Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Starlink in Oz

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had Starlink for a few months now. The property I used it on has no 4G reception and is totally off-grid so Starlink has been a godsend as a link to the outside world.

You can move it between locations by changing the service address online, but it depends on whether there is capacity at the new location. So the danger is that you move it, and then your original location gets to capacity and you can't switch back.

Reactions: adee and ICUDoc
Ok thanks. From looking at images of the dish it looked like it could only move up and down along a single axis so I figured if that was the case you would have to at least have it pointing in the right general direction. I didn’t realise it can also rotate and therefore change direction as well. I see that now and that makes more sense.

Its has a pretty clever drive system. When gears a & b move in unison the dish tilts, when they move in opposition the dish rotates.

1645349395374.png

My Dishy arrived today. Initial tests just having it sit in my back yard are pretty good. Download speed is way better than my NBN and upload is on par so that's pretty good.
Hopefully when it gets up on the roof it will be a bit better
Heavy rain here in Sydney yesterday caused extended dropouts during the entire day. Unusual events but I had to fallback to my NBN so I could keep working. Yes I have NBN and Starlink being a fulltime remote worker post COVID

We suffered the same drop outs yesterday up here. Probably because all Starlink customers in Australia use the Sydney POP. I hope they put in a new POP soon. I live 4kms away from where a brand new big fat fibre cable from the US lands here on the Sunshine Coast. That would be a prefect spot!

A few news sites, both mainstream and blog-style are incorrectly reporting this as Elon Musk donating them, which is disappointing as it takes credit away from the Aussie company NetVault which is doing it.

So down here which way is best to orientate the dish? So it can move on a North-South axis or an East-West axis?
It has 2 motors which allows it to tilt and rotate. By rotating it can tilt in any direction. (even though the slot underneath suggests it can only tilt one way). So it does not matter how you position it.

Basically put it in a location where it has clear view of the sky.
Once it powers up the dish will go from stowed position (position in the box) to a horizontal position, then it will automatically adjust by tilting and rotating.

Once adjusted it will basically stay in that position.

From there it uses the phased array antenna in the dish (electronic directional pointing) to lock on to and follow the satellite signals rather than physically move the antenna everytime. The dish has a 100° cone of electronic signal pointing in any direction. So the limit is about 40 degrees up from horizontal in any direction.

The satellites move in a 53° orbital plane so it will be very approximately travelling SW to NE or NW to SE and the dish can pick up signals about 40 degrees up from the horizon so long as clear sight of the sky in its 100° signal cone

The starlink app will tell you if the dish detects any obstruction - will show up in red. Getting a position free of obstructions is part of the initial positioning.

Last edited:
Over the weekend I turned off and disconnected our NBN Skymuster service. So far Starlink has performed very well. >10x lower latency makes a difference.

I have asked them about whether they are going to make a DC only power supply but no reply yet. I have seen a couple of mods for this on the interwebs but they involve fairly heavy surgery on the power brick!

I've mounted the antenna for my starlink kit on the underside of the (glass) roof of my MS using 4 gopro suction cups. Works a treat as a non-destructive mod for the antenna so I can still use it when I get to the (remote) destination, but also while driving there.

I didn't expect this to work as well as it does, the phased array beam forming seems to be implemented and working well on the moving vehicle already with the only real issue being the lack of regulatory approval. With the stalk of the antenna being able to move freely, it struggles to try and orient itself of course, and after a few minutes gives up, claiming the motors are stuck. But it all keeps working nevertheless. The only annoying part is to be able to stow the dish so I can stick it back into its pelicase I need to power cycle the kit so the motor stuck warning resets and it allows to be stowed.

Forgot to mention: I'm headed to Tassie next weekend with my S and starlink. All within officially supported areas, so am expecting this to work just fine. Staying at a remote cabin where we don't even have 3G. The week after that headed to Birsdville where officially there is no starlink coverage, but using current constellation calculations should have less than 2% of time with no connection (assuming no inter-satellite links). Headed down there via flying into Mt Isa and 4WD rental. Mt Isa has slightly worse coverage with up to 7% of time disconnected.

I assume/hope they don't disable the kit based on geofencing and just let it do best effort. In July I'm driving up to Palm Cove - again will be entering officially no-service area, but should be connected >99% of the time. Will report back if that all works.

A few months back, I saw a video of a guy taking his Starlink away from the home location (I think in Regional Vic) and I am pretty sure it stopped working at a particular radius (<100km) so the assumtion was there there was geolocation (at that time). Presumably to allocate bandwidth appropriately.
However things might have chhanged with more satellites and loosening of restrictions relating to mobile.
So it is an interesting experiment!
Perhaps now there is now sufficient bandwidth most places so that it does not matter if a very small percentage of people go mobile & they have relaxed things accordingly? I have a longer term interest in a boat installation.