Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Starlink in Oz

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few months back, I saw a video of a guy taking his Starlink away from the home location (I think in Regional Vic) and I am pretty sure it stopped working at a particular radius (<100km) so the assumtion was there there was geolocation (at that time). Presumably to allocate bandwidth appropriately.
However things might have chhanged with more satellites and loosening of restrictions relating to mobile.
So it is an interesting experiment!
Perhaps now there is now sufficient bandwidth most places so that it does not matter if a very small percentage of people go mobile & they have relaxed things accordingly? I have a longer term interest in a boat installation.
They have enabled the Portability option now for $35 a month so moving StarLink is possible.

Reactions: doggy1
I have portability enabled on mine - it's now an official option with the caveat that you might get bandwidth restricted if you enter a congested cell. But even before it was officially enabled, portability worked fine on mine for 100s of km away. The difference now is it costs $35 extra a month (or some similar amount).

Reactions: moa999 and doggy1
Another interesting observation: when moving with starlink on in the car, at some point the antenna stops trying to find an optimum sky angle and just sets itself to flat/straight up. That was before I attached it to the roof. So evidently the "use while on the move" code is already implement, as is the beam steering. In debug info however, the "in motion" flag is always true. Assuming that refers to dishy being in motion.

Photos of the setup please Zeedoctor.
as requested. Pics taken in garage so a bit dark sorry, but you can see how the gopro suction cup holders (bought them here: GoPro Suction Cup Mount) are used to wedge the antenna inbetween and hold it up with the plastic arms. Fit i snug enough it doesn't jiggle or bounce, thought I'd need some foam of sorts to pad it, but no, works fine as is.

The access point is on the floor powered by a 150W Jaycar 12V inverter. Visible laying on its side in the first picture behind the shotgun seat.

Important disclaimer: Because SpaceX do not yet have an ESIM (earth station in motion) license for the frequency bands in use, using this setup while driving is probably illegal. So don't do it. Stop the car before turning it on. At which point it may be fine to use.

IMG_2874.JPG

IMG_2875.JPG

Rather impressively, while I was out in the sticks yesterday with Zero-G mobile reception (instead of 4 or 5G, satellites in microgravity, zero-G, get it?) the Foreflight apps on the iPad and iPhone decided it was time to do the big trimonthly data update. That's a ~16GB download per device. About 45 minutes later, both devices were updated. That was faster even than on my VDSL/FTTB connection at home in the Sydney CBD! Downloads peaked at 230 Mbps, with an average of 120 Mbps.

We were pleased.

Haha. I had no idea I was so inspiring!

I'm actually writing this from a place in north eastern Tasmania far outside any mobile coverage only connected through Starlink. It's been fast and reliable since we got here a few days ago.

The post you've shared is using the old dishy (round one). That one could be disassembled. The new one I have can only be disassembled destructively - since I also use it from static locations as originally intended (like right now) where I need the motors in the antenna to function and the mount to be intact, that's not an option.

I never have anyone in my back seat anyway so the mount protruding down into head banging reach doesn't bother me.

I barely notice the latency. I'm not a gamer either, but I run several terminal sessions to servers around the world. Combined with the 200ms latency to a server on the east coast US or 300ms to Europe, this makes a negligible difference to me when typing.

Facetime calls are better quality than via my TPG FTTB/VDSL connect in Sydney CBD. Repeatedly so. Makes me wonder if TPG are not tuning QoS so as to encourage people to use their for-pay telephony services. Not that they'd admit to that of course.

• Helpful
Reactions: Hairyman and ICUDoc