Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Starting cabin temps - not sure if accurate? Even though it seems to be working fine?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Billbrown1982

TM3 LR 2021 | Red | FSD
Dec 21, 2020
Basildon
Been meaning to ask for a while. Pretty sure my climate control temps are fine, I leave it at 20 and its quite comfortable. Possibly even a bit warm. I used to keep my old car at 22 so I'm happy with that.

What surprises me, is occasions like now. Its 10am. I wake up, its sunny but not particularly so. According to google its 15 degrees outside.

My car think its 37 inside.....

That normal? By the time I get in it it'll be a nice comfortable 20 but yeah, bit weird.

Agree with the above it’s probably accurate - they get really hot inside if it’s sunny regardless of the outside air temperature - I guess it’s all the glass... I had 25 degrees inside it one afternoon when it was 1 degree outside!

Agree with the above posts about probably solar gain, but….the OP may have a point. Would be helpful if @Billbrown1982 adds whether temp read in the car itself or on the app.

I’ve noticed when loading the App initially there is a lag in the temperature updating. After say 10 seconds it changes. Loaded app now car says 13 deg. Waiting until the car wakes up: 8 degrees.

My impression is this is newer behaviour. I can’t remember if it didn’t used to show the temperature at all until the car had booted? I have definitely seen some big jumps.

In the example above I can’t work out if 13 degrees is the temp from the last time I used the app, or something else.

Agree with the above posts about probably solar gain, but….the OP may have a point. Would be helpful if @Billbrown1982 adds whether temp read in the car itself or on the app.

I’ve noticed when loading the App initially there is a lag in the temperature updating. After say 10 seconds it changes. Loaded app now car says 13 deg. Waiting until the car wakes up: 8 degrees.

My impression is this is newer behaviour. I can’t remember if it didn’t used to show the temperature at all until the car had booted? I have definitely seen some big jumps.

In the example above I can’t work out if 13 degrees is the temp from the last time I used the app, or something else.
when you open the app it shows the figures including charge state from the last time it was updated i.e. the last time it was open. When the car wakes up, which takes several seconds it updates all of the numbers with the latest figures from the car.

Reactions: Adopado
The glass roof does an excellent job. Probably similar level of heat rejection as a tin top that also suffer from no shorts on seats or mind the metal seat belt fasteners. Its the side windows that are the issue.

Last year, I got my thermal imaging camera out on a very sunny day. Seat face temperatures in the shadow of the roof were similar to areas protected by shadow of metal. But those only having the windscreen and side windows were sky high temperatures.

Ah sorry - its the app.

And its definitely woken up by that point. I have switched the climate control on and got the coloured arrows indicating heating or cooling, then I watch the cabin temperature change from there. So its definitely "accurate" or at least it think it is.

The temperature sensor on the Model 3 is located at the bottom rear of the touch screen and it will report a different (ambient) temperature if the electronics are in heavy demand such as during an update. I've left an outdoor temperature sensor in the cabin (in the cup holder area) and that usually report a different temperature (lower when the sunlight is warming up the back of the touch screen).