Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Starlink UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We're only about 300 to 400m from the fibre cabinet, in a straight line, but the copper takes a tortuous route up one side of the valley before coming back down our side, hence the poor performance. Even if we had copper in a straight run from the cabinet we'd get much faster speeds, I'm sure. The slow speeds have taken some getting used to, as our last house was only about 80m from the exchange - we could see it from the end of our drive.

Reactions: OneTinyFish
We're only about 300 to 400m from the fibre cabinet, in a straight line, but the copper takes a tortuous route up one side of the valley before coming back down our side, hence the poor performance. Even if we had copper in a straight run from the cabinet we'd get much faster speeds, I'm sure. The slow speeds have taken some getting used to, as our last house was only about 80m from the exchange - we could see it from the end of our drive.

Have you tried pushing that with OpenReach via your provider? Have they tried swapping you to another pair?

Have you tried pushing that with OpenReach via your provider? Have they tried swapping you to another pair?

Yes, all five of us on this side of the valley have tried everything, but the bottom line is that there is just a very long copper run from the cabinet to our side of the valley. The cable runs all the way up the other side, for a mile or two, then crosses to our side and runs back to us. We've had a quote to run a new, shorter, cable, but that's a non-starter, as Openreach can't use their statutory powers to put poles across the valley, as they can only use those powers for the provision of phone lines, and the phone lines work. Our best bet at the moment is to try and find a way to get a fibre strung below an LV power cable that takes a more direct route. Openreach can do this, technically, but they are being awkward about negotiating a pole sharing agreement with the DNO.

Reactions: OneTinyFish
Looks like about the same cost as monthly SkyTV with all the gubbins. We gave up Sky 4 years ago due to them constantly raising prices and it being generally crap.

For hard-to-reach broadband services it looks pretty good. We’re about to start spending £50 per month for commercial grade 4G LTE broadband so it’s not much of a stretch from that sort of money with 3x headline performance and half the latency.

Looks like a race between Elon & Manx telecom FTTP. Recently lettered PSM in next phase of rollout. Not as cheap as Openreach but you’re likely to get it quicker than most of us. Fibre Broadband FAQs - Manx Telecom

I'm never going to get it. Manx Telecom FTTP only covers a fraction of the properties on the island and they've recently come under fire for advertising a small stretch of homes by a southern beach as being eligible for FTTP where there are large swathes of the capital which don't have it.

My best ADSL sync is 4/5Mbps down, and I currently get broadband microwaved to the mountain and back down again the other end. It's quite good, limited to 40Mbps/5Mbps on a good day.

Compare that to the Starlink beta (which is in effect a minimum viable product)- 50-150 Mbps, latency between 10-20 milliseconds and no mention of data caps.$99 per months is a steal compared to what's currently on offer.

Starlink, even if it was available here, is a bargain compared to that. 50Mbs and lower latency than a fibre connection. I'm not sure what you are comparing it to to be considered expensive.

Apparently Starlink aim for latency of 20-40 milliseconds. That’s pretty damn good. I don’t know what fibre connection you’re familiar with, though, because I would expect latency to be much lower. I start getting annoyed if mine is above 10ms:

Speedtest by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test

That is on FTTC not FTTP. Mind you, my download was a bit slow on that test - I usually get 1.1Gbs.

Reactions: Adopado
Apparently Starlink aim for latency of 20-40 milliseconds. That’s pretty damn good. I don’t know what fibre connection you’re familiar with, though, because I would expect latency to be much lower. I start getting annoyed if mine is above 10ms:

Speedtest by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test

That is on FTTC not FTTP. Mind you, my download was a bit slow on that test - I usually get 1.1Gbs.

I'm on FTTC...normally about 250Mb down. Pings are usually about 10Ms

I'm on FTTC...normally about 250Mb down. Pings are usually about 10Ms

To illustrate the variation from the same basic service, we're also on FTTC, just run a test and we're getting just over 6Mbps down with 34ms latency.

That's pretty typical for us, doesn't ever seem to change very much, probably because our speed is limited almost entirely by the length of the copper loop, rather than traffic.

To illustrate the variation from the same basic service, we're also on FTTC, just run a test and we're getting just over 6Mbps down with 34ms latency.

That's pretty typical for us, doesn't ever seem to change very much, probably because our speed is limited almost entirely by the length of the copper loop, rather than traffic.
Almost certainly.

There's a local crew not far from me and they are doing great things installing their own fibre network. maybe you can get Farmer Giles to dig a trench for you?

B4RN: The World's Fastest Rural Broadband

Reactions: Glan gluaisne
We're hoping to do something similar, if we can get funding via the Gigabit scheme. There are only five of us though, and only two of the five have a need for higher speeds because they are now trying to work from home. In our case the fibre needs to run overhead, across the stream in the floor of the valley, and it's the cost and legal hassles associated with doing that which is the main issue right now. We can't easily put the fibre underground, as the only route would be along the lanes, plus there's now a prohibition on running services using small rural bridges. I ran into this latter problem when we had power put in, and with not being able to connect to mains water or drainage, we weren't allowed to run anything cross/under the bridge. Means we don't have mains water or drainage, and had to run the power cable overhead, which cost a lot at the time. I'm kicking myself for not having thought to add a fibre to the consents for the poles etc at the time, as it's this which is currently one of the reasons that Openreach are being a bit awkward.

We're hoping to do something similar, if we can get funding via the Gigabit scheme. There are only five of us though, and only two of the five have a need for higher speeds because they are now trying to work from home. In our case the fibre needs to run overhead, across the stream in the floor of the valley, and it's the cost and legal hassles associated with doing that which is the main issue right now. We can't easily put the fibre underground, as the only route would be along the lanes, plus there's now a prohibition on running services using small rural bridges. I ran into this latter problem when we had power put in, and with not being able to connect to mains water or drainage, we weren't allowed to run anything cross/under the bridge. Means we don't have mains water or drainage, and had to run the power cable overhead, which cost a lot at the time. I'm kicking myself for not having thought to add a fibre to the consents for the poles etc at the time, as it's this which is currently one of the reasons that Openreach are being a bit awkward.

Our phone lines run (quite precariously in places) underneath the power lines.

I don’t think it’s good for them, it probably adds a fair bit of noise from interference.

I have a Geochron Digital at home. One of the features it offers is to show the various, and numerous, satellites that are in orbit right now. This is just the Starlink layer...

Geochron UK – The Finest World Clock Ever Made

CC20E4C0-F21F-4B51-84CC-B027D3B0C52C.jpeg