Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Starting to feel like Cybertruck is going the way of the Roadster: Vaporware

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you know what's included in an NDA for all the levels of people who might have this information? Depending on the scope, maybe not.
I know the type of information the poster in question was alluding to is covered. If it weren’t, then why be so cagey about passing along the info?

“I know for a fact X,Y,Z is happening at Tesla. That’s all I can say for now…”

Okaaaayyyyyy…

Almost every EV truck maker is shooting their prices to the moon, why would Tesla undercut when they command a premium over other EV brands? People pay MORE money to get a Tesla. You don't undercut when you're the leader in the market.
Was with you up to this point.
As you said earlier: "you really need to understand that trucks are not cars."
Tesla isn't the leader in the electric truck market. Ford is. I've seen Rivians in the wild. A couple prototypes isn't leading.

Was with you up to this point.
As you said earlier: "you really need to understand that trucks are not cars."
Tesla isn't the leader in the electric truck market. Ford is. I've seen Rivians in the wild. A couple prototypes isn't leading.
By that view Tesla also wasn't the leader in the $40k long-range EV market, since Chevrolet released the Bolt first.

Last edited:
Anyway, this is largely what Tesla/Elon are doing now. See: Semi, Roadster. I think Elon got a bit ahead of himself on unlocking gains via the 4680 batteries and so Tesla has to slow walk the rollout of those products until they are confident in scaling up 4680s. Just my opinion on that, though. I could be off.
It's also worth remembering that at the time of the Semi and Roadster event, Tesla was still struggling financially so Musk was in full bullshit mode.

But yes, I agree that Semi and Roadster hinge on 4680. They aren't vaporware in the true sense of the word.

My expectations are that CT production starts in late 2023, and I expect there will be some configuration priced under 80K. I mean it's obvious that 2019 pricing is long gone. Even so a dual motor at 70 is a bargain relative to it's competition.

I have an opportunity to order a Lightning but the only configuration of interest is $87K + TTL. Ford didn't even try to price an extended range version that's under the tax credit cap.

Have you seen a bolt? It is a compact, not close to the same car class as a midsized model 3. Competitors are the leaf, i3,…. Tesla does not make a compact.
Yes, I've seen the Bolt. I've driven one. I've sat in one, front and rear.

It's a people mover, same as the Model 3. Good cabin space for the footprint.
Also more maneuverable than a Model 3 (turning radius 2' smaller), and better range than the SR+.
It's also more than quick enough for the market (0-60 in 6.5 seconds, and is know to beat that).

The point was that first to market doesn't make a company the leader.

It's also worth remembering that at the time of the Semi and Roadster event, Tesla was still struggling financially so Musk was in full bullshit mode.

But yes, I agree that Semi and Roadster hinge on 4680. They aren't vaporware in the true sense of the word.
1664292235901.png