Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

start code to prevent stealing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, nothing is absolutely positively theft-proof.
I suppose an n-digit start code could be yet another Setup Option.

As long as we're at it I'll petition Tesla for a "duress code," an n-digit code extracted from you (under duress) that starts the car and allows it to go for about two minutes before bricking itself, giving you enough time and distance from the thief/hijacker.

-- Ardie
More security is always better, especially if it doesn't get in your way.
Don't think we want it b-ricking itself (hyphen added to decrease google searches for that curse word) ... but disabling itself somehow.

I wouldn't mind the choice of a PIN code. It would also be nice if the PIN need not be entered if the presence of a previously paired bluetooth device. Thus the combination of the FOB plus a phone would allow the car to start without a PIN. If the phone wasn't there, a previously arranged PIN would need to be entered.

I'm operating on the belief that in short order the app will give us all the ability to track and shut down our cars. I suspect TM can do this now. Would be nice to verify, but if true - the car becomes theft proof as long as it has a wireless connection. Also, I suspect it will have almost no black market value if it drops off the TM grid - no updates, no repairs, no warranty, etc.
Track and monitor, yes. Shut down, no. Massive safety issue there. I do not want someone who cracks Tesla's app able to shut down my car while driving. A cracker being able to lock/unlock or stop/start charging is merely a nuisance and I can switch remote access off once I learn of the crack.

Aren't the Canadian cars set up this way? I seem to recall the CA Roadsters require you to enter your PIN on start-up.

Uh, no. The Canadian Roadster FOBs have a button you have to press to enable the car. I believe the American cars had an option to lock them using a PIN code.

Canada requires an electronic interlock, and it has to meet the latest security standard. Tesla actually had to upgrade their FOB system in order to get the car certified here.

Optional keycode is fine. Remote lock via the app (i.e., very far away remote, not just the fob distance) and even power/speed limiting remotely via the app would be fine. Nothing too drastic (and the fob should override the app--phones can be stolen and I believe are misplaced more often than keys).

Why not simply use a fingerprint reader ?

Fingerprints are not sharable like a PIN. If I want to let my friend have the car for the day, telling him the PIN is bit easier than letting him borrow my finger.

Also, a fingerprint solution involves new hardware so the feature cannot be included in just a software update.

Aside: Did you see the Mythbuster's episode on fingerprint readers? Neither reliable nor secure.

You are prepared to let the car out of your sight and control!!!??? Wow, brave guy! I meant this fingerprint thing as an exclusivity measure! Mind you, such a system could allow a fixed number of fingerprints to be stored, including " temporary access"

My understanding is that if the fingerprint system requires you to touch something to read the fingerprint, it's pretty easy to get your fingerprint and copy it. It's harder in proximity systems. I don't know how accurate the proximity systems are though.

yay! security-by-rollerblading-CSI-fairy-sprinkledust!

It is important to distinguish the asset. I would hope the primary asset is the driver & passengers Tesla just makes common sense decisions (e.g I can sit inside my car in Parking with the car on and all doors locked) but leaves advanced mod packages to security companies (e.g. want bullet proof glasses, abduction package, intruder lock-in... pay someone $$$ but don't ruin the default experience)

I would prefer a system that

- does not interfere with my "get in car and drive" experience, optionally requiring no more than one hand gesture, including a silent duress gesture. Windows picture passwords and Android patterns are nice. N digit pins could be tolerable if optional.

- cannot be easily spoofed e.g. I can clone an RFID tag by knowing it's there and standing within 3 feet, I am sure the fob is much more than that.

- can be used to customize seat, driving behavior, etc (e.g. Is "creep" a car configuration or a personal setting?, "teen driver" etc.)

- can correctly distinguish between at least two 'primary drivers' that sit in the car simultaneously in driver and passenger seats (two fobs! two bluetooth-paired phones!)

- allows me to track car via app, send remote alert via app. Whatever the car does to authenticate drivers should be ported to the app.

- Is shareable i.e. I should be able to allow someone to drive the car away without giving up all my "i-have, I-know" stuff. E.g. a valet code, guest PIN etc.

- Allows remote unlock etc etc by Tesla service but knowing there's good authentication on the phone. Remember the time the Wired guy got digitally zorked? Otherwise people with internets and a sense of logic could be driving off in Tesla Model S cars especially early owners who gladly post VINs, delivery adresses, reservation numbers, photos with exif lat-long, tesla rep names and other info in this forum.

I trust the Tesla engineers to do the basics. I care more about personalization than strong authentication, and a system that lets people drive away with my car until I'm sure me and my family are safe.
Just the thought of passwords with special characters and numbers on my car makes me groan..

I own both a Roadster and Model S. The Roadster has an optional 4-digit security code feature, although I rarely use it. Wonder why this feature was not put into the Model S?

On a related note, does anyone know if there is some kind of adapter to allow the Model S key fob to be attached to a key ring? Key fobs for other car makes have this feature and I'm wondering if this was an oversight by Tesla or if there's some valid reason why this was done. It's awkward having to carry both the key fob and key ring separately.

I own both a Roadster and Model S. The Roadster has an optional 4-digit security code feature, although I rarely use it. Wonder why this feature was not put into the Model S?

The Canadian Roadsters don't have the feature, because the government has mandated quite sophisticated "immobilizer" technology in the key fob. This has had a significant impact on auto theft here.

On a related note, does anyone know if there is some kind of adapter to allow the Model S key fob to be attached to a key ring? Key fobs for other car makes have this feature and I'm wondering if this was an oversight by Tesla or if there's some valid reason why this was done. It's awkward having to carry both the key fob and key ring separately.

Check this thread. And welcome to the forums.
Key Fob solutions