Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Starship Orbital Prototype - Texas Version

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not a rocket scientist, or a grain silo owner, however I am an observer of technology. I can't rationalize how its not possible to create a stainless steel surface without dents?
2019-11-01_18-23-34.png

I'm not a rocket scientist, or a grain silo owner, however I am an observer of technology. I can't rationalize how its not possible to create a stainless steel surface without dents?View attachment 472926
Rocket -> thinnest lightest sheet of stainless you can get away with with internal ribs.
Silo -> thick steel

Hopper likely dented more due to the cryo fuel shrinking the structure.

Any news on whether this is a "weld it back together" type of problem, or is this a "rebuild the facility and rocket from scratch" type of problem? Or is that 'rebuild the water tower' from scratch :)
Pure guess: reweld perhaps removing another layer of two rings first. Needs a new done assembly. Vapor out the bottom could indicate the center flow tube (or under done) failed also.

Or Mk2 takes the lead and Mk3 gets started?

Yes, not so silky smooth anymore. Bit disappointing, it did not hold it pressure at gyro-temperatures.
Ummm gyros ;)

Will be interesting to find out what happened. The dome flew fairly straight up so it seems like the whole seam let go simultaneously. Or that could be an effect of the structure. (Not an ME)