Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Starting to not like this car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is Tesla #3 for me. My 3rd Model S....but....I enjoy my wife's Mercedes 400E way better. It's audio system is easy to use. It's more customizable. It's quieter. I am not glancing at a computer screen all the time. Info is right in front of me. There's a heads up display. I can grab a vent to adjust. Honestly, I regret buying this and I was a fan. No doubt... it drives great... but it's missing so many things... the entire dash is just useless unless you are using self driving. No info AT ALL. The turn signals suck. The horn sucks. IDK... I wish I felt differently. But I'd rather drive the cheaper Merc.

You're gonna get slammed here for daring to having that opinion. However, thank you for voicing it. I think I would feel the same with a new car. I just did a 1400 mile road trip, with a few people coming up and asking questions. (I guess I look approachable?) When they ask how I like my car, I say I love that one (pointing to my 2015 S) but I wouldn't buy a new one because of the changes made since. As a long-time Tesla supporter, I felt bad saying that. Your post supports my position, though.

My 2016.5 MS 75D was awesome. I think the interior of the latest MS is a strong upgrade, with two certain and two possible additional exceptions. The yoke (and everything on it) is a disservice to the car (one). The elimination of stalks is a completely unforced error (two). I think the horizontal screen with its current width is great, but the yoke obscures the left side (three). The rear screen is a bit of a question mark; how much value does it add and for how many people (four), honest question?

Tesla needs to at least make the wheel and stalks a no-cost option. And, as timeless as I think the current design is, Tesla needs to take a swing at a serious body update, so it can let THAT rather than a yoke be the most talked-about feature.

Just my $.02…

I hereby bequeath my permission for you to sell your car and buy what you want. ✅

You will find that to be a more effective strategy to achieve happiness rather than moaning on an anonymous online discussion forum.
So, it’s only legit for forum members to praise every detail of the cars? Hmmm…

Seems a “strategy” for happiness might be to provide customer feedback where you can, since Tesla doesn’t seem to host such a venue, if it might shift their focus in a competitive direction.

I hereby bequeath my permission for you to sell your car and buy what you want. ✅

You will find that to be a more effective strategy to achieve happiness rather than moaning on an anonymous online discussion forum.
No.. that's not the point. I want this car and company to succeed. The point is to maybe have the powers that be improve the car. If this is just an Elon Musk fan boy forum than ok. I thought it was to help be honest about the car.

No.. that's not the point. I want this car and company to succeed. The point is to maybe have the powers that be improve the car. If this is just an Elon Musk fan boy forum than ok. I thought it was to help be honest about the car.

If you really don’t like your Model S, and replacing it is feasible for you, you’d probably be happier selling it than keeping it. IMHO that’s independent of you posting criticism here, which you are of course free to also do. Everyone should respect other posters’ opinions.

Posting feedback here, which is an independent forum unrelated to Tesla, Inc., isn’t guaranteed to bring about any change in the car. And I would dispute the characterization of TMC as an “Elon Musk fan boy forum”, there is a pretty wide range of opinions about Tesla, Elon, and which direction the sun comes up in the morning.

Peace,

Bruce.

Not a fan of Elon, but I AM a fan of Tesla. I have never compared one car to another as I owned them, but if having a button to push is important to you, I'd guess you should have figured that out before you paid for it. If that's fanboi, so be it. Gotta blame someone other than yourself.

As to Mercedes being a better car, well, I'd point out that the MB is not electric, end of comparison. I fill up in my garage with clean electricity (I have 66 solar panels plus 3 power walls), my car can beat most cars off the line without trying, it's roomy and quiet and... Gorgeous. As the fellow said above, maybe you'd better sell it. Other than being white, it's still a great car.

Not a fan of Elon, but I AM a fan of Tesla. I have never compared one car to another as I owned them, but if having a button to push is important to you, I'd guess you should have figured that out before you paid for it. If that's fanboi, so be it. Gotta blame someone other than yourself.

As to Mercedes being a better car, well, I'd point out that the MB is not electric, end of comparison. I fill up in my garage with clean electricity (I have 66 solar panels plus 3 power walls), my car can beat most cars off the line without trying, it's roomy and quiet and... Gorgeous. As the fellow said above, maybe you'd better sell it. Other than being white, it's still a great car.
What’s wrong with white? 😂
9B021200-923A-461C-8F5C-830CE8277082.jpeg

Funny how touchy some are on here. IMO, since I have owned Teslas since 2016...3 of them... I'm have a pretty good idea of what to expect when I buy one. I was happy with the 70 that I first got. I loved the 100 that was my second one. I almost just kept it. But I thought.. hey.. it's Tesla.. this LR is gonna be great. That's why I am so dissatisfied. Sorry.. it's not as good as it could be for a 104,000 car. It went backwards. I don't even mind the yoke. But, seriously, what idiot decided that the horn IS NOT easily accessible. It's a button... that you have to think about where it is and by that time it's too late. What designer decided to have turn signals that you have to touch at EXACTLY the right spot to engage them. What designers decided that Sirius comes and goes as it pleases and is so unusable that I am just using my phone now. The entertainment interface on my old 100 was way more usable. This is a mess. Anyone know how it decides what is a favorite or recent in that list? Why when you scroll through favorites it can't just go to the next favorite? It defaults to the next station in the Sirius list, not your favorite. Sorry. It's a 100k car. It should be flawless. But... it farts.

Funny how touchy some are on here. IMO, since I have owned Teslas since 2016...3 of them... I'm have a pretty good idea of what to expect when I buy one. I was happy with the 70 that I first got. I loved the 100 that was my second one. I almost just kept it. But I thought.. hey.. it's Tesla.. this LR is gonna be great. That's why I am so dissatisfied. Sorry.. it's not as good as it could be for a 104,000 car. It went backwards. I don't even mind the yoke. But, seriously, what idiot decided that the horn IS NOT easily accessible. It's a button... that you have to think about where it is and by that time it's too late. What designer decided to have turn signals that you have to touch at EXACTLY the right spot to engage them. What designers decided that Sirius comes and goes as it pleases and is so unusable that I am just using my phone now. The entertainment interface on my old 100 was way more usable. This is a mess. Anyone know how it decides what is a favorite or recent in that list? Why when you scroll through favorites it can't just go to the next favorite? It defaults to the next station in the Sirius list, not your favorite. Sorry. It's a 100k car. It should be flawless. But... it farts.
I do love my car but the faults you pointed out are my gripes as well. There are times where I somehow push the wrong direction on the turn signal and don’t realize it until after I turn. It’s so embarrassing it makes me feel like I am a new driver. That would never happen with stalks. Same gripes with XM, there are times where it isn’t accessible and I have no idea why and just hope it pops up next time I drive. It would also be nice to cycle through only your favorites and also be able to move your favorites around. These are all common sense issues that the cheapest cars get right.

Oh and one more thing is I would like for Tesla to be able to figure out why my memory function for my seat stopped working. Saying it’s a known problem and hopefully a software update in the future will fix it is unacceptable for a $140k car.

The refresh is a step backwards? Hahahaha

As, I new Telsa/EV refresh Model S owner, I like most of what the car offers. I really like the yoke and the capacitive turn signal buttons. Can’t imagine going back. When I drive my wife’s BMW, I am trying to press for the turn signal and the regular steering wheel looks dated.

I agree the media UI is a complete mess. BMW iDrive is way ahead of Tesla and especially with HUD. Why can’t Tesla have presets like every other car? Favorites is confusing and like the OP said, looking at that big screen searching for media is dangerous. Also - why no media on the drivers console? All of this is common sense stuff and for a tech company should be updated by now.

FSD is ok, but no better than the latest BMW. I think Tesla needs to be better at range too. It says 405 for my LR, but never gets close to that. Still not bad, but be more realistic like BMW, Mercedes, etc…. I would rather overperform in range than underperform.

Considering a Lucid Air, which I got to sit in last week. Paint job was better than my Tesla, seats seemed better. UI was confusing and I prefer Tesla screen better. Soft close doors were great, but trunk was really poor compared to the Model S. Hearing range in that is underperforming too, but so few owners. I just like it because I can get silver. :)

It’s part of an overall package just like anything else. Infotainment is always, always a major part of a car review is it not?
It most definitely is. In previous cars never even thought about it, as always worked, always had presets or favorites, always easy to scroll through, had AM radio, etc…. Should not be hard for Tesla to get it right, if they would just focus a little in this area, instead of the endless FSD updates that rarely change anything. Annoying.

Tesla wants you to stream everything too, which is fine, but not fine when in rural areas. I was in Ontario, Canada last week and constant buffering or loss signal on the 401 from Toronto to Windsor. That is why streaming is annoying. Add a proper AM radio and don’t have to worry about streaming.