TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

start code to prevent stealing

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by wassenberg, Dec 28, 2012.

1. wassenberg

wassenberg Member

Does anybody like the idee for a 4 digit start code to enter before you can drive away ? I can imagine when a burgler takes your key he still needs a code for taking the car

2. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Not me. I'd rather just get in and drive.

3. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

That's what the key FOB is for. It does a digital handshake with the car. Without that it's pretty much impossible to start!

4. Brian H

Brian H Banned

Doesn't respond to the "stolen key" scenario. Voice recognition, p'rhaps? or other passive biometric "key".

5. Mike_Schlechter

Mike_Schlechter Model S - P457

Between the fob and the door handles I imagine the only way to steal this thing is some seriously complex hacking or a flat bed with wheel dollies. Neither seems exceptionally likely to me. The code would probably just annoy me.

That said, if the valet / teen mode is ever deployed, a code to enable normal driving would be great!

6. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

But a valet/teen fob would be a better solution, where the fob was matched to the vehicle settings. When Tesla enables the fob-sets-the-parameters then this should be easy to do without a special fob (although it would be nice to have different colours of fob so that you could tell which was which and who's was who's).

7. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

Hackers love a challenge so someday the FOB handshake may not be enough. Why not add a start code as an option?

8. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

I think it's a good idea. With most modern cars, the much preferred method is to steal the key, rather than attempt to tow or hot wire it, that's practically impossible these days. A PIN, or picture password (a la Windows 8) should be easy enough to implement, and maybe add some options, such as only enable after xx minutes to prevent annoyance when hopping in and out the car.

9. drbradfo

drbradfo Member

Stealing an RFID is pretty easy. I'm assuming the FOB uses a standard RFID protocol. Having an optional password would be straightforward to add. But if someone want to steal your car, they are likely to succeed.

10. agileone

agileone CDN P#40

True, like this BMW hack proved : Keyless BMW cars prove to be very easy to steal

11. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

I wonder if the app will provide some useful functions that will address the concerns here.

With the Tesla Tattler in my Roadster, I have the ability to lock the car, start/stop charges, track its location, change modes, etc. I can't stop/start the car because the Roadster isn't keyless. But I can set Valet mode with my pin and track. Both useful.

12. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

I'm not convinced. Anyone who is going to crack the fob coding is going to have to spend a fair bit of time near the car when it's communicating with the fob. Therefore, he or she will have plenty of time to espy any code entered on the touchscreen. Voice recognition would work, but not when you want to let a friend borrow the car.

13. SuperCoug

SuperCoug Model S Res #7734

I would be OK if they added it as an optional feature but I would NEVER use it. I'd find that very annoying. Every other car on the road can be stolen if you lose the key and I've never lost a minute of sleep over this risk.

As an internet connected vehicle the Tesla seems like it already has several inherent anti-theft benefits. The "find my Tesla" function of the iPhone app seems like a junior grade LoJack.

14. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

15. strider

strider Active Member

Aren't the Canadian cars set up this way? I seem to recall the CA Roadsters require you to enter your PIN on start-up.

16. PeterW

PeterW Member

17. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

All you need is the smartphone app to notify you when your car starts up and give you the option to shut it down.

For example, on iPhone, when the car starts up, the car could send a notification to the smartphone. The notification doesn't need to be addressed, but you could tap the notification and select "shut down car" to stop it. Wouldn't be completely failsafe, but would be fairly non-invasive and--we're already talking about a pretty remote chance here.

Finally, this is why I have car insurance :).

18. Alfafoxtrot1

Alfafoxtrot1 Member

I'm operating on the belief that in short order the app will give us all the ability to track and shut down our cars. I suspect TM can do this now. Would be nice to verify, but if true - the car becomes theft proof as long as it has a wireless connection. Also, I suspect it will have almost no black market value if it drops off the TM grid - no updates, no repairs, no warranty, etc.

19. Ardie

Ardie Member

Well, nothing is absolutely positively theft-proof.
    I suppose an n-digit start code could be yet another Setup Option.

As long as we're at it I'll petition Tesla for a "duress code," an n-digit code extracted from you (under duress) that starts the car and allows it to go for about two minutes before bricking itself, giving you enough time and distance from the thief/hijacker.

-- Ardie
    More security is always better, especially if it doesn't get in your way.

20. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

The iPhone app will address most of those issues. Pretty cool actually but similar to other EV/PHEV apps out there.