Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Starting and also ending the iPace "comparison".

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MXWing

Oct 13, 2016
USA
Things, the iPace will never be doing - on Earth or on Mars.

Now as a far as a "race" - I am eagerly waiting for the Youtube Video
"Model X P100D towing the Jaguar iPace DESTROYS another iPace in the 1/4 mile"

iPace is cute and works well as someones secondary car toy but there's no equal to the X for a BEV that can do anything and everything due to its ability to tow and supercharge.

tesla1.jpg
tesla2.jpg

That video was an obvious one sided comparison. They threw in the 100D not the P100D cause ipace would have gotten smoked.
Average person won't know the difference, they just go based on video.

Problem with all the Evs manufacturers are throwing out is that none of them are putting in any effort to build a fast charging network. This is what sets Tesla appart. What's the point of the ipace or even the Porsche mission E if I can't fast charge during roadtrip? Porsche is building their fast charger at their dealers.... Really? That's your plan so they can probably talk tou into an ice car. Ice manufacturers aren't putting their all in. They are being forced to build EVs. They don't actually want you to buy them. Tesla messed everyone's cash cow and now they have to follow, unwillingly.

Yea marketing team. Isn’t Tesla all about marketing too? The FSD video is still on Tesla site. Similarly, an average person will buy into FSD based on the video (heck even Tesla owners did). We all know where things stand in reality.

True. FSD is none existent but it was a $3,000 option. You would lose $30,000 the moment you put 1 mile on the iPace.

The iPace video was all about "beating Tesla" - but they deliberately chose the entirely wrong class of car. The S75D beats the iPace in every single category, would have been faster and also cheaper.

The X is more expensive and heavier than the S (which already beats the iPace handily) but also has much more versatility which makes the iPace DOA if you wanted to truly compare heads up between the two.

Like the electek article said they should compare/compete with ICE instead of Tesla. However I understand if they are trying to compare with Tesla it’s logical to pick on the Model X 75/100 since they are both crossover SUV with similar acceleration. After all no one would an ad together that puts its own car in a disadvantage right? It doesn’t make sense to show a S75D or a XP100D beating the iPace.

Reactions: Snerruc
Like the electek article said they should compare/compete with ICE instead of Tesla. However I understand if they are trying to compare with Tesla it’s logical to pick on the Model X 75/100 since they are both crossover SUV with similar acceleration. After all no one would an ad together that puts its own car in a disadvantage right? It doesn’t make sense to show a S75D or a XP100D beating the iPace.

Where is the utility in an iPace though? Whether it's a CUV or SUV, it can't tow anything (of substance and for very far anyway). It has less storage than an S which is a Sedan. Yes it has similar acceleration to an X - it beats it even - but the X is far heavier. The X can tow an iPace, can an iPace tow an X? Different world.

I agree with you that Jaguar has to spin it to show their offering in a positive light - hence why I wanted to start and also end the debate before we start seeing "iPace as an X alternative threads en masse.

To me, the 3 rows vs 2 rows is a huge difference. If the Model X didn't have the 3rd row, I think I'd be driving a minivan right now...

The X allowed us to get rid of both the Odyssey van and Q5. I have a 2006 beater Grand Caravan I use with seats removed for raw storage capacity in the 1% of the use case where I need it. I can probably even do without that 1% if I purchased or rented a trailer as shown above.

It's really a wonder car that can be the primary and sole vehicle for families.

Be like Elon: Wellcome new EV's! It is a great thing that Jaguar starts producing an EV. Period.

But Elon also has not been shy about calling out compliance EVs that are not going to be competitive. Like the Bolt. Tesla CEO Elon Musk takes a direct shot at the Chevy Bolt

iPace suffers from the same problems as the Bolt (overpriced for its class and no fast charging network). Pretending those shortcomings do not exist does not help the EV cause IMO.

Last edited:

iPace is cute and works well as someones secondary car toy but there's no equal to the X for a BEV that can do anything and everything due to its ability to tow and supercharge.

View attachment 284178 View attachment 284179
Do you mind sharing your average Wh/Mile with that U-Haul setup? I'm looking to do something similar for a multi-state journey soon, but I want to be sure my 90D can make it from charger to charger. Thanks!

My trailer is bigger. Didn't plan to tow this with the X but couldn't find a proper wiring adapter for my landcruiser. X is a beast.

IMG_0832.JPG

View attachment 284178 View attachment 284179