Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Start Button on App

DopeGhoti

Aug 28, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
Really? I've only used it once and I swear there was something like a ten minute time limit to start driving.
Yes, but one you start driving, you're allowed to continue until you stop (i. e. Park). If you don't start in time, the car re-locks itself (i. e. it will once again need a key or permission from the app to start driving).

5_+JqckQttqck

Apr 27, 2018
Toronto
You or your significant other lost their phone and have no keycard. The stranded party can borrow a phone from a good Samaritan to get the car remotely unlocked and started (2 minute limit to start driving).

Good Samaritan is amazed at the feature and orders one for themselves :rolleyes:

Knightshade

Jul 31, 2017
NC
2 minutes. I believe the front screen starts to count down the time you have before you press on the brake

Pretty sure this is the same thing as if you unlock the car with the keycard- you have a couple minute window to hit the brake and start driving, otherwise you need to use the keycard again on the center console.

woodguyatl

Oct 3, 2018
GA
You or your significant other lost their phone and have no keycard. The stranded party can borrow a phone from a good Samaritan to get the car remotely unlocked and started (2 minute limit to start driving).

Good Samaritan is amazed at the feature and orders one for themselves :rolleyes:

Or significant other pulls into driveway. I need to run to grocery store. After shopping I realize that the car let me drive it because my wife was still standing there but that I did not remember my phone.

DopeGhoti

Aug 28, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
OMG NO!!!!

Are you aware of how easy it would be to hack a website and have control over your car?
You'll notice I didn't say all app functionality. I don't see how being able to go to the web site to manage or see the status of the climate control or charging, for instance, would be a dire threat.

Reactions: Phlier

Aellinsar

Aug 2, 2017
Ohio

I once used a friend's phone to call my wife and have her start the car for me. I didn't think to install the app on my friend's phone!

Phlier

Bluebird
Jun 12, 2019
Utah
Your Tesla account's password is simple enough to type out on a phone without a password manager? :)
Everyone that isn’t using a good password manager to manage and create their passwords needs to stop what they’re doing right now and get one.

Take it from someone who has gone through a full-on identity theft experience. Go get a password manager right now.

And if an internet service you use offers two factor authentication, use that, too.

Having long, randomly generated passwords for everything is fantastic. No more weak passwords, no more using the same password at multiple sites.

Sorry to go off topic, but this really is an important subject. Get a password manager right this very second, and take 30 minutes to set it up correctly.

Reactions: destructure00

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC