Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Starship Orbital Prototype - Texas Version

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

e-FTW

New electron smell
Aug 23, 2015
San Francisco, CA
Figured this vehicle might benefit from its own thread. Thoughts?

More here: SpaceX BFS : Phase 2 - Starship Orbital Prototype(s) - Photos and Updates

Chris B - NSF on Twitter
D2WgabMX4AU2taG

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Funny
Reactions: tomot
It’s difficult for me to grasp the idea that what SpaceX is building, out in the open, looking like that, is going to reach orbit. It certainly is an unorthodox approach to building an orbital-class rocket.
You think? Lol

But, this also reminds me of these guys: https://techcrunch.com/2019/02/13/hypersciences-hypersonic-test-crowdfunding/
Unconventional approach, using things not specifically designed for space, turning conventions on their heads (literally)...

• Informative
Reactions: Grendal
Some pics of progress on the orbital water tower: Chris B - NSF on Twitter
D3q8I0IX4AEhRec
Obviously I am not a rocket engineer so I don’t understand the construction process SpaceX is using to build this first orbital prototype.

Are they welding together sections of the exterior skin with the internal supporting structure in place but we just can’t see it?

I don’t see how they could weld the skin sections together without something inside to ensure that the dimensions were precisely right.

It is freakin’ amazing to watch the first Starship being built outdoors in plain sight. It contradicts everything I have ever seen about rocket construction. Is it possible because modern stainless steel is so incredibly durable and resistant to corrosion?

Reactions: e-FTW
Obviously I am not a rocket engineer so I don’t understand the construction process SpaceX is using to build this first orbital prototype.

Are they welding together sections of the exterior skin with the internal supporting structure in place but we just can’t see it?

I don’t see how they could weld the skin sections together without something inside to ensure that the dimensions were precisely right.

It is freakin’ amazing to watch the first Starship being built outdoors in plain sight. It contradicts everything I have ever seen about rocket construction. Is it possible because modern stainless steel is so incredibly durable and resistant to corrosion?

There is no bloody way that this is intended to be an orbital ship. It must be a high altitude hopper. I've seen museum V2s that are fabricated with better fit and finish.

I believe Elon recently tweeted that the Starship currently under construction at Boca Chica — the one we can all see — was the first “orbital prototype”. Whatever that means.

If that thing goes to orbit, then the whole Star Trek first contact - Cochrane warp ship built in a barn scenario seems a lot more plausible. :)

Or maybe the intent is that it goes to orbit and comes back down in pieces?

Reactions: UnicornDriver
Confirmed by Elon that there is a second Starship prototype being built in Florida.
Elon Musk on Twitter
Elon: SpaceX is doing simultaneous competing builds of Starship in Boca Chica Texas & Cape Canaveral Florida
I find that to be a very surprising development. Would love to hear Elon explain the reasons for doing that! Seems like an expensive approach.

Reactions: Grendal