Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Starlink UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
House in Devon is about three miles from the nearest FTTC cabinet and the phone line runs on telegraph poles across the moor (apart from when it gets taken out by a tractor with a load of hay).
Max of 2Mbps on ADSL, when the router didn't get taken out by lightning (burns on the shelf prove this...)
Airband claimed a service...in fact they got a government grant. But no, due to trees...
I was about to give up, as there is no mobile coverage in the house, and you have to go up the moor to get a signal, when I got an external 4G antenna on the chimney. Success and I'm running a Three unlimited SIM for £20/month with 60 Mbps down and 20 Mbps up.
I do however suffer from Starlink photo bombing my astro photography ;)
Lots of trees mean Starlink dish would have to be on the ridge of the roof which National Park might not like, or in the field...a long cable.
So I'm a candidate for Starlink, but sticking with Three, as it's cheaper and not much slower, with no interruptions.
Also not convinced that Starlink will be unlimited...used over a TB of data in a month thanks to streaming UHD ;)

Reactions: 26ct2143
House in Devon is about three miles from the nearest FTTC cabinet and the phone line runs on telegraph poles across the moor (apart from when it gets taken out by a tractor with a load of hay).
Max of 2Mbps on ADSL, when the router didn't get taken out by lightning (burns on the shelf prove this...)
Airband claimed a service...in fact they got a government grant. But no, due to trees...
I was about to give up, as there is no mobile coverage in the house, and you have to go up the moor to get a signal, when I got an external 4G antenna on the chimney. Success and I'm running a Three unlimited SIM for £20/month with 60 Mbps down and 20 Mbps up.
I do however suffer from Starlink photo bombing my astro photography ;)
Lots of trees mean Starlink dish would have to be on the ridge of the roof which National Park might not like, or in the field...a long cable.
So I'm a candidate for Starlink, but sticking with Three, as it's cheaper and not much slower, with no interruptions.
Also not convinced that Starlink will be unlimited...used over a TB of data in a month thanks to streaming UHD ;)
It's interesting to hear how others manage...
I got a 4G dish on the roof and connected to the local Three mast via 4G.
For us the download is the same, 10mb, but with much worse latency.

Turns out the Three mast doesn't have the bandwidth to cope with demand, so they turn everyone down to 10mb

Blimey are you all living out in the sticks?

I get 630Mb down and 40Mb up with Virgin Media :cool:

Nope 😀 ... 1Gbps Connection here

I'm thinking of adding Starlink as failover...

With Powerwalls & Starlink it'll be a pretty good failover setup if there's ever any communication issues with rolling localised Blackouts in the UK.

Even if Mobile Phone towers are offline

Screenshot_20220530-173825_Speedtest.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Nick77
Anyone in UK have any experience of the Starlink business version. Is it even available in UK yet?

Particularly interested in reliability, upload (sustained high data rate site to internet), latency and ability to access multiple devices from internet.

Looking as an alternative to a multiple LTE solution in use at present and want to move off a localised mass shared public network.

Anyone in UK have any experience of the Starlink business version. Is it even available in UK yet?

Particularly interested in reliability, upload (sustained high data rate site to internet), latency and ability to access multiple devices from internet.

Looking as an alternative to a multiple LTE solution in use at present and want to move off a localised mass shared public network.
Not sure it's available yet... (for UK) although if not, v soon.
Looks very expensive per month.
Also given our starlink speed is dropping off currently (down from around 250 to 150 and dropping) I think I would be wary of advertised speeds vs real speeds.
No doubt the mass roll out of starlinks has had a negative effect on download speeds.
I would be surprised if the latency on the Business version would be any different to the standard one, since it's just the physical travel distance that causes alot of it. Currently our latency is around 40ms, which hasn't changed much since the start.
A static public IP on the business version is what I miss massively on the standard version, although there are ways around this (ZeroTier, VPS, VPNs etc)
On balance I'm happy with our starlink, since we used to be on a 13mb ADSL and 4G in our rural area is useless. So there is little alternative at our farm location.

Our company uses Starlink on our construction sites (Construction company). Seen many starlink boxes turn up for our IT department.

They had the new square dishes delivered the other week and saw one outside being used at our head office.

Not sure how reliable it is but we seem to us them on our site for teams of around 20-50 people.

Could have a ask around for you but not sure who to ask in our IT department

Our company uses Starlink on our construction sites (Construction company). Seen many starlink boxes turn up for our IT department.

They had the new square dishes delivered the other week and saw one outside being used at our head office.

Do you know if that is the business version or as I suspect (as @26ct2143 aligns with my thoughts on availability of business version) the standard version? Although, my understanding is that business uses a larger dish which may explain the different dishes.

Do you know if that is the business version or as I suspect (as @26ct2143 aligns with my thoughts on availability of business version) the standard version? Although, my understanding is that business uses a larger dish which may explain the different dishes.
Not sure if its business. I'll keep an eye out for a delivery box and take a snapshot of the details about the dish on the side. Usually one or 2 every month.

Reactions: MrBadger