Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Starting to regret getting Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The beauty of the Tesla is that you were still able to unlock it remotely! In the old days, you would have needed a coat hangar, or a locksmith to accomplish that-- both considerably more difficult than a phone call.

Decades ago, on a freezing night in NYC, my wife and I drove downtown to see a play and parked our Ford Taurus on the street. When the play ended and we tried to access the car I realized that we had locked the keys in the car. We froze our butts off waiting for triple A to help us. Did we blame the car? No, as it was quite clear that the human in control -- me -- was the fool.

If the car was a Tesla I would have been able to immediately unlock it with my phone (if I hadn't locked the phone in the car with the keys):)

I picked up my new Model S 4 days ago and I'm already starting to regret the purchase. To start, the car came with a horrendously loud constant popping/creaking noise from somewhere around the top of the windshield. But the big issue occured today. I parked the car and got out to walk around it to the passenger side. While I was walking around, the car locked itself with my keys, cell phone, and everything else still in it. Thankfully I was able to find a phone to call home. My wife used my iPad to remotely unlocked the car. But I'm left very angry that something this idiotic can happen on a $100K car. Wish there was a return guarantee...

I find it strange that the "big issue" is the keys locked inside and not the creaking. Still, there must be other issues that make you regret your purchase other than these two things? Or is it only these two?

Sometimes, buying a car could be an emotional exercise. I can understand the OP's reaction on the two issues for a $100k car. The expectation varies from person to person, so if it does not meet his expectation of reliability and quality of finish, it will be his choice to dispose of the car with as small a loss as possible. On the other hand by posting on this forum, I guess he is seeking advice from the members. Advice has been given, so let us wish him the best.

I'm sure it was locked if his wife unlocked it from the app. I once left my fob in my car in a friend's driveway. When I returned the handles were in, and I thought I was locked out. Luckily I had my phone, so I opened the app, but it said the car was unlocked. I'm on an Android phone, but I'd imagine the iPad app would also show an unlocked car as being unlocked.

With that said, I can't see why this angers you so much. I understand being angry in the moment, but now that you know that you can disable "auto-lock" so this will never happen again, why does this bother you?

The noises suck, and have been a complaint for many customers since the beginning. I've been luck to have avoided that problem on my S. You'll have to work with your SC to fix those issues, which I'm sure will be a trying experience.

I wonder if anyone has gotten/sent for their second key in similar situations?

After reading the original post, I was expecting a rather disrespectful series of rants rather than reasoned, helpful responses. You guys are cleaning up your acts. :)

Hey now. Give us a chance:)

Wish the OP a speedy soliton to this issue as well. It's a great car so hopefully these small bumps early on ownership are soon forgotten.

I'm curious - did someone talk you into buying the car - a friend or relative? It just seems you're ready to give up on the car very quickly to me, so maybe it wasn't your idea to buy it in the first place?

The reason I'm asking is - if all the body panels fell off my car I'd still drive it. I'd complain to Tesla, but I'd still drive it. Most people who buy this car are avid EV fans, or anti-oil, or whatever, but very few who buy it aren't passionate about it. You don't appear to be in the same club, so its strange to me.

At this time, most if not all, Tesla owners can be classified as early adopters, thus willing to give a pass re quirks/defects like these. Tesla, as a company, is on the threshold of, or at least showing an ambition of, crossing into mainstream realm. The general buying public will not accept situations like this, especially at this price level.

Last edited:
There are dead-spots within the car where it doesn't see the key. From personal experience, the key fob that was left above/behind the steering wheel (where the dashboard readout is) wasn't recognized and my car locked itself. I had my iPhone though and used the Tesla app to remotely unlock.

As most of you understood, I wasn't really planning to return the car. Just venting the frustration. The car is at the service center that will hopefully repair the creaking. The tech who rode with me in the car heard it loud and clear.

i will then disable auto locking feature and will hopefully continue to enjoy this otherwise awesome car. I still can't believe I have a car payment that is as high as some people's mortgage payments. This has been something that has been weighing on me since I placed the order, so these issues are causing greater aggravation than if I experienced them in my previous $50K Lexus.

As most of you understood, I wasn't really planning to return the car. Just venting the frustration. The car is at the service center that will hopefully repair the creaking. The tech who rode with me in the car heard it loud and clear.

i will then disable auto locking feature and will hopefully continue to enjoy this otherwise awesome car. I still can't believe I have a car payment that is as high as some people's mortgage payments. This has been something that has been weighing on me since I placed the order, so these issues are causing greater aggravation than if I experienced them in my previous $50K Lexus.

I bet you'll enjoy your car!

I still can't believe I have a car payment that is as high as some people's mortgage payments. This has been something that has been weighing on me since I placed the order, so these issues are causing greater aggravation than if I experienced them in my previous $50K Lexus.

The payments on my S are greater than my mortgage payments. Trust me, I notice it when balancing my checkbook.

As most of you understood, I wasn't really planning to return the car. Just venting the frustration. The car is at the service center that will hopefully repair the creaking. The tech who rode with me in the car heard it loud and clear. i will then disable auto locking feature and will hopefully continue to enjoy this otherwise awesome car. I still can't believe I have a car payment that is as high as some people's mortgage payments. This has been something that has been weighing on me since I placed the order, so these issues are causing greater aggravation than if I experienced them in my previous $50K Lexus.
You are welcome to stay:biggrin:. So far, in my 4 months with the forum, I still have to see someone return their Tesla. Many do trade up. If you do not have auto lock before, it make sense to keep auto-lock disabled. Since I am forgetful, I have my auto-lock enabled, but always have the key in my left pocket.

A tip for you: Your local service tech is as important to you as your dentist.:wink: