TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

"Start Car" Option in Tesla App

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Dante, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Dante

Dante Member

So I'm trying to figure out what the point of the "start car" option is in the Tesla App. I accidentally hit it once, and it asked to use FaceID to verify me, then started a 2 min timer to keep the car on. With a Model S/X I know you can use your phone to turn on the car/drive it if you forgot your fob. With the Model 3, the phone is the fob, so why is this option even here? Doesn't walking up to the car and trying to drive it with the phone in your pocket turn the car on automatically? Could I (in theory) allow someone else to drive my car by turning it on remotely through the app and without them having a key card or a paired phone? Would the car just turn off after 2 minutes??

2. tpatana

tpatana Member

I was wondering exactly same question day or two ago, and I was assuming yes you can remotely allow someone to drive it. Can someone confirm? This would be easy to test, just turn it on, leave phone inside your home and go driving (not too far if it stops...). Maybe bring keycard just in case, but don't take it close enough that the car can detect it.

3. kev1n

kev1n Member

youre right on point with your last sentence. they will have a 2 minute window to get in and press on the brake pedal to turn the car on fully.

also i can see it as a backup option to start the car for whatever reason if the car cannot detect the phone key via bluetooth.

4. xpitxbullx

xpitxbullx Member

It allows the car to be remotely accessed and use once if it’s engaged within 2 minutes. It doesn’t require a phone key or access card.

Example: You are somewhere else and you need to allow someone to use your vehicle one time. Once they park it. They can no longer drive it unless you hit the start car again. I’m sure there are a couple of situations where this would come in handy.

5. RayK

RayK Member

Sounds like a perfect valet situation. Unless of course they have to move your car before you get back to retrieve it.

6. xpitxbullx

xpitxbullx Member

No. That’s why they have a Valet button. It limits speed, power and access. The start button doesn’t have those restrictions.

7. RayK

RayK Member

But doesn't the Valet button require that you still hand over the keycard? Using remote start and locking/unlocking, not to mention being able to see exactly where the car is and how fast it's going via the app, seems to be a good use of this feature. Or do what other people have said they do when valeting; say you don't have the keycard and that you'll park it yourself. Not sure if that will work in all cases but it might be worth a try.

8. Need

Need Active Member

You call your brother, "Hey I am at the airport. I left my car in front of you house on the street."
    Your brother, "Today is street sweeping day!"
    "No problem, I just unlock it and you have 2 min to start it."
    "Cool I will move it to the driveway."

• Like x 1
  9. Haxster

Haxster Member

"...That is, after an extended joy ride!"

• Funny x 6
  10. McFlurri

McFlurri Member

I actually used this option when I got my Model 3 tinted.

Instead of them having to deal with the key card.. they just called me, and I started the car for them.

11. xpitxbullx

xpitxbullx Member

You can see where the car is going anyways in Valet mode but unlike remote start, they can’t get your weed stashed in the glove box, can’t enable slip start and do donuts in the parking lot.

Besides, a lot of areas where I live have underground valet lots and if you can’t get a signal to your vehicle, you’ll have to walk down there yourself and get your car yourself making it pointless to use valet services.