Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Start Car" Option in Tesla App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I'm trying to figure out what the point of the "start car" option is in the Tesla App. I accidentally hit it once, and it asked to use FaceID to verify me, then started a 2 min timer to keep the car on. With a Model S/X I know you can use your phone to turn on the car/drive it if you forgot your fob. With the Model 3, the phone is the fob, so why is this option even here? Doesn't walking up to the car and trying to drive it with the phone in your pocket turn the car on automatically? Could I (in theory) allow someone else to drive my car by turning it on remotely through the app and without them having a key card or a paired phone? Would the car just turn off after 2 minutes??

I was wondering exactly same question day or two ago, and I was assuming yes you can remotely allow someone to drive it. Can someone confirm? This would be easy to test, just turn it on, leave phone inside your home and go driving (not too far if it stops...). Maybe bring keycard just in case, but don't take it close enough that the car can detect it.

So I'm trying to figure out what the point of the "start car" option is in the Tesla App. I accidentally hit it once, and it asked to use FaceID to verify me, then started a 2 min timer to keep the car on. With a Model S/X I know you can use your phone to turn on the car/drive it if you forgot your fob. With the Model 3, the phone is the fob, so why is this option even here? Doesn't walking up to the car and trying to drive it with the phone in your pocket turn the car on automatically? Could I (in theory) allow someone else to drive my car by turning it on remotely through the app and without them having a key card or a paired phone? Would the car just turn off after 2 minutes??

youre right on point with your last sentence. they will have a 2 minute window to get in and press on the brake pedal to turn the car on fully.

also i can see it as a backup option to start the car for whatever reason if the car cannot detect the phone key via bluetooth.

• Funny
  • Informative
Reactions: Epping2023 and Char
It allows the car to be remotely accessed and use once if it’s engaged within 2 minutes. It doesn’t require a phone key or access card.

Example: You are somewhere else and you need to allow someone to use your vehicle one time. Once they park it. They can no longer drive it unless you hit the start car again. I’m sure there are a couple of situations where this would come in handy.

• Informative
Reactions: Epping2023
But doesn't the Valet button require that you still hand over the keycard? Using remote start and locking/unlocking, not to mention being able to see exactly where the car is and how fast it's going via the app, seems to be a good use of this feature. Or do what other people have said they do when valeting; say you don't have the keycard and that you'll park it yourself. Not sure if that will work in all cases but it might be worth a try.

Reactions: Epping2023
But doesn't the Valet button require that you still hand over the keycard? Using remote start and locking/unlocking, not to mention being able to see exactly where the car is and how fast it's going via the app, seems to be a good use of this feature. Or do what other people have said they do when valeting; say you don't have the keycard and that you'll park it yourself. Not sure if that will work in all cases but it might be worth a try.

You can see where the car is going anyways in Valet mode but unlike remote start, they can’t get your weed stashed in the glove box, can’t enable slip start and do donuts in the parking lot.

Besides, a lot of areas where I live have underground valet lots and if you can’t get a signal to your vehicle, you’ll have to walk down there yourself and get your car yourself making it pointless to use valet services.

I didn’t even realize this was a function in the app until recently.

So, if someone manages to get your Tesla account password, would this allow them to steal your car by logging into your account on the Tesla app on any smartphone and then starting the car via the app?

Last edited:
I didn’t even realize this was a function in the app until recently.

So, if someone manages to get your Tesla account password, would this allow them to steal your car by logging into your account on the Tesla app on any smartphone and then starting the car via the app?

Yes.... but you should be protecting your tesla account password the same way you would protect your banking / financial institution passwords.