Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Starting a phone call takes too long

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model S refresh end 2016 model
Phone: OnePlus 6T
Problem:
when i try to initiate a phone call through my car with my phone being connected but sitting in my pocket.
It takes like 5 to 20 seconds before it actually starts the call, i have not found this issue here or anywhere online.
I have re-paired the phone a couple of times in the past but that did not seem to do anything (going to try this a couple more times when my wife gets home) :p
all tips are appreciated !
I would be suprised if this has something to do with "older hardware" because this should not require a lot of computing power ;D

Thanks in advance

Well the first thing to do anytime the car does something weird is to reboot the car. Failing this, it could be a location specific issue and thus the problem is with the cell carrier. From your car turn Bluetooth off and just dial a number and see what happens. Since it sounds like the problem is intermittent, this could be the problem.

Well the first thing to do anytime the car does something weird is to reboot the car. Failing this, it could be a location specific issue and thus the problem is with the cell carrier. From your car turn Bluetooth off and just dial a number and see what happens. Since it sounds like the problem is intermittent, this could be the problem.
have not considered it being a location/cell carrier problem ! :eek: i'm going to keep this in mind when it happens, thanks !

update: i recreated this problem on the road
my cell phone 4G reception was excellent
my car's 4g reception was low/bad
it took 10 to 15seconds to start the call using my car's tablet while i had no issue or delay doing it on my phone itself (no delay there).
It seems like my car somehow needs better 4G reception to fix this issue, or a software change to not require phone calls to have good car 4G reception ...

My Model 3 is also quite slow to make a call. It wasn't always that way. I do use voice commands for calling, but it *seems* like the command is already processed and comes back from Tesla's servers before a *long* lull in action.

Not trying to hijack your thread, just validating that this problem is not just with your car.

Many things in Tesla's software worked better when I got the car almost 2.5 years ago, it was on v10. Since v11 there have been many regressions. I suspect they're rewriting the entirety of the software and breaking things as they go.

Reactions: Unlimitedpower
This is not (or should not be) relevant to this issue as the car does not use its 4G connection for phone calls. You should be able to find a location where you can get good 4G in the car to validate this.
i know but i cannot find any thing else that could cause this problem for now
My Model 3 is also quite slow to make a call. It wasn't always that way. I do use voice commands for calling, but it *seems* like the command is already processed and comes back from Tesla's servers before a *long* lull in action.

Not trying to hijack your thread, just validating that this problem is not just with your car.

Many things in Tesla's software worked better when I got the car almost 2.5 years ago, it was on v10. Since v11 there have been many regressions. I suspect they're rewriting the entirety of the software and breaking things as they go.
thats cool, no worries, i need all the info i can get ;)

When you see your phone with a better or worse cellular signal than the car, keep in mind that it's likely Tesla is using a different network than your car. In the USA, Tesla uses AT&T. So if your phone was on Verizon, you'll have two different signals where one is likely better than the other - perhaps a lot better depending on your location.

I've not noticed any degradation in the car's phone system or data connection over the years and 3 different Teslas, other than LTE being a nice improvement over 3G. Like phones, I'm sure Tesla has been upgrading the phone modem to support more bands. For a phone (or any brand car) that is 5+ years old, it is likely they do not support every band that a cellular operator offers today. Operators are always adding new bands and new cellular towers, which can improve reception. That can be another reason a current phone seems to work better than an older car - the hardware itself has improved. Nothing software can do to fix that.

When you see your phone with a better or worse cellular signal than the car, keep in mind that it's likely Tesla is using a different network than your car. In the USA, Tesla uses AT&T. So if your phone was on Verizon, you'll have two different signals where one is likely better than the other - perhaps a lot better depending on your location.

I've not noticed any degradation in the car's phone system or data connection over the years and 3 different Teslas, other than LTE being a nice improvement over 3G. Like phones, I'm sure Tesla has been upgrading the phone modem to support more bands. For a phone (or any brand car) that is 5+ years old, it is likely they do not support every band that a cellular operator offers today. Operators are always adding new bands and new cellular towers, which can improve reception. That can be another reason a current phone seems to work better than an older car - the hardware itself has improved. Nothing software can do to fix that.
So its correct that a call uses the car's LTE and not the smartphone's 4G? This would explain the issue i'm having

So its correct that a call uses the car's LTE and not the smartphone's 4G? This would explain the issue i'm having

No, definitely not. I think @vcor was just giving general information... if the car's signal strength is good, that doesn't mean the phone's is (and vice versa). The car's signal strength *is* important for voice commands, which you said you're not using.

This has to be a bug in Tesla's software. I'm having a hard time understanding what could cause it to take so long. Unless perhaps it's unable to initiate calls over Bluetooth. Perhaps it *does* need to contact the app via LTE.

Sorry, I may have muddled the issue. I was just talking about how what the car sees for its cellular signal can be different and unrelated to what your phone sees. The car's LTE is not used in any phone call. Your cell phone talks to the cellular network, and the car communicates and sends audio to the phone via Bluetooth. So if your phone (outside the car) connects instantly to the cellular network, then the Bluetooth connection is suspect. That could be the phone or the car. Do other Bluetooth functions work fine - such as playing and selecting music from the car via the phone? If not, I would suspect something is wrong with Bluetooth in the phone, the car, or something interfering with the transmission.

OnePlus 6T phone is also not quite as popular as iPhone or Samsung phones (who together seem to have 90% of the market). I did see this which might relate, although no answers: OnePlus Community

update: i recreated this problem on the road
it took 10 to 15seconds to start the call using my car's tablet while i had no issue or delay doing it on my phone itself (no delay there).
It seems like my car somehow needs better 4G reception to fix this issue, or a software change to not require phone calls to have good car 4G reception ...
I have had similar effects but I get instant action if I open/use the phone to make a call. I use RH scroll wheel for dialling recent calls (phone is connected by BT) as my phone is supported by Tesla for the text/call/calendar selection via voice command. I started to see this when I made upgrade to v.11 as this was not the issue on previous releases. I had feeling that the phone soft is the issue and have reached over to have some clue but good to hear I’m not alone…
I keep my phone on the stand and if selecting (via RH scroll) to call I have no result until I open my phone as it’s on sleep mode, screen off. If the screen is on (from any previous usage) then there is no issue. I haven't yet waited to see how long does it take to start it by itself. It has improved after I did restart as needed to put summer tires on but I still see the effect.