Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Starlink

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you live in NoCA with PG&E and the frequent Public Safety Power Shutoffs (at every possible wildfire or storm), then you experience outages with your ISP. Mine is Comcast. The Gigabit speed is great when up, but when down, I am dead in the water with no internet access (...very bad cell coverage at my home, where I use WiFi calling). Even though I have Powerwalls, the Comcast network relies on hubs and nodes that need power. If my neighborhood is under a PSPS, then Comcast goers down in a couple of hours. Oh, and I do have Xfinity/Comcast video and VoIP phone lines.

So I got HughesNet satellite internet as a backup. Sort of like the restaurant where 'not only is the food bad, but the portions are small'. Slow service (like 25 Megs down), bandwidth cap (like 5 Gig per month), and pricey (like$80/month). So I can't wait to tear the big ugly HughesNet dish off of my roof and use Starlink as a real backup.

Do cell tower also go down? We have shut off here in SoCal too, but our backup is T-Mobile hotspot. It's 80Mbps down and 20Mbps up free 20GB per month per line. Cell service doesn't seem to go down here. I think they have their own backup generators for safety purposes.

Do cell tower also go down? We have shut off here in SoCal too, but our backup is T-Mobile hotspot. It's 80Mbps down and 20Mbps up free 20GB per month per line. Cell service doesn't seem to go down here. I think they have their own backup generators for safety purposes.

As per my post, my cell service is bad, so not a good backup solution. Hot-spots? 'Not-spots'. And, yes, even if cell towers have batteries/UPS/generators, with a 3 or 4 day PG&E PSPS they eventually go off line too.

I have Xfinity(Comcast) wrapped into my association dues for the next 10 years. At savings at around $60 a month per home. Signing up for Starlink will be like having two internet providers and going to the same web. Unless I moved, it's a waste of money for me although I'd like to sign up and support the cause.

I got the offer too but won't be subscribing because my Xfinity service is both faster and cheaper. For areas with poor or no connections, Starlink is going to be a real win, but at least so far it doesn't make sense in well built out areas.

I received an email from Starlink with the subject line, Starline now available. It took me 30 seconds to place the order.

mail

Starlink is now available in limited supply in your service area.

During beta, users can expect to see data speeds vary from 50Mb/s to 150Mb/s and latency from 20ms to 40ms in most locations over the next several months as we enhance the Starlink system. There will also be brief periods of no connectivity at all.

As we launch more satellites, install more ground stations and improve our networking software, data speed, latency and uptime will improve dramatically. For latency, we expect to achieve 16ms to 19ms by summer 2021.

mail

To check availability for your location, visit Starlink.com and re-enter your email and service address. If available, you will be immediately redirected to the Starlink order page.

Availability is limited so orders must be completed within 15 minutes of landing on the order page. If you are not able to order at this time, the Starlink team will continue to send updates as more capacity becomes available.

Thank you for your interest in Starlink and your continued support!

mail

Order Confirmed

mail

Order Number:

ORD-******-*****-*

Service Address:

**** ********* *** Worthington, OH 43085, USA

Shipping Address:

**** ********* *** Worthington, OH 43085, US

Due to increased order volume, orders may take 1-2 months to ship.

Thank you for participating in Starlink’s Beta program!

During beta, users can expect to see data speeds vary from 50Mb/s to 150Mb/s and latency from 20ms to 40ms in most locations over the next several months as we enhance the Starlink system. There will also be brief periods of no connectivity at all.

As we launch more satellites, install more ground stations and improve our networking software, data speed, latency and uptime will
improve dramatically. For latency, we expect to achieve 16ms to 19ms by summer 2021.

Your Starlink Kit will arrive with your Starlink, wifi router, power supply, cables and mounting tripod.

Download the Starlink app for iOS or for Android to ensure no obstructions (trees, poles, etc.) will interrupt service at your desired install location.

In some cases, a roof install may be required. For roof mounts, visit the Starlink Shop. For more information or to cancel your order, sign in to your account to contact Customer Support.

Reactions: Rarity
Ordered! Now we wait until our number comes up. Does anyone know how to figure out what your position in line is, using your order number?

Attachments

• 4470646C-BD2F-4837-AED9-8CEBE1050AA8.png
    4470646C-BD2F-4837-AED9-8CEBE1050AA8.png
    1 MB · Views: 60
I did not look at the decision as a financial one. Anyone that owns a Tesla does not do it for a financial reason, if they think that they are they truly do not understand economics.

My primary reason was to never have to deal with my ISP ever again! I have sworn to myself for years, that if there was ever an alternative I would take it... For those that wait I believe the that lead time (at least for the near future) will become extremely long until SpaceX can greatly expand production of the receivers.

And for those that are worried about speed and cost (the cost is more of a factor in developing countries) that will come. And regarding current delivery times, my confirmation stated that delivery would be in one to two months.

And being honest I am not in a hurry to get it installed at this moment, my roof and yard have 6-8 in. of snow cover. If it does not arrive until the first of April I will not be disappointed, I will be able to install it on my roof without breaking my neck...

My primary reason was to never have to deal with my ISP ever again! I have sworn to myself for years, that if there was ever an alternative I would take it...
And being honest I am not in a hurry to get it installed at this moment, my roof and yard have 6-8 in. of snow cover. If it does not arrive until the first of April I will not be disappointed, I will be able to install it on my roof without breaking my neck...
What you are describing is trading one ISP for another. And one technology (something wired, presumably) for another (satellite) that is more sensitive to things like snow buildup and other interference. Just to reiterate, Starlink is not really a replacement for a modern wired substitute to the home, if you have that available to you. It's for those who can't get such services currently, for whom it will radically change their options. Look up the negative reviews on Xplornet, which admittedly is not the same satellite technology.

What you are describing is trading one ISP for another. And one technology (something wired, presumably) for another (satellite) that is more sensitive to things like snow buildup and other interference. Just to reiterate, Starlink is not really a replacement for a modern wired substitute to the home, if you have that available to you. It's for those who can't get such services currently, for whom it will radically change their options. Look up the negative reviews on Xplornet, which admittedly is not the same satellite technology.

No, not the same technology. Starlink satellites communicate with dishes in the Ku-band, while Xplornet is in the Ka-band. Ku-band frequencies are somewhat more forgiving for rain and snow. And the ping times for Starlink are low, which will allow for gaming and video calls, etc.

It looks like one of the biggest group of enthusiastic Starlink customers is those who are now on wired connections, rural DSL.

Reactions: Yuri_G
I did not look at the decision as a financial one. Anyone that owns a Tesla does not do it for a financial reason, if they think that they are they truly do not understand economics.
My model 3 will cost less than the Toyota Camry after about 3 years given my longish commute ( 2 years now) and assuming 2$/gallon (or higher) gas and that depreciation is consistent with what it has been for Teslas. However, the initial cost was a fair bit higher so it's not for those with limited financial means. I know that's also not true for most, just wanted to point out it can make financial sense for some today.

Starlink is almost exactly the same as my cable modem today (cost/speed/latency). If they can get the latency down below 20ms for real, that will be the tipping point here. Being rural, but lucky to have a single non-DSL provider I can't wait for Mediacom to have at least one real competitor here!