Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Starting to feel like Cybertruck is going the way of the Roadster: Vaporware

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Groan. Yes, pedant, there may a tiny test/experimental H2 infrastructure in a tax-squandering state. I even balked at writing "zero" for that reason.
Being a vanishingly small fraction amid all energy taps (mostly gas nozzles and electrical outlets) across some 3.797 million mi², I went with writing "zero" anyway.

Contrast Georgia (among others) which was able to subsidize enough public chargers & cheap EVs, on top of every home's existing 110v outlets in every garage, to persuade enough people to normalize electric cars through much of the state. Teslas everywhere around here.

I've supercharged once, and it was just to try it out. Much more expensive than home electricity. No thanks!

If I do a big trip, I can see supercharging being useful of course, but I'd rather drive 5.5 hours with ICE and a 5 minute fill up than take 7 hours because of a couple of longer charges.
Wait… you have to pay for super charging?

• Funny
Reactions: cleverscreenam
Free supercharging was a loss leader for early adopters.

Given that most EV owners charge at home most of the time, expensive supercharging is a reasonable tradeoff.
I Mostly charge at home which is very cheap but I also take a lot of long distance trips and supercharging is still 1/3 the price of gasoline for the miles. Also don't know what people still think it takes hours to charge a car at superchargers. 800 mile trip takes maybe 45 minutes of supercharging.

I Mostly charge at home which is very cheap but I also take a lot of long distance trips and supercharging is still 1/3 the price of gasoline for the miles. Also don't know what people still think it takes hours to charge a car at superchargers. 800 mile trip takes maybe 45 minutes of supercharging.

I just read that W. Coast Supercharger rates are .58 cents per kWh.

So if you buy 50 kWh at the Supercharger that's $29. Your car will only accept about 87% of that charge as the rest goes to heat so you end up with a gain of 44 kWh in the EV's batteries.

Insideevs rates the MY-AWD at 3.85m/ kWh so that means you can drive 192 miles on that $29.

There are several competitive and luxurious hybrid crossovers that get about 40 mpg but just grabbing the Lexus UX 250h that gets 41 mpg on the highway we'd need 4.7 gallons of RUG to travel that same 192 miles.

Where I live in TX RUG is $3.71 right now however on the West coast it's probably closer to $5.50 so using the West Coast fuel prices that's $25.76 in fuel for that same drive, which is cheaper than the EV.

The point is that an equivalent ICE vehicle does not cost 3x as much to fuel as it cost to Supercharge a MY. In fact for it to be 1/3 the cost you'd need to spend $87 on gasoline which is a 12mpg vehicle. Which don't even exist any longer.

Just saying...

So if you buy 50 kWh at the Supercharger that's $29. Your car will only accept about 87% of that charge as the rest goes to heat so you end up with a gain of 44 kWh in the EV's batteries.

Insideevs rates the MY-AWD at 3.85m/ kWh so that means you can drive 192 miles on that $29.

There are several competitive and luxurious hybrid crossovers that get about 40 mpg but just grabbing the Lexus UX 250h that gets 41 mpg on the highway we'd need 4.7 gallons of RUG to travel that same 192 miles.

Where I live in TX RUG is $3.71 right now however on the West coast it's probably closer to $5.50 so using the West Coast fuel prices that's $25.76 in fuel for that same drive, which is cheaper than the EV.

The point is that an equivalent ICE vehicle does not cost 3x as much to fuel as it cost to Supercharge a MY. In fact for it to be 1/3 the cost you'd need to spend $87 on gasoline which is a 12mpg vehicle. Which don't even exist any longer.

Just saying...
That's west coast. Here in the Midwest gas has been $4.80ish per gal and supercharging has been between $0.25 and $0.33 per kWh. Haven't spent more than $15 on a 70% charge in a long time. Most of the time across Wisconsin I only pay about $10 to $12

The point is that an equivalent ICE vehicle does not cost 3x as much to fuel as it cost to Supercharge a MY. In fact for it to be 1/3 the cost you'd need to spend $87 on gasoline which is a 12mpg vehicle. Which don't even exist any longer. Just saying...
Unfortunately, there are still plenty of super-duty trucks and exotic cars that get under 12 mpg. ;)

• Informative
I don't think so. I have many friends and work mates that haul horses. A new diesel dualie gets about 19-20 mpg.

Exotic sports cars get pretty darn good economy when driven for economy because they are slippery and light.

As an aside, a few years back on the corvette forum a guy one weekend documented a long highway run in his Chevy Volt, then the next weekend did it in his new C7 Corvette. The Corvette got better mpg. Not totally surprising considering the NA V8 had cylinder deactivation and the 7 speed manual trans.

Just saying...
My Lexus LX570 gets ~12 mpg. ~8mpg when I’m towing my camper. I’m waiting for an EV option to replace it with.

Reactions: TessP100D
I don't think so. I have many friends and work mates that haul horses. A new diesel dualie gets about 19-20 mpg.
Exotic sports cars get pretty darn good economy when driven for economy because they are slippery and light.

As an aside, a few years back on the corvette forum a guy one weekend documented a long highway run in his Chevy Volt, then the next weekend did it in his new C7 Corvette. The Corvette got better mpg. Not totally surprising considering the NA V8 had cylinder deactivation and the 7 speed manual trans.

Fuel Economy – Bugatti Chiron Super Sport – 9 mpg​

white Bugatti Chiron release with black grille and accents, front three-quarter shot

It only makes pure and beautiful sense that one of the most expensive cars on the planet is also the absolute worst on fuel. The fact that a 2022 model year vehicle has a single-digit fuel economy rating almost feels illegal. It’s not far off from being illegal, either. However, Bugatti is riding it out while they can still get away with it. The Chiron Super Sport uses a quad-turbocharged W16 engine that makes a breathtaking 1,577 horsepower and 1,180 pound-feet of torque. It has a top speed of over 270 miles per hour.

The EPA stats are abysmal on this legendary vehicle. It has a city rating of 8 miles per gallon and a highway rating of 11. This gives the Chiron Super Sport a combined EPA rating of just nine mpg. Additionally, the EPA site states that driving a Chiron compared to the average 2022 vehicle will cost an extra $30,000 over five years. Furthermore, it says that it costs $14 to drive 25 miles and has an annual fuel cost of $8,400, assuming an average of 15,000 annual miles. Let’s be honest, though; no Bugatti accumulates that mileage. Considering its base price of $3,825,000, you 100 percent don’t have to feel any sympathy for Chiron owners at the pump.

• Informative

MODELComb MPGCity/Hwy MPG
Bugatti Chiron Pur / Super Sport98 / 11
Lamborghini Aventador (Coupe and Roadster)119 / 16
RAM 1500 TRX 4×41210 / 14
Ferrari 812 GTS1312 / 15
Bentley Continental GT Speed Convertible1412 / 18
Rolls-Royce Cullinan1412 / 20
Rolls-Royce Phantom1412 / 20
Rolls-Royce Ghost1412 / 19
Ford GT1412 / 18