Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Starting to feel like Cybertruck is going the way of the Roadster: Vaporware

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I feel for the Roadster reservation holders - will that car ever get built and delivered?
Wonder if Cybertruck is in the same stuck loop.
Cybertruck isn’t happening. At least not the way they originally intended.

Ford and Rivian beat Tesla to market and the price to deliver this monstrosity has ballooned beyond the point of profitability.

The $39K version will never see the light of day.

Ford and Rivian beat Tesla to market and the price to deliver this monstrosity has ballooned beyond the point of profitability.

For those interested in the Cybertruck, the competition is good ... even if it takes long since both Ford and Rivian have some great functionality and features. Tesla is going to need to "keep up" or the debut will be ho-hum at this point. Heck the GM EV Silverado will likely be out before the Cybertruck and certainly all their experience with the GM EV Hummer (excellent reviews minus efficiency) will allow them to make a very capable and feature rich product out of the gate.

IMO, the truck market is the real turning point to break into the ingrained ICE population and rural areas.

I just ordered a Rivian R1S last night after coming to grips with the fact that it’ll be a very long time before I get my Cybertruck, which I ordered on 11/22/2019. The Model X is averaging 400 days from order to delivery and that’s a vehicle they already know how to build. If the CT ever goes into production it’ll take years to ramp up. I’m still excited about it but I believe that if I get my Rivian in 2023 it’ll be old by the time my Cybertruck comes around to replace it…

I just ordered a Rivian R1S last night after coming to grips with the fact that it’ll be a very long time before I get my Cybertruck, which I ordered on 11/22/2019. The Model X is averaging 400 days from order to delivery and that’s a vehicle they already know how to build. If the CT ever goes into production it’ll take years to ramp up. I’m still excited about it but I believe that if I get my Rivian in 2023 it’ll be old by the time my Cybertruck comes around to replace it…
You think you'll get the Rivian in 2023? LOL! 2024 if you're lucky. 2025 realistially.

And you'll still get it before the Cyberduck.

These companies need to put more charging with pull throughs in rural areas. Especially with pickups towing trailers. Stopping at a campground to charge may not be possible.

True, I think Tesla is slightly ahead of the curve when it comes to that. Though that's just based on my personal Californian experience having charged at a relatively rural Tesla supercharger location in Inyokern.

You think you'll get the Rivian in 2023? LOL! 2024 if you're lucky. 2025 realistially.

And you'll still get it before the Cyberduck.
With two Tesla orders (2019 Cybertruck order, July 2021 Model X order) and now also a Rivian order as of a few days ago, and no reliable estimated delivery date on any of it I feel like I’m going door to door at electric car companies doing this and getting the door slammed in my face
1B6C546A-92A3-41CF-A05C-A85BA20695DB.jpeg

......... The Model X is averaging 400 days from order to delivery and that’s a vehicle they already know how to build. If the CT ever goes into production it’ll take years to ramp up. .......
These are Tesla models Tesla does not want to produce. There is only one assembly line for Model X and zero for Cybertruck. All energy is on producing as many Model Y's as possible and bringing down the price. That is Tesla's golden child. Everything else is a loss leader. The truth hurts :(

These are Tesla models Tesla does not want to produce. There is only one assembly line for Model X and zero for Cybertruck. All energy is on producing as many Model Y's as possible and bringing down the price. That is Tesla's golden child. Everything else is a loss leader. The truth hurts :(
Maybe they can make a El Camino style Model Y, and get it to market sooner. That way I can just cancel my order and keep my Model S.

1653830008544.png

The Lyriq looks frigging good too
It does, like an I-Pace with more range, more power, and probably worse handling. It also doesn't have air suspension, so don't bother taking it off road. Our I-Pace is 3.5 years old, and I've only liked the i4 so far. Everything else has been chintzy (Ford, Kia, Tesla), too big (Porsche), or meh (everything else). I only need 200 miles of range in the worst possible case, so I just don't care about superchargers and whatnot.

I had a reservation for the Ford lightening. I'm In Canada. I recently was told that I could now put money down and make it an order. They couldn't tell me how long the wait would be. Maybe a year was there guess. The price was too high for me. I think it was $80k Canadian for the mid trim truck. I declined and they gave me my $100 back.
I figure that the Tesla charging network is a large part of the value of a Tesla. It's hard to put a number on but let's say the charging network adds %20 to the value of a Tesla. So I'm my mind, the Ford would have to be an equal truck to the Cybertruck, and be %20 less because of the lack of a charging network. Of course I don't know what the price will be for the Cybertruck, but I'm thinking it will be similar in price or maybe a bit cheaper than the Ford. So to me, the Cybertruck is the better value.
It does, like an I-Pace with more range, more power, and probably worse handling. It also doesn't have air suspension, so don't bother taking it off road. Our I-Pace is 3.5 years old, and I've only liked the i4 so far. Everything else has been chintzy (Ford, Kia, Tesla), too big (Porsche), or meh (everything else). I only need 200 miles of range in the worst possible case, so I just don't care about superchargers and whatnot.

For those interested in the Cybertruck, the competition is good ... even if it takes long since both Ford and Rivian have some great functionality and features. Tesla is going to need to "keep up" or the debut will be ho-hum at this point. Heck the GM EV Silverado will likely be out before the Cybertruck and certainly all their experience with the GM EV Hummer (excellent reviews minus efficiency) will allow them to make a very capable and feature rich product out of the gate.

IMO, the truck market is the real turning point to break into the ingrained ICE population and rural areas.

I had a reservation for the Ford lightening. I'm In Canada. I recently was told that I could now put money down and make it an order. They couldn't tell me how long the wait would be. Maybe a year was there guess. The price was too high for me. I think it was $80k Canadian for the mid trim truck. I declined and they gave me my $100 back.
I figure that the Tesla charging network is a large part of the value of a Tesla. It's hard to put a number on but let's say the charging network adds %20 to the value of a Tesla. So I'm my mind, the Ford would have to be an equal truck to the Cybertruck, and be %20 less because of the lack of a charging network. Of course I don't know what the price will be for the Cybertruck, but I'm thinking it will be similar in price or maybe a bit cheaper than the Ford. So to me, the Cybertruck is the better value.
When you use the Supercharger network, the fuel cost is not included in the price of the vehicle, you pay to use it. So the added value to the vehicle itself is no different than the corner gas station. The CCS charge network has been built out quite a bit over the past few years, and it will continue to do so. I can now travel anywhere in my State using the existing CCS stations. The Supercharger network doesn't have the same functional exclusivity it once had.