Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Starting to regret my purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are around 15 M3 in my office parking lot, all bought in the last 2 to 18 months. I speak to the owners a lot. I don't see any cosmetic issues, nor have the owners have had any reliability issues. None. And I see atleast a dozen cars everyday on my commute. And I have also attended a few owners meet in the last few months, where I get to speak to over 30+ M3 owners. I never got the 'crap' vibe that some of you have expressed here.

While some in this forum and elsewhere have genuine issues like the OP with drive train errors, I now suspect most of the cosmetic issues I see on news reports and social media are exaggerated. And the effect of the social media posts in twitter and FB that highlights so called issues, are aimed to shame Tesla and scare new buyers, which are amplified by the people who want Tesla to fail.

I am not saying the issues highlighted in this thread are not genuine. I am sure they are. But want to provide a semblance of balance when we see posts like "75% crap", or some vague visual observations from one year ago.

It's my opinion that they are getting more and more rare. As Tesla ramps up, the cars are getting better. I've got a 2019 Model 3 and I'm generally really happy with the car overall. The order and delivery process are good, but I can see how trying to get anything done about issues during the delivery process could be near impossible. Tesla as a company is really rocky with customer service and QC, but the car itself is really great. Go test drive and look at one, touch and feel it.

I just wish I would have gone for the Performance model rather than the SR+.
There are around 15 M3 in my office parking lot, all bought in the last 2 to 18 months. I speak to the owners a lot. I don't see any cosmetic issues, nor have the owners have had any reliability issues. None. And I see atleast a dozen cars everyday on my commute. And I have also attended a few owners meet in the last few months, where I get to speak to over 30+ M3 owners. I never got the 'crap' vibe that some of you have expressed here.

While some in this forum and elsewhere have genuine issues like the OP with drive train errors, I now suspect most of the cosmetic issues I see on news reports and social media are exaggerated. And the effect of the social media posts in twitter and FB that highlights so called issues, are aimed to shame Tesla and scare new buyers, which are amplified by the people who want Tesla to fail.

I am not saying the issues highlighted in this thread are not genuine. I am sure they are. But want to provide a semblance of balance when we see posts like "75% crap", or some vague visual observations from one year ago.

I intend to order a Tesla M3 in November.

Thanks for posts like this.

I have 3 Tesla owners in my office. Al say the same thing: "Best car I have ever driven."

They are not exaggerated. Really as i have seen hundreds model 3s with paint issues.. :(

On brand new cars.

Finnish Goods Inspection Finds Tesla Model 3 Paint Is Soft And Thin

I intend to order a Tesla M3 in November.

Thanks for posts like this.

I have 3 Tesla owners in my office. Al say the same thing: "Best car I have ever driven."

The reality is that the cars' quality is mediocre at best, at least compared to what you say you're used to, and whoever says otherwise is not being objective (and not on purpose).

The Model 3 has plenty of likable features, as you have discovered yourself. Many if not most people enjoy those features to an extent that makes them tolerant of their car's flaws and quality issues. You will hear things like "my car has been perfect, except for A, B and ... , but I don't care abut those anyway because ...". That's the heart talking, not the analytical brain. Depending on where you find yourself on this emotional/practical spectrum, you will either love or despise Tesla ownership.

If you're the kind that tolerates various "niggles", which may be as simple as a creaking dashboard or as "simple" as a clunking/loose suspension that is "within specification", then you'll love it. If you tend to be bothered by things that don't work properly and appreciate things built to a higher quality standard, then you'll have a miserable ownership. Furthermore, if you don't need too much contact with Service, your ownership experience will be vastly better than in a situation where you do.

You're in California, so you probably have more options than those elsewhere in the country. Do this:

1. Rent one for a week and drive the crap out of it. Drive it to work, to the grocery store and anywhere else you typically go (do a PCH run while you're at it, if you care about handling at all). Hit a few potholes, go over speed bumps and listen for anything that may sound abnormal. Forget about the fast acceleration and focus on everything else. Try not to let the things known to be enjoyable and thrilling detract from thoroughly analyzing the rest. If you decide that you like it, after that full week of driving, move on to step 2.

2. Find a local car you like, a showroom demo or one in local inventory. Pull a list of the known issues (there are plenty of systemic ones, well documented on this forum) and inspect the car in detail. Compare to other cars on the lot/floor and decide if you can live with what you find. Don't count on things being repaired after the fact. Sometimes they will, many times they won't or will be made worse by the SC.
Refrain from buying a made-to-order car that you will only see at delivery. The environment you'll be in (for instance the crap lighting in delivery rooms), the time pressure and the excitement will not allow you to inspect it properly. They're counting on that.

The above should hopefully minimize your later interaction with Service, which will vastly increase your chances of happy ownership.

Or, if you just love it, based on your experience so far, then forget everything I just said and go get one today.

Well said and my experiences almost exactly. Funny the same guy thumbs downing you for an observation is the same guy thumbs downing me. Apparently you can only bash Tesla and not say any honest experiences if positive.

If you're the kind that tolerates various "niggles", which may be as simple as a creaking dashboard or as "simple" as a clunking/loose suspension that is "within specification", then you'll love it.

These are not niggles. These are defects that impact driving experience that need to be fixed. By categorizing them as niggles, you make it sound as if these are very common and the fanbois tolerate them, or rather most people who say they love their car have these kind of issues, and these are part and parcel of owning a Tesla. Far from it.

A niggle is something like bluetooth issues around your phone key, a scratch on the underside of the bumper that can seen in a magnifying glass, etc..

If you tend to be bothered by things that don't work properly and appreciate things built to a higher quality standard, then you'll have a miserable ownership

Pretty insulting for those that say their cars are fantastic, cleverly worded to mean that things are expected to fall apart and if a Tesla is perfect, that is an exception.

I noticed that many of your posts have a similar, 'Teslas are crap' tone to it. Do you have an agenda?

I am curious. What keys did they give you on delivery? It may be semantics but Model 3 does not have keys, it has a keyless smartphone entry and also backup contact devices that are 'credit card like'.

My Model 3 has been flawless from delivery a year ago until now.

As mentioned above there are lemon laws and it sounds like this one could be a lemon. If I went through all that the op has gone through, I would be pursuing them. Every manufacturer produces some lemons. Get them to buy it back and get another one...

I'm curious if anyone else out there has had a lot of issues in a short time or if I drew the short straw?
I purchased my 3 AWD exactly 1 month ago to the day. I arrived at the delivery center barely containing my excitement. I signed the paperwork, they handed me the keys and said bye bye...I had to ask them to go over the bare minimum since I'd never sat in a 3 before. I notice several white circles around paint defects. I point this out to the delivery person and their solution is to wipe them off. I didn't have a chance to take a picture before they did that. To say the least, my delivery experience was not great. I'm still super excite to finally have a Tesla.

Day 1 - I discovered that the microphone on my new car wasn't working. I tried calling the service center but they didn't answer and their voicemail box was full.
Day 2 - I give the car a very close inspection to document all the paint issues to determine if I'm going to keep the vehicle or return it within the 7 days. I discover several more paint issues, a bump-out on the rear bumper and the window seals are wrinkled. I set up a service appt. via the mobile app to address some of these because I cannot get a hold of the service center.
Day 3 - The microphone starts working.
Day 4 - I have a front motor disabled, reduced power message appear. I tried calling the service center again with the same result. This message went away after a few hours of not driving. I assume it was just a bug.
Day 5 - I end up calling the national sales number because I can't get a hold of my local sales person. I have to decide in the next 24-36 hours if I'm keeping the car and that depends on if they agree to fix the paint issues.
Day 6 - I get assurance that they will fix the paint issues so I decide to keep the vehicle.
Day 7 - Discover that the Sentry Cam feature isn't working on my vehicle. Writing files that cannot be opened.
Day 10 - Service tech comes, fixes window seals, does software update and tells me Sentry Cam is working. I test it out later that day and it's not working. I've been searching this forum and have purchased 3 different flash drives in an effort to get it functioning.
Day 15ish- autopilot randomly keeps disengaging anytime there is a shadow on the road. Did not previously do this.
Day 20 - I follow up with the sales person that assured me that they would fix my paint. They say that it is still about 30 days out before an appointment opens up.
Day 28- Driving 75 mph on the highway in autopilot, the car drops out of auto pilot and give me a rear motor is disabled, power reduced. I'm in the fast lane and cannot go over 50 mph now. I limp home going 45-50 on the highway. Call service center and for the first time ever someone answers. I tell him the issue and he says that if it doesn't go away by the morning I can bring it in on Friday (3 days away). I test it every few hours and am getting the same result. I decide that I will just have to tough it out on my 40 mi commute for the next 3 days.
Day 29- Try to leave for work at 6:45 and I have a new message when I try to put the car into reverse... Car Disabled, pull vehicle over. I call the mobile service and they dispatch a tow truck. 3 hours later it arrives and my car get taken too the service center. I'm told that they won't have a loaner for a few days but they will provide Uber credit until then. I get a call 2 hours later saying that they have loaner for me. I go to pick up the loaner and find out that it could be several weeks before they can replace the rear motor.
Day 30- I realize that I have driven 2087 miles and had a lot of issues. Start questioning if I've made a huge mistake. - End Rant

tl;dr - I've had the car for less than a month, lots of small issues until yesterday when my motor went out.
All I can say is me too!! It sucks so bad because the car is so good and bad at the same time. It’s took me 3 months and 3k miles but I think I have finally got things sorted out through Tesla service Littleton. Was on the brink of going down lemon law lane...that you should absolutely do if can’t get it right.

Compared to all the other cars I’ve had, my m3pd has the worst fit and finish ever, but have never enjoyed a car more...Porsche 911 was close but still 2nd. I’m getting used to being thrilled and annoyed at same time. The price of being an industry disrupter I rationalize.

By the way, on the self driving stuff, I have my expectation bar very low. I call it cruise control on steroids but certainly no better than that.

That and 0-60 in 3.2!!! All smiles.

Good luck!!!

The reality is that the cars' quality is mediocre at best, at least compared to what you say you're used to, and whoever says otherwise is not being objective (and not on purpose).

The Model 3 has plenty of likable features, as you have discovered yourself. Many if not most people enjoy those features to an extent that makes them tolerant of their car's flaws and quality issues. You will hear things like "my car has been perfect, except for A, B and ... , but I don't care abut those anyway because ...". That's the heart talking, not the analytical brain. Depending on where you find yourself on this emotional/practical spectrum, you will either love or despise Tesla ownership.

If you're the kind that tolerates various "niggles", which may be as simple as a creaking dashboard or as "simple" as a clunking/loose suspension that is "within specification", then you'll love it. If you tend to be bothered by things that don't work properly and appreciate things built to a higher quality standard, then you'll have a miserable ownership. Furthermore, if you don't need too much contact with Service, your ownership experience will be vastly better than in a situation where you do.

You're in California, so you probably have more options than those elsewhere in the country. Do this:

1. Rent one for a week and drive the crap out of it. Drive it to work, to the grocery store and anywhere else you typically go (do a PCH run while you're at it, if you care about handling at all). Hit a few potholes, go over speed bumps and listen for anything that may sound abnormal. Forget about the fast acceleration and focus on everything else. Try not to let the things known to be enjoyable and thrilling detract from thoroughly analyzing the rest. If you decide that you like it, after that full week of driving, move on to step 2.

2. Find a local car you like, a showroom demo or one in local inventory. Pull a list of the known issues (there are plenty of systemic ones, well documented on this forum) and inspect the car in detail. Compare to other cars on the lot/floor and decide if you can live with what you find. Don't count on things being repaired after the fact. Sometimes they will, many times they won't or will be made worse by the SC.
Refrain from buying a made-to-order car that you will only see at delivery. The environment you'll be in (for instance the crap lighting in delivery rooms), the time pressure and the excitement will not allow you to inspect it properly. They're counting on that.

The above should hopefully minimize your later interaction with Service, which will vastly increase your chances of happy ownership.

Or, if you just love it, based on your experience so far, then forget everything I just said and go get one today.

Oops, while intended for Petrocelli, my comments above were posted in the wrong thread.

These are not niggles. These are defects that impact driving experience that need to be fixed. By categorizing them as niggles, you make it sound as if these are very common and the fanbois tolerate them, or rather most people ...

That was precisely my point. They are not niggles but they are treated by Tesla Service as such, with the expectation that the customer is sufficiently ignorant to not know better or otherwise with their attitude and actions they attempt to bully the customer into dropping the requests and walk away with unresolved issues.

Pretty insulting for those that say their cars are fantastic, cleverly worded to mean that things are expected to fall apart and if a Tesla is perfect, that is an exception.

Well, after half a year of continuous quality and Service catastrophes, during which time I observed and tested a lot of other similar vehicles (and took mine apart myself on a couple of occasions) only to find the same issues on almost every one of them, yes, I fully expect a bunch of things to fall apart, sometimes right from the start.

I made no comment about “those that say their cars are fantastic”, because they actually are fantastic. My comments pointed out that the “fantastic” part may obscure the “crap quality” part and some tolerate that better than others.

I noticed that many of your posts have a similar, 'Teslas are crap' tone to it. Do you have an agenda?

Again, I don’t consider Teslas to be crap at all, but I do believe some of them, especially the Model 3, to be of crap quality.

As for “my agenda”, that should be bloody obvious by now: I’m a Texas shill, paid by Big Oil to hang here and bash Tesla. After enough bashing, I took my Big Oil earnings, bought a Tesla and proceeded to the Service Center where I naively presumed they serviced Teslas. I turns out I was incorrect, that’s where they tell you that you’re full of *sugar* and that your expectation that the door be able to close properly is unrealistic with Tesla. So I went back to bashing on behalf of Big Oil. With yet more earnings from this activity, together with the money Tesla gave me back when they saw my stack of documentation, I proceeded to follow my anti-EV bias and bought an e-Tron, which I was planning to drive until enough heretics like me manage to annoy Tesla to the point where they’ll make and sell me a car that works properly and is actually serviceable. Shady stuff, I know!

Last edited:
I either have an excellent paint job on my early VIN LR RWD, or I don't know how to tell the difference between an excellent job and a sh*tty one. Back in the early days, it was the panel gaps that was under scrutiny, rather than the paint. However I did scour my paint for obvious defects and, aside from some scratches on the rear bumper caused during delivery, I saw nothing worth having service correct.

Maybe the paint has gotten thinner for the recent builds. Seeing people with sandblasted side skirts was eye-opening. That definitely doesn't seem normal for <1yr of wear. I also live in sand/salt climes and have gone through 2 winters, but have zero issues with that. Clear coat is still intact and glossy everywhere.

I also live in sand/salt climes and have gone through 2 winters, but have zero issues with that. Clear coat is still intact and glossy everywhere.

That is my point. I hardly see any M3s either built 18 months ago or now with cosmetic issues that would make you scream at the top of your lungs as "crap", as some of the folks have done here. It is definitely possible the Finland batch had a problem. But trying to extrapolate that as, "Tesla paint is a piece of tihs" is not doing justice, unless your agenda is to scare people, to the extent that encourages everyone go to the delivery center with a magnifying glass.

.. because ... you can get really good at what your practice :)

Reactions: Joshan
It sucks but that's life... Murphy's law.

Not all cars are perfect since we as human are not perfect; therefore, issues like these are bound to happen from time to time.

Quality Control is based by a sample from a batch which pretty much applies to all companies, OP just happened to draw the short straw.

Just take it for them team and move forward =)

Reactions: Fossil Fool
It sucks but that's life... Murphy's law.

Not all cars are perfect since we as human are not perfect; therefore, issues like these are bound to happen from time to time.

Quality Control is based by a sample from a batch which pretty much applies to all companies, OP just happened to draw the short straw.

Just take it for them team and move forward =)
Yep, buy a Tesla, fifty fifty chance you'll get a jewel. Other times you'll get a lemon. Only those with jewels can speak up. The rest are just the price to pay for sustainable transport. Pay up baby! We got rockets goin' for mars! Who's with me?

That is my point. I hardly see any M3s either built 18 months ago or now with cosmetic issues that would make you scream at the top of your lungs as "crap", as some of the folks have done here. It is definitely possible the Finland batch had a problem. But trying to extrapolate that as, "Tesla paint is a piece of tihs" is not doing justice, unless your agenda is to scare people, to the extent that encourages everyone go to the delivery center with a magnifying glass.

.. because ... you can get really good at what your practice :)

You seen this thread ? It did not start from Finland... :(

Model 3 paint wearing off

Yep, buy a Tesla, fifty fifty chance you'll get a jewel. Other times you'll get a lemon. Only those with jewels can speak up. The rest are just the price to pay for sustainable transport. Pay up baby! We got rockets goin' for mars! Who's with me?

I'm not quite sure if your math is right... perhaps stats are not your forte but out of the 500k+ Teslas and 300k+ Model 3s? out in the wild, doubt half of them are actually with issues.

Then again, that also happens on other manufacturers but you get it as recalls and such.