TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

'Start Designing' ... but should I ?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by stargazer, Apr 7, 2018.

1. stargazer

stargazer Member

I didn't get an email... I just login periodically, and suddenly last night... there it was.

'Start Designing' it says.

For reference, I am in the April-June group, I was sitting there ONLINE the night of the initial reveal... with my finger on the 'reserve' button, ready to push at first opportunity I got. I'm not a prior Tesla owner.

I made a decision late last year to indicate my interest in the premium package, just on basis of hopefully ensuring the $7500 credit alone (figuring that pays for a good chunk of that premium upgrade anyway).

But I have to admit, the headlines are beginning to wear on me. It would seem half of Wall Street is betting on Tesla failing... the other half continue to think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Is there any chance this ends up a high production number DeLorean??

Ready to pull the trigger,

Jeff

BTW, coincidentally or not, I did get an email a few days ago asking if I'd like to get a Tesla 'experience' with a Model S or X, whereby they'll show up at my home/work for a test drive. I'm guessing this may not have been a coincidence, looking for the upsell opportunity.

• Like x 1
  2. Chewy3

Chewy3 If MacGvyer had a beard

Nope. The company may be in the red for a while, but that is mainly due to massive expenditures in infrastructure. If sales started to stagnate (instead of exponentially grow as they are now) you might want to worry - but currently, the company is more successful than any new automotive company could hope for.

3. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

Haha “A high production DeLorean“

I have been fearful of that too. Hence I prefer to wait for the $35k version. Smaller hit if they do fail. Rather lose $30s than $50s. If they don’t I can always get a better model later with white interior etc, the way I really want it.

4. Sprandt23

Sprandt23 Member

Ha! At least the M3 isn't covered in stainless steel! :D

5. shelbri

shelbri Member

There are still Deloreans on the road today. Life is way to short to worry about a slim possibility of Tesla going bankrupt. The Model 3 is an awesome car that will make you smile every time you drive it. Buy it and enjoy!

6. stargazer

stargazer Member

Although in it's defense, it has a Peugeot engine, which could be maintained with 'off the shelf' parts. I'm a little bit worried about an electric motor failures. Maybe in SoCal, there'll be an aftermarket shop supporting those... but I live on gas combustion engine worshipping, 'rifle in the back window' pickup truck wielding, plains of Nebraska. :)

7. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

8. Skipdd

Skipdd Supporting Member

I worried about that originally,...now I'm on my second S, a 100D. It is one of the reasons I opted to lease. I thoroughly enjoy the experience and have for the past ~3 years. I asked myself at the beginning - "would I regret the opportunity to have not participated in a disruptive innovation (despite what Clyaton Christianson says), down the road.. and my answer was YES. I have a smile on my face every day I commute 3 hrs in nasty traffic...

9. stargazer

stargazer Member

With all due respect, given you're driving a 100D, it's safe to assume you're in a slightly different economic demographic than myself. A $50k 'brick', would be a bit of a set back for me. That said, I've taken a lot of risks in my life... I imagine I'll take this one.

• Like x 1
  10. Skipdd

Skipdd Supporting Member

No disrespect intended. Everything is relative:). My point was it was worth the risk, which I mitigated (at least for me). No regrets.

• Like x 1
  11. Visscher

Visscher Member

I had the same thoughts as I bought my x100d

Then I drove it

Now I realize that the product is so good, even my 94 year old grandpa who took it for a test drive last night is excited about Tesla. Oh, and all the neighbourhood 6-7 year old boys knew what it was and were loving it. I don’t know why there are loud mouthed haters out there, but I do know that everyone I see and drive with are excited lovers. Lowest buyers remorse levels ever. Many many repeat customers. High brand awareness and excitement with zero advertising. The basis for a good business from the demand side. On the supply side they are essentially following amazons cash flow model and if you are willing to bet against bezos and musk you go right ahead!

• Like x 4
  12. EinSV

EinSV Active Member

• Like x 1
  13. novox77

novox77 1.21 Gigawatts

@stargazer take comfort that lots of us are taking that same risk right with you. Not only will you have an awesome car, you're going to be on right side of history when all cars are off dino juice, and we look back at when the transition really took hold. It's going to be this car.

• Like x 1
  14. DanL3

DanL3 Member

Tesla has way more holdings and way more intellectual property than Delorean did. The result of that is that if Telsa has bankruptcy problems in the future, some other large company will buy them up and restructure them. We may not get the level of service we get today, but you will not be stuck with a $35,000 brick.

15. Teslie

Teslie Member

#15 Teslie, Apr 7, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
    224A3412-BFDD-4F90-B834-C91F088E91A2.png
    Amazon was cash flow neutral after only few years. Tesla is how many years old ?

These endless comparisons with Amazon are without merit.

Thanks to @Teslacharts for the chart.

16. Visscher

Visscher Member

Essentially - model.

It isn't an endless comparison, even when I structured my second business to essentially copy my first one the charts didn't look the same.However, I used the same principles and in the case of these two, they are closely aligned. If my one post is endless, or you expect the annual timeline to be exact before it is with merit, I'm sorry for you.;)

• Like x 1