Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Starlink and Ukraine War discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, too general. IMHO, Scotts been doing a lot of phoning it in these days.
I'll cut Scott some slack here. He works full time, plus has a busy family life. He doesn't rely on income from YouTube, in fact has given a large chunk of it away.

Despite a hectic schedule, the guy is always looking to take on more. For over a decade he's shared his knowledge of rocketry, Kerbal, online flight simulators, etc. This has given many fans the impression he's already a pilot. Scott has recenting sought to fix that, by starting to earnestly work on his Private Pilot License. Guarantee that effort will eventually pay off for viewers, by adding another dimension to his commentary.

Reactions: Grendal and mspohr
I'll cut Scott some slack here. He works full time, plus has a busy family life. He doesn't rely on income from YouTube, in fact has given a large chunk of it away.

Despite a hectic schedule, the guy is always looking to take on more. For over a decade he's shared his knowledge of rocketry, Kerbal, online flight simulators, etc. This has given many fans the impression he's already a pilot. Scott has recenting sought to fix that, by starting to earnestly work on his Private Pilot License. Guarantee that effort will eventually pay off for viewers, by adding another dimension to his commentary.

Yeah, I didn’t mean to dunk on him like the way it sounded. It’s just that I’ve caught him a few times saying things that aren’t quite correct. He’s behind the news cycle by a few days. That could just point to me having too much time on my hands keeping up to date on various crap!

Reactions: GSP
But they don't have that many Starlink terminals right? so what good is an app without a terminal?

?? They've been shipping in lots of terminals. And powerwalls. And solar panels. They even made an amazing youtube video showing how to field jury rig a powerwall and solar panel together to power Starlink.

But they don't have that many Starlink terminals right? so what good is an app without a terminal?

Yeah, its a bit of a nothing burger. Of course its great that Elon is sending them hardware, but the Starlink app is simply a tool to be used with a terminal. To wit, anyone can download the e-trade app, but without opening an account...

Last edited:
While this is more focused on the non-starlink attacks, its an interesting read nonetheless--basically, its a a reasoned, public domain description of what may have happened. Notably absent is speculation on the identity of the attacker.
Looks like they were able to hack into the Berlin ground station and from there hack into terminals and "reconfigure" them so that they were inoperable. SATCOM says they will have to visit each terminal to reprogram or replace them.

Ah, got it.

So certainly there's a depth of aerospace design and manufacturing in the Ukraine, and its certainly worth contemplating what happens to that expertise in a future where the Ukraine allies with western nations.

From a US perspective however, its kind of a non-starter (hence my "don't see any risk/conflict" comment...which in hindsight may have been better articulated as "don't see any opportunity"...) The root issue is that any kind of relationship is going to be too volatile and well out of bounds relative to national security. For obvious reasons, the DOJ tightly controls certain elements of US rocket technology....more than most of the other stuff we come up with, including a lot of other defense technologies, and even when it comes to friendly/western countries. That's even before you consider Vlad losing this round and still maintaining power--no way that plays out without a round 2 in the Ukraine.

From a SpaceX perspective, that kind of partnership is just not their MO. They're highly verticalized and work at an unprecedented pace. Leveraging the legacy industry base in the Ukraine (just as anywhere else) would go against both of those concepts. There's a logistical element in play as well--most Russian/Ukrainian space hardware is sent via rail out to the various launch facilities in Russia/Kazakhstan, with some stuff being flown in. In a hypothetical spaceX+Ukraine relationship, hardware would have to be transported quite a ways away--certainly to the US for the foreseeable future, but even in the fantasy world where Starship is used for PTP, any of those PTP ports will likely be a long way from the Ukraine.
I imagine Ukrainian aerospace engineers could add to SpaceX knowledge but agree, DOD would never allow without some Seveneves event requiring an acceleration of our space faring pace of evolution.

Reactions: bxr140
Wash Post (and other outlets) reporting that Elon didnt give these to Ukraine. US taxpayers footed a $3million dollar bill towards the cost...

On Tuesday, the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) announced it has purchased more than 1,330 terminals from SpaceX to send to Ukraine, while the company donated nearly 3,670 terminals and the Internet service itself.
While the agency initially called it a “private sector donation valued at roughly $10 million,” it did not specify how much it is contributing for the equipment or for the cost of transportation.

On Thursday, USAID spokesperson Rebecca Chalif said in a statement that the “delivery of Starlink terminals were made possible by a range of stakeholders, whose combined contributions valued over $15 million and facilitated the procurement, international flights, ground transportation, and satellite Internet service of 5,000 Starlink terminals.”

Tremper, who was participating in a panel discussion at the C4ISRNET Conference, went on to say that Starlink was able to shut down the attack with incredible speed.
“The next day [after reports about the Russian jamming effort hit the media], Starlink had slung a line of code and fixed it,” Tremper said. “And suddenly that [attack] was not effective anymore. From [the] EW technologist’s perspective, that is fantastic … and how they did that was eye-watering to me."
"We need to be able to have [Starlink’s] agility,” he added. “We need to be able to change our electromagnetic posture to be able to change, very dynamically, what we’re trying to do without losing capability along the way.”

More rants from Rogozin, now threatening Elon (but really it’s just Rogozin sucking up to Putin). Elon responded and included an English translation of Rogozin’s tweet. Though it is not entirely inaccurate to call the Azov Battalion “Nazis”.

8A214B06-4AC9-4286-87CE-55A1BE896F2D.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Dave EV