Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Starlink

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last week Elon tweeted in a reply that "Will do my best to give long-term Tesla shareholders preference.". This was in reference to purchasing Starlink stock ~pre-ipo. I have never been in such a situation as a shareholder and was wondering how could this possibly play out? Anyone have experience in this situation. Where you can get stock purchasing preference for a "Sister" company? I'm guessing it would be limited to based on how many TSLA shares you have at the set ipo price. IE if I own 1k shares of Tesla than I can but a max of 1k shares of Starlink at the determined ipo price? Just shooting this out there to see if anyone has experienced similar. This will be a no-brainer.

Personally I'm very skeptical that this will happen, given that there are Tesla shareholders in nearly all countries around the world. Even the stock split in the form of a stock 'dividend' was a major headache for many non USA investors given the different tax regimes everywhere. The right to buy Starlink prior to IPO could be viewed as some sort of dividend and could create tax issues more complex than those that were feared with the stock split.

If it happens, I'll invest of course. But it's unlikely IMO.

I don't think Elon cares about the TSLA price that much, at least right now, but I think this idea of giving shareholders preference on a Starlink IPO is evidence of him making plans to protect the TSLA stock value.

He knows TSLA share holders will be among the most interested in Starlink and he knows a lot of us don't exactly have shares of Pepsi or Home Depot which we can sell to buy in at IPO. I for one, would probably sell 10% of my Tesla shares to buy Starlink.

Some companies that have gone public have given customers preference for investing and buying IPO shares. I'm very interested in investing in Starlink and thought it'd be happened sooner than a few years from now.

Last week Elon tweeted in a reply that "Will do my best to give long-term Tesla shareholders preference.". This was in reference to purchasing Starlink stock ~pre-ipo. I have never been in such a situation as a shareholder and was wondering how could this possibly play out? Anyone have experience in this situation. Where you can get stock purchasing preference for a "Sister" company? I'm guessing it would be limited to based on how many TSLA shares you have at the set ipo price. IE if I own 1k shares of Tesla than I can but a max of 1k shares of Starlink at the determined ipo price? Just shooting this out there to see if anyone has experienced similar. This will be a no-brainer.

12 Starlink satellite dishes set up for the population
Ahrweiler/ Rhineland-Palatinate - During the night, 12 Starlink satellite dishes for the population could already be set up and installed in the damage area. The number will be increased to 35 in the course of the day. Here, affected people can dial in and thus gain access to the Internet.

Satellite dishes are already in place in the following towns:

Liers

Ahrbrück

Brück

Pützfeld

Kreuzberg

Rech North

Rech South

Dernau

Marienthal

Heimersheim

Heppingen

DeepL Translation. Original article can be found here (in German)

Great to see Starlink in action and helping the people in the flood affected areas.

Anyone have Starlink in Canada, or more specifically BC? I just got an email that my Starlink order is ready for shipment. It’s $670 CAD and then the monthly fee. I have Shaw and decent download speed already. Is there any advantages to Starlink at this point? I assume it will be quite a bit slower for now. Sorry for the OT - please private message me if you prefer. Thanks!

Its going to be a very very long time before something the size of a phone can use starlink, if anything this might one day use swarm
A hybrid approach with SpaceX integrating Swarm tech (which they acquired) into the Starlink sattelites. Swarm (or other communication protocol) for phone links, Starlink for backhaul. With continuous sat improvements and launches, it's feasible to mix in any LEO signaling system (eventually).

A hybrid approach with SpaceX integrating Swarm tech (which they acquired) into the Starlink sattelites. Swarm (or other communication protocol) for phone links, Starlink for backhaul. With continuous sat improvements and launches, it's feasible to mix in any LEO signaling system (eventually).
Another route is Micro-cells which could simply be located on rooftops of normal houses or commercial buildings.
That could give 5G coverage in built up areas, with fast install, good coverage and low capex..

The difficulty would be getting regulatory approval.. these would not need to be as powerful as a regular 5G tower, because they would install more of them

Small cells provide a small radio footprint, which can range from 10 meters within urban and in-building locations to 2 km for a rural location. Picocells and microcells can also have a range of a few hundred meters to a few kilometers, but they differ from femtocells in that they do not always have self-organising and self-management capabilities.

Any knowledge on who the two large mobile operators are referenced in this article?

I remember Elon said in a recent interview they chose to remain unnamed. He was a little annoyed they were playing it like that.

• Informative
Reactions: goinfraftw