Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Starlink in Oz

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How many Australian Tesla owners are posting via one of these?
20220216_140404.jpg

Reactions: Hairyman and GilR
My mate got it installed on his farm a few months ago, went from 8mbps on a 4G connection to 220mbps on his Starlink. He does find that he has drop outs a handful of times a day whilst sitting on Teams meetings, but he loves it.

I keep reminding him that it's a homing beacon for an alien abduction.;)

• Funny
Reactions: Shock-On-T
My mate got it installed on his farm a few months ago, went from 8mbps on a 4G connection to 220mbps on his Starlink. He does find that he has drop outs a handful of times a day whilst sitting on Teams meetings, but he loves it.

I keep reminding him that it's a homing beacon for an alien abduction.;)

I wonder if he could watch a satellite tracking map and predict when his outages are going to be.

My son in law and daughter have replaced their SkyMuster with Starlink. Max speed 360Mbps and averaging around 240Mbps. Latency great. Power consumption difference for their off-grid setup is negligible. They are immensely pleased with Starlink. They also skipped using the Starlink router.

My son in law and daughter have replaced their SkyMuster with Starlink. Max speed 360Mbps and averaging around 240Mbps. Latency great. Power consumption difference for their off-grid setup is negligible. They are immensely pleased with Starlink. They also skipped using the Starlink router.
latest App update allows you to turn the heater off completely saving consumption. Heater not needed in most of OZ

• Helpful
Reactions: Hairyman
latest App update allows you to turn the heater off completely saving consumption. Heater not needed in most of OZ

Did not know this so thank you. Went into setup and it defaulted to Automatic so I set it to off. Given there was an automatic setting, it may not make much difference but as you say, we don't really need it. When I first received it, I checked and it was drawing approx 100w so I'll check it again soon.

Cheers

Ordered Day 1. Only just been offered and accepted delivery (currently at San Fran hub). Grafton, NSW region (only Skymuster available). About 3 months overdue from "late 2021", but can't wait! Living off, if lucky & when the stars align .. 1 bar of 4G Telstra now.

Does it have to be in a fixed location or can one use it everywhere?
You're not supposed to move it from the address you've applied for (there is only a limited amount of bandwidth available in a given geographical area at any one time, so they need to manage this). It's also only available when close enough to a ground station (the satellite you're using has to be able to see you and the ground station at the same time) - so it won't work out in the middle of the Pacific Ocean or anything right now.

Reactions: tragic
I put in an order in December last year and it was telling me it was expected for my area in mid 2022. But I just got an email this morning telling me to confirm my order and that an expected ship date is in 2 weeks time. So that’s a bonus. Looking forward to trying it out. We have NBN FTTN and get fairly decent speeds but when it rains we get drop outs all the time. Drives me bonkers as I run a business from home.
Currently get around just under 100Mbps down and just under 40Mbps up (I do pay extra for better upload speeds because I have to upload very large files often for work). So as long as Starlink gets me equal or better than that. But fewer drop outs I’ll be happy. And by drop outs I mean several minutes at a time. Ours drops out for 10-15 minutes some times in the wet. I know Starlink can drop out some times in between satellites but from what I understand that usually only lasts a few seconds.

I put in an order in December last year and it was telling me it was expected for my area in mid 2022. But I just got an email this morning telling me to confirm my order and that an expected ship date is in 2 weeks time. So that’s a bonus. Looking forward to trying it out. We have NBN FTTN and get fairly decent speeds but when it rains we get drop outs all the time. Drives me bonkers as I run a business from home.
Currently get around just under 100Mbps down and just under 40Mbps up (I do pay extra for better upload speeds because I have to upload very large files often for work). So as long as Starlink gets me equal or better than that. But fewer drop outs I’ll be happy. And by drop outs I mean several minutes at a time. Ours drops out for 10-15 minutes some times in the wet. I know Starlink can drop out some times in between satellites but from what I understand that usually only lasts a few seconds.
I’m posting this reply via my Starlink. I’m in the same situation as you. The starlink connection is mostly OK but does drop out from time to time too, especially during heavy rain.

Reactions: muddie