Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Starting to regret getting Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1. Disable the auto lock feature. I also disabled the auto present door handle feature as I found it to be annoying as they'd present when I'd go into my garage to take out the garbage, etc.
Mine does that every time I go into the garage for something.

I does not bother me though. I just think of the Model S like a puppy: it's exited to see me and want me to take it out for a drive. :)

I've found that attaching the Tesla fob to a keyring with a bunch of keys on it can also lead to problems. If I have the fob in my pocket with other keys, the car has difficulty sensing the fob, even when inside the car. For this reason, I recommend carrying your fob in a separate pocket from your keys.

How would reading the owners manual have changed the outcome?

Yes it would have...you would know how to unlock the door rather than getting frustrated and complain about the car...Most of the MS owners learn a lot about the car before they buy and that includes me.

Read my post up thread. There is no way to unlock the door even by pressing all handles and trunk. This happened to me after I had owned the car for over 2 years. RTFM? I think not.

The other thing I find interesting, and I'm not criticizing at all, just interesting, is that the OP is so upset about these small issues. It just goes to show you how different people are. I have been reading about this company since 2008 or earlier (well before there was a Model S). I am finally about to order a car (this week hopefully). I have agonized over whether to get Pano because of the noise and leak issues. If I do opt for it and it ends up being problematic, there is no way it would cause me to regret buying the car, because it's a known and thoroughly documented issue. It may cause me to kick myself a little for getting the roof, but that's about it. I'm guessing OP is absent from the discussion as of late because the regret has already kicked in for the remarks in the original post.

The other thing I find interesting, and I'm not criticizing at all, just interesting, is that the OP is so upset about these small issues. It just goes to show you how different people are. I have been reading about this company since 2008 or earlier (well before there was a Model S). I am finally about to order a car (this week hopefully). I have agonized over whether to get Pano because of the noise and leak issues. If I do opt for it and it ends up being problematic, there is no way it would cause me to regret buying the car, because it's a known and thoroughly documented issue. It may cause me to kick myself a little for getting the roof, but that's about it. I'm guessing OP is absent from the discussion as of late because the regret has already kicked in for the remarks in the original post.

I had some issues with Pano roof when I first got my car 3 years ago but they fixed them in the first few months and no problems since. I believe the number of complaints on this issue are less now than they used to be judging just from lack of posts on this topic here until this one.

I don't think it's that unusual. In my situation:
1) I take the garbage out by going through a side door off the garage, for which I need my keys. When I walk by the car, the handles present.
2) I often get the mail right after getting home, with keys still in my pocket. Handles present when walking by.
3) I often do small chores or play with my kids after we get home. I don't take my keys out of my pocket until we actually go inside. Every time I walk by the car, the handles present.
4) my wife keeps her key in her purse. When she goes to her car, the tesla's handles present.
I still don't get it. When when you are entering the garage that you go pick up your key and put it in your pocket? That's the part that doesn't make sense to me. I go into my garage often during the day, but I only pick up my key and put it in my pocket when I'm going to the car, so I'm confused why the key would be in your pocket outside of you just being on the way to/from the car and grabbing the mail or trash while doing so.

-

The fob is large (esp if you keep it in its leather sheath... please, no sheath jokes, thank you).

So a lot of people don't want to keep it in a pants pocket, especially women, who prefer empty pockets. This puts it at risk for being left in all sorts of places... I left mine in a backpack and, like the OP, the car decided it couldn't see the fob, locked itself, and wouldn't present handles.

Worse, in my case, I was out of cell range, so I couldn't use the mothership to talk to it either. I honestly wish the car could make a direct connection with my cell phone (the technology is trivial, 802.11 is already in the car and in any smartphone), but instead you have to go through the Internet to talk to the car 1/2 a meter away. Ah well...

I'm still overjoyed with my purchase and love my car. My only real complaint is that the 17" is painfully slow and way out-of-date. I wish they would put new hardware in these things.

I pushed on the handles (all four) with no luck. It definitely locked itself. I just dropped it off at the service center.

- - - Updated - - -

The key was in my briefcase on the floor of the car in front of the passenger seat. The cell phone was far away in the center console. Yes, did try all the handles and the rear trunk.

I do have the Pano, and originally thought that may be it was what was creaking. However, the noise is there regardless of whether the Pano is open or closed.

Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Great idea. Thank you!

I pushed on the handles (all four) with no luck. It definitely locked itself. I just dropped it off at the service center.

- - - Updated - - -

The key was in my briefcase on the floor of the car in front of the passenger seat. The cell phone was far away in the center console. Yes, did try all the handles and the rear trunk.

Very surprised the trunk didn't work as it actively pings for the key while holding down the trunk release button, I wonder if your key is bad or battery was low. Very sorry about you being locked out especially without your phone.

- - - Updated - - -

I do have the Pano, and originally thought that may be it was what was creaking. However, the noise is there regardless of whether the Pano is open or closed.

Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Great idea. Thank you!

I'm curious - did someone talk you into buying the car - a friend or relative? It just seems you're ready to give up on the car very quickly to me, so maybe it wasn't your idea to buy it in the first place?

The reason I'm asking is - if all the body panels fell off my car I'd still drive it. I'd complain to Tesla, but I'd still drive it. Most people who buy this car are avid EV fans, or anti-oil, or whatever, but very few who buy it aren't passionate about it. You don't appear to be in the same club, so its strange to me.

Last edited:

Were you driving with the key in your briefcase? Odd that it would allow you to drive the car, but not detect that the key was still inside. Did you put the key in the briefcase after driving, or possibly place the briefcase on the floor after driving? If the car can no longer detect the key, your butt isn't in the front seat, and you close the door, it's going to close up and lock.

I don't think it's that unusual. In my situation:
1) I take the garbage out by going through a side door off the garage, for which I need my keys. When I walk by the car, the handles present.
2) I often get the mail right after getting home, with keys still in my pocket. Handles present when walking by.
3) I often do small chores or play with my kids after we get home. I don't take my keys out of my pocket until we actually go inside. Every time I walk by the car, the handles present.
4) my wife keeps her key in her purse. When she goes to her car, the tesla's handles present.

Thanks. The key (excuse the pun) in the confusion was that some keep their key on their person outside of to/from the car and I didn't realize that was somewhat common. I do all the above as well, but not with my key unless I was on my way to/from the car (typically the mail when that happens for me). But then I'm not concerned about the handles extending as that is the exception, not the rule, for me.