Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Start a New Conversation: HPWC Charging Rates Chart - Dual Chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have a copy of the older HPWC chart (similar to the link below), which shows the max charging rate for a Model S with dual chargers? I seem to recall that the Model S (with dual chargers) could charge up to 59 mph with a 100 amp circuit (80 amp output). Had a discussion with an electrician today and wanted to send him something.

https://teslaownersonline.com/attachments/20171220_050057-png.7266/

Thanks in advance!

It's going to depend on the efficiency of the model S. The lowest charge rate at 80 amps is 59 mph on a P85D which is what I get on my P85D with dual chargers.

As the efficiency goes up on later models, that charge rate at 80 amps increases. Facelift and on no longer has dual motor option so if you want to compare apples to apples you'd need to look at 72 amp on all cars compared to each other.

Oh, and voltage is going to matter. The only way I see 59 MPH on my P85D is with 240 volts. If it drops to 230, you'll see less.

Last edited:
I so wish Tesla would be reasonable about this. They want $2500 to do a dual charger upgrade, but as far as I can tell are not actually doing it, just quoting it. I don't see why they are making it so hard and expensive when fast charging is becoming a selling point with competitors.

Anyway, I get 30mph, the dual charger guys using the same charger I use are getting 58-59.

I so wish Tesla would be reasonable about this. They want $2500 to do a dual charger upgrade, but as far as I can tell are not actually doing it, just quoting it. I don't see why they are making it so hard and expensive when fast charging is becoming a selling point with competitors.
:rolleyes: You don't see why they are making it so hard and expensive?

1. It is using an old outdated part that they don't build or use anymore. Obsoleted legacy parts should always be more expensive to get than the common, high volume parts that a company is currently using.
2. However, even though it should be more expensive, they are not making it so! Plain old inflation should make it a few percent higher each year, but they are still quoting the same price for that aftermarket upgrade at $2,500 that they offered it for 6 years ago. That price should be $2,985 with just six years of normal 3% inflation. They are offering you a great deal, saving hundreds of dollars!!