Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Starship Orbital Prototype - Florida Version

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mmmmmm... the road is maybe 20 feet wide and has kinks. Personally I don’t see loading something over 100 feet tall and weighing many tons on a carrier vertically. Also, what about the fins? Also if I remember right there is al least one overhead school crossing over A1A that might come into play. The thing shown on the truck is a pimple compared to what SpaceX is building. It’s a little like when they moved Hattares Lighthouse.

The barge route is the other side of the highway in the river. It’s a long way and small roads not to mention some residential areas. I’m hoping they plan to move subsections and assemble and finish at Kennedy. Still, it looks like they are maybe going 3-4 rings higher on the current piece. This thing is BIG when you see it in person. But, what do I know I just drop bye when I go to Grills. Elon said they are clearing land for the move, but I don’t see it yet.

The barge route is for sea transporting through Port Canaveral (+Canaveral Lock, if Canaveral Barge Canal is used, where SS can be load on?)
starship_roadtrans_routes.jpg

Route 1: Power lines (at least 1 high voltage one) and traffic lights.
Route 2: Expressway closure needed.
Other routes have bridges in way.

• Informative
Reactions: e-FTW
The barge route is the other side of the highway in the river. It’s a long way and small roads not to mention some residential areas. I’m hoping they plan to move subsections and assemble and finish at Kennedy. Still, it looks like they are maybe going 3-4 rings higher on the current piece. This thing is BIG when you see it in person. But, what do I know I just drop bye when I go to Grills. Elon said they are clearing land for the move, but I don’t see it yet.
See this post by @HVM Starship Orbital Prototype - Florida Version

My [very small amount of] money is on shipping in pieces and/or (as noted in an earlier post) transporting horizontal. IMHO, SpaceX is too smart to go oldschool brute force. Major elements will likely be removable and re-assembleable in short order.

For dimensional reference, this is more or less the size of Starship, with the ET being a bit smaller diameter but longer...potentially quite a bit longer. Love the China freighter in the background of this photo. :cool:
Image-1-1.jpg

My [very small amount of] money is on shipping in pieces and/or (as noted in an earlier post) transporting horizontal. IMHO, SpaceX is too smart to go oldschool brute force. Major elements will likely be removable and re-assembleable in short order.

For dimensional reference, this is more or less the size of Starship, with the ET being a bit smaller diameter but longer...potentially quite a bit longer. Love the China freighter in the background of this photo. :cool:
Image-1-1.jpg
Yes, Queen of the Skies!

I agree they will probably go with moving parts since they won’t need to do that all the time: at some point there will be a fleet of active Starships and Super Heavies and production will ramp down.

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/investigators/how-spacex-plans...

"SpaceX representatives declined to answer News 6's questions about how the private company will transport the spacecraft more than 20 miles between the two facilities or when the relocation will occur.

However, records obtained exclusively by News 6 reveal that in September the 180-foot-tall spacecraft could be towed along the State Road 528 Beachline Expressway before being placed on a barge in the Indian River for shipment to Launch Complex 39."

It's interesting that the FLA rocket looks like a piece of space hardware.... very well polished and attractive. The Texas one looks like it got hacked together in a field by some guys who learned how to weld on farm implements.... functional but no consideration whatsoever given to cosmetics.

I'm really curious about the relative functional quality and cost.

Reactions: palmer_md
It's interesting that the FLA rocket looks like a piece of space hardware.... very well polished and attractive. The Texas one looks like it got hacked together in a field by some guys who learned how to weld on farm implements.... functional but no consideration whatsoever given to cosmetics.

I'm really curious about the relative functional quality and cost.
The Texas one was built at least in part by a water-tower company.
This fancy one in FL? By a space technology company.

Unless it is an above-ground pool company... /jk