Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Starting in 2023 California requires chargers to show kWh capacity, price, kWh delivered

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ecarfan

https://electrek.co/2019/12/24/cali...lling-tesla-superchargers-will-need-displays/

Quote: “The new [California] rule requires that charging stations (Electric Vehicle Service Equipment, or “EVSEs”) have a “primary indicating element” directly “on the face” of the station. This display will show the EVSE’s kWh capacity, price per kWh, and a running meter of kWh delivered. A lot like gasoline pumps already do. This rule will only apply to new Level 2 chargers deployed 2021 onwards, and DCFC chargers deployed 2023 onwards”.

Tesla could of course show all that information in the car while you are charging, and in fact already does show some of that information. It seems that California regulators are still using the “gas pump” approach to thinking about EV chargers. Which seems silly to me. Just require EVs to show all that information in the car while charging. No need to physically modify existing charting pedestals to show it.

But the bigger news is this, quote: “Effective January 1, 2020, these new rules ban operators of electric vehicle charging stations from billing by the minute.”

This has a huge impact on Electrify American, EVGo, and others.

Most of those other companies already have displays on their chargers. Will only need to provide software to display the legally required consumer information.

Amazing to me that they would allow such a short period of time to institute these changes. Seems to be governmental overreach.

When I use EVgo for my i3, it displays the flat rate charge and cost per minute/kWh.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Most of those other companies already have displays on their chargers. Will only need to provide software to display the legally required consumer information.

Amazing to me that they would allow such a short period of time to institute these changes. Seems to be governmental overreach.
The display requirement doesn't become effective that quickly. From the article:

"This rule will only apply to new Level 2 chargers deployed 2021 onwards, and DCFC chargers deployed 2023 onwards. But as of 2031 for Level 2 and 2033 for DCFC, all EVSEs in the state must comply with the rule, no more grand-fathered exceptions."

The per-minute charging rule only leaves the affected providers less than two weeks to react though, that seems harsh. And the politicians failed to do something about the exorbitant demand rates that the utilities are allowed to take, making it very difficult for charging providers to operate profitably. But from the consumer perspective, the per-kWh charging is of course a good thing.

They need to measure in units of at least 0.1 Wh with 1% accuracy (long term acceptance criteria). However, they do not specify (at least in this document) where that measurement is referenced to:
Gross power to the EVSE (owner cost)
Gross power from the EVSE (output of equipment at unit)
Gross power at connector (input to vehicle)