Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Starlink installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not quite sure where to post this, if I guessed wrong feel free to move it. Due to my location in Arizona my only option is satellite (Hughesnet) for internet service. I believe it was installed using coaxial cable from the dish to the power supply in my house. Can I use the existing coaxial cable when it is time to install starlink? If not, is using an adaptor, coax to ethernet an option?

reddit has some great forums for Starlink, but in short no you will need to use the provided cable that comes with the dish. It's just some sort of CATx cable (not COAX) but it's shielded, beefy, etc. The dish has enough power to melt snow so i don't know if they are using some proprietary PoE or PoE++ or what. I have not seen one personally just going off pics and what I read different places. I wanted to pre-wire for my dish but have decided to just wait until I get a look at the cable they provide.

• Informative
Reactions: SageBrush
Probably should be moved here:
SpaceX

To address your question though no that won't work.

That's a basic install video- but the cable from the dish also supplies power, and runs from dish to power supply ethernet at both ends.... then another port on the power supply connects it to the router.

Actually I think there MIGHT be a way you could technically hook it up, but it'd be goofy as hell and no idea how well (if at all) it'd work.

Your issue is the Starlink power supply really since it wants ethernet in and out and supplies power out on both ports (to the router and dish respectively).

So:

Coming FROM the dish in theory you could daisy chain a POE injector to the dish to give it power, then connect an Ethernet to MOCA adapter to the other injector port to bridge to coax, then a MOCA to ethernet on the other end you would plug into...another POE injector, the other port going to the Starlink router.

Removing the Starlink power supply entirely from the system and letting each POE injector power the dish and router.

You can check with starlink, but I'd be mildly surprised if they were willing to support such a config even if you get it working... and I can't imagine buying 2 injectors and 2 MOCA adapters would actually be any cheaper than just running the 1 ethernet cable that comes with the system into the house.

Last edited:
Reactions: house9
@jjrandorin
Not a Starlink forum...

I received a report requesting it be moved to spacex, and also if you look 2 other people mentioned that this was the place the starlink discussions were happening. It was in the model 3 forum so it certainly didnt go there, and other members (and the person who reported it) thought this is where it went.

In the spacex forum I find the following starlink threads:

Fibre versus Starlink Discussion
SpaceX F9 - Starlink V1.0-L17 - LC-39A
SpaceX Internet Satellite Network: Starlink

all on the first page.

I will move it to off topic instead.

Last edited: