Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Starlink UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've now placed my order but as usual I did not fully read the terms and condition in advance. To my horror I now discover that the agreement is only partly covered under English law.

In Section 10.

...will be governed by and construed in accordance with English law and subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England and Wales. ......
For Services provided on Mars, or in transit to Mars via Starship or other spacecraft, the parties recognize Mars as a free planet and that no Earth-based government has authority or sovereignty over Martian activities. Accordingly, Disputes will be settled through self-governing principles, established in good faith, at the time of Martian settlement.

That is what I call future proofing a legal agreement! :)

Moderator comment - merged with "Starlink" but kept new name for UK specific use

I know it is not strictly cars but has anyone been using the Elon's Starlink broadband in the UK? There is report about people getting 400Mb speeds which is really awesome. But not cheap at £89/mth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well here goes, Received my Starlink a couple of weeks ago and now I am going to try and see if it does what it says on the Beta tin. Set up looks easy (attach dish to stand and plug in power cable).

Unboxing Starlkink.jpg
Unboxed Starlink.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: ItsNotAboutTheMoney
Grr...lucky you. Still enjoying 1-2 mbps here while I wait...
Good luck!👍
Wow your internet is very poor....
I get 10mb (on a good day) down, 0.8 up.
I have it on order and am waiting....
But I get quite annoyed when I read online, people in towns ordering it when they have 40/50mb connection already...

I would be well happy with that kind of speed compared to my 10mb which, at times, frequently drops out.
But I suppose I live in the countryside, so you have to have pants internet, it's the law.

Reactions: M3noob
Wow your internet is very poor....
I get 10mb (on a good day) down, 0.8 up.
I have it on order and am waiting....
But I get quite annoyed when I read online, people in towns ordering it when they have 40/50mb connection already...

I would be well happy with that kind of speed compared to my 10mb which, at times, frequently drops out.
But I suppose I live in the countryside, so you have to have pants internet, it's the law.
10mb? What ya complaining about? We get half that and I doubt starlink would work either with the trees and hills.
Ruralism I cry, ruralism by the urbanites. No mobile signal either.

I’ll keep quiet about living in uncharted territory and getting 22mb/s…

i wonder how much truth there is about trees affecting signals. I’ve lived here 23 years and every few years, another metre was added to my TV aerial pole To compensate for the now massive trees in the way. Signal went out again a couple of weeks ago and I was resigned to ordering freesat as my pole is already 4 metres above my chimney.

Along came the TV man and put a squitty little super aerial inside my loft - full signal right through the densest part of the trees!
Took down the external aerial so no more bird poo on my solar panels. Result!

Reactions: M3noob
10mb? What ya complaining about? We get half that and I doubt starlink would work either with the trees and hills.
Ruralism I cry, ruralism by the urbanites. No mobile signal either.
Less than 10 you can claim for a 'USO' grant £3500. If you have enough of you below 10, you can use the grant together to try and get the install cost down for fibre.
But whilst we get 10, it will frequently drop due to noise on the line. (Phone calls drop out as well)
Which is great when your trying to do a video call with the accountant... or whoever.
Also once the kids get home from school the internet is next to useless.

We also have no 4G , even 2G for a phone call is awful.
Trying to run a business on an intermittent 10mb ADSL is tough.

I’ll keep quiet about living in uncharted territory and getting 22mb/s…

i wonder how much truth there is about trees affecting signals. I’ve lived here 23 years and every few years, another metre was added to my TV aerial pole To compensate for the now massive trees in the way. Signal went out again a couple of weeks ago and I was resigned to ordering freesat as my pole is already 4 metres above my chimney.

Along came the TV man and put a squitty little super aerial inside my loft - full signal right through the densest part of the trees!
Took down the external aerial so no more bird poo on my solar panels. Result!
There's no real comparison between an ordinary RF TV signal and the tight beam-formed phased-array that Starlink uses. Bear in mind that Starlink is receiving AND transmitting to Low Earth Orbit satellites that are crossing the visible sky at a huge rate of knots. The dish is constantly moving the beam from sat to sayt without breaking the connection. Tear-downs have shown that there really is nothing like Starlink's technology in the current consumer world. Musk himself has said that they are losing a fortune on each setup as the dish alone costs twice what they are currently charging.

The signal is very dependant on having a wide, clear view of the sky. Even a single tree will affect the signal, even rendering it unusable. This will improve as they increase the size of the constellation over time.

Reactions: Dilly and 26ct2143
Less than 10 you can claim for a 'USO' grant £3500. If you have enough of you below 10, you can use the grant together to try and get the install cost down for fibre.
Aware but sadly the hamlet has less than a dozen houses several miles from a fibre junction and the guys that could get involved for a DIY job are either 'too busy' or too cheap. The logistics of trenching and laying cable is as daunting as the cost of the stuff with narrow lanes, high banks and hedges and same need to cross roadways Yes, it can be done but needs everyone on board. It'd be a lot easier if one had rights to DIY access telephone poles.
A better way would be one receiving station on the highest hill but the owner is an a-hole and cell co's won't for the small number of folk benefitting.