Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Starting to deliver Production P90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a confirmed date and time for delivery. It is Friday 2/26/16 at noon. MikeJr has volunteered to go with me to do an inspection. Appocimately 9 weeks from confirmation to delivery.

Resv #8143 | Production VIN 000251 |P90D | Titanium Metallic | Tan Leather | Ash wood | Light Headliner | 20" silver helix wheels | Premium upgrade | Autopilot | Six seat (2-2-2) | Towing | 72 amp

FLORIDA TESLA ENTHUSIASTS

Congratulations! I'm sooo jealous! I'm 4 behind you in Vin and confirmed on 12/16. Which takes me to 10 weeks as of yesterday!

Here are a few pictures of when I was almost taking delivery today.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    17.6 KB · Views: 95
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    14.3 KB · Views: 101
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    19 KB · Views: 93
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    12.6 KB · Views: 97
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    18.2 KB · Views: 103
Here is a link to few better pictures of my Model X P90DL:

My Tesla Model X P90DL on Pinterest

Oh so you're the lucky owner of that X. When I went in for my test drive, They showed it to me after I finished my reservation. The X was in factory mode and the interior was being worked on because some of the options didn't come pre-installed.

- - - Updated - - -

For people not familiar with HTTP requests... look at the URL in your browser, it should say "https://www.teslamotors.com/mytesla/profile?rn=" and then the RN.

Thanks for the hint, Peter, I totally missed that!

Incidentally, both the RN and the VIN (if one is assigned) are mentioned in several places in the source, for example in JSON:

{"country":"US","model":"mx","rn":"RNxxxxxx","vin":"","invoice_flag":false,"locale":"en_US","uid":"933xxxxx","allowed_file_extensions":

And later in a form: (Have to reformat that so the formatting doesn't destroy this - obviously [ is < and ] is >).

[input type="hidden" name="pickup_location_options" value="" /]
[input type="hidden" name="rn" value="RNxxxxxx" /]
[input type="hidden" name="vin" value="" /]

Btw - I reserved a 90D, I don't have a VIN yet, just this new layout without the RN and with the delivery sequence text.

When did complete your order? I ordered my 90D on 2/13/16 confirmed on 2/19 and on 2/20 I had a VIN assigned.

Really! 90D???

Even if it is a P90D (I highly doubt that there are any 90Ds with a VIN at this point), I'm still a bit disappointed that a P90D confirmed in late February 2016 would get a VIN. I was hoping that mid-January (when they stopped inviting more people to configure) was a bit of a cut-off so they could work through the backlog. That means somebody configuring a P90D in May or June would still be able to get their car ahead of people who ordered a 90D in January, which will push the production of 90Ds even further back.

Sorry to report that after test driving the Model X in Highland Park, IL almost 2 weeks ago I decided that I didn't love the car as much as I had hoped. It is certainly great, but the falcon-wing doors are totally unnecessary as far as I am concerned; neat engineering feat, but unnecessary. I'm past the kiddie-seat phase. I'm a fan of sunroofs, but none is possible, though the windshield is impressive and there was no problem at all with sun glare from above on a crystal clear day. I could probably get used to the blind spot warning on the dash instead of outside mirrors, the spotty satellite radio reception in wonky cell areas, and the fact that no one over 5'10" or so could sit in the middle seat of the second row due to the falcon-wing door configuration. I really had been planning (for a few years) to LOVE the vehicle, but alas, they are FedExing my refund check to me.
Congrats to all who have or will have the X. Enjoy. It's not you, it's me.
The search begins anew...

Sorry to report that after test driving the Model X in Highland Park, IL almost 2 weeks ago I decided that I didn't love the car as much as I had hoped. It is certainly great, but ...

Sorry to hear it was not what you expected. I am sure it will be all I am expecting, but would have seriously considered a Model S if it weren't as low as it is. My mother in law will have serious issues getting out of an S, so that is one prime consideration for me.

Even if it is a P90D (I highly doubt that there are any 90Ds with a VIN at this point), I'm still a bit disappointed that a P90D confirmed in late February 2016 would get a VIN. I was hoping that mid-January (when they stopped inviting more people to configure) was a bit of a cut-off so they could work through the backlog. That means somebody configuring a P90D in May or June would still be able to get their car ahead of people who ordered a 90D in January, which will push the production of 90Ds even further back.

Tesla is not prepared to build 90Ds yet. I think this is less about putting high margin orders first and more about simplifying production until they are able to mass produce a reliable product. By only building P90D with premium upgrades, they are able to focus on getting this specific configuration perfected to the point where they can deliver them directly off the line to customers without having to go through extensive rework. Adding additional motor and interior trim configurations at this point would only slow the ramp and make it harder to pinpoint issues. The time for 90D will come, but we aren't there yet.