Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

start code to prevent stealing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Between the fob and the door handles I imagine the only way to steal this thing is some seriously complex hacking or a flat bed with wheel dollies. Neither seems exceptionally likely to me. The code would probably just annoy me.

That said, if the valet / teen mode is ever deployed, a code to enable normal driving would be great!

That said, if the valet / teen mode is ever deployed, a code to enable normal driving would be great!

But a valet/teen fob would be a better solution, where the fob was matched to the vehicle settings. When Tesla enables the fob-sets-the-parameters then this should be easy to do without a special fob (although it would be nice to have different colours of fob so that you could tell which was which and who's was who's).

Hackers love a challenge so someday the FOB handshake may not be enough. Why not add a start code as an option?

I think it's a good idea. With most modern cars, the much preferred method is to steal the key, rather than attempt to tow or hot wire it, that's practically impossible these days. A PIN, or picture password (a la Windows 8) should be easy enough to implement, and maybe add some options, such as only enable after xx minutes to prevent annoyance when hopping in and out the car.

I wonder if the app will provide some useful functions that will address the concerns here.

With the Tesla Tattler in my Roadster, I have the ability to lock the car, start/stop charges, track its location, change modes, etc. I can't stop/start the car because the Roadster isn't keyless. But I can set Valet mode with my pin and track. Both useful.

I'm not convinced. Anyone who is going to crack the fob coding is going to have to spend a fair bit of time near the car when it's communicating with the fob. Therefore, he or she will have plenty of time to espy any code entered on the touchscreen. Voice recognition would work, but not when you want to let a friend borrow the car.

I would be OK if they added it as an optional feature but I would NEVER use it. I'd find that very annoying. Every other car on the road can be stolen if you lose the key and I've never lost a minute of sleep over this risk.

As an internet connected vehicle the Tesla seems like it already has several inherent anti-theft benefits. The "find my Tesla" function of the iPhone app seems like a junior grade LoJack.

All you need is the smartphone app to notify you when your car starts up and give you the option to shut it down.

For example, on iPhone, when the car starts up, the car could send a notification to the smartphone. The notification doesn't need to be addressed, but you could tap the notification and select "shut down car" to stop it. Wouldn't be completely failsafe, but would be fairly non-invasive and--we're already talking about a pretty remote chance here.

Finally, this is why I have car insurance :).

I'm operating on the belief that in short order the app will give us all the ability to track and shut down our cars. I suspect TM can do this now. Would be nice to verify, but if true - the car becomes theft proof as long as it has a wireless connection. Also, I suspect it will have almost no black market value if it drops off the TM grid - no updates, no repairs, no warranty, etc.

Well, nothing is absolutely positively theft-proof.
I suppose an n-digit start code could be yet another Setup Option.

As long as we're at it I'll petition Tesla for a "duress code," an n-digit code extracted from you (under duress) that starts the car and allows it to go for about two minutes before bricking itself, giving you enough time and distance from the thief/hijacker.

-- Ardie
More security is always better, especially if it doesn't get in your way.

I wonder if the app will provide some useful functions that will address the concerns here.

With the Tesla Tattler in my Roadster, I have the ability to lock the car, start/stop charges, track its location, change modes, etc. I can't stop/start the car because the Roadster isn't keyless. But I can set Valet mode with my pin and track. Both useful.

The iPhone app will address most of those issues. Pretty cool actually but similar to other EV/PHEV apps out there.