Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Starting to regret my purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious if anyone else out there has had a lot of issues in a short time or if I drew the short straw?
I purchased my 3 AWD exactly 1 month ago to the day. I arrived at the delivery center barely containing my excitement. I signed the paperwork, they handed me the keys and said bye bye...I had to ask them to go over the bare minimum since I'd never sat in a 3 before. I notice several white circles around paint defects. I point this out to the delivery person and their solution is to wipe them off. I didn't have a chance to take a picture before they did that. To say the least, my delivery experience was not great. I'm still super excite to finally have a Tesla.

Day 1 - I discovered that the microphone on my new car wasn't working. I tried calling the service center but they didn't answer and their voicemail box was full.
Day 2 - I give the car a very close inspection to document all the paint issues to determine if I'm going to keep the vehicle or return it within the 7 days. I discover several more paint issues, a bump-out on the rear bumper and the window seals are wrinkled. I set up a service appt. via the mobile app to address some of these because I cannot get a hold of the service center.
Day 3 - The microphone starts working.
Day 4 - I have a front motor disabled, reduced power message appear. I tried calling the service center again with the same result. This message went away after a few hours of not driving. I assume it was just a bug.
Day 5 - I end up calling the national sales number because I can't get a hold of my local sales person. I have to decide in the next 24-36 hours if I'm keeping the car and that depends on if they agree to fix the paint issues.
Day 6 - I get assurance that they will fix the paint issues so I decide to keep the vehicle.
Day 7 - Discover that the Sentry Cam feature isn't working on my vehicle. Writing files that cannot be opened.
Day 10 - Service tech comes, fixes window seals, does software update and tells me Sentry Cam is working. I test it out later that day and it's not working. I've been searching this forum and have purchased 3 different flash drives in an effort to get it functioning.
Day 15ish- autopilot randomly keeps disengaging anytime there is a shadow on the road. Did not previously do this.
Day 20 - I follow up with the sales person that assured me that they would fix my paint. They say that it is still about 30 days out before an appointment opens up.
Day 28- Driving 75 mph on the highway in autopilot, the car drops out of auto pilot and give me a rear motor is disabled, power reduced. I'm in the fast lane and cannot go over 50 mph now. I limp home going 45-50 on the highway. Call service center and for the first time ever someone answers. I tell him the issue and he says that if it doesn't go away by the morning I can bring it in on Friday (3 days away). I test it every few hours and am getting the same result. I decide that I will just have to tough it out on my 40 mi commute for the next 3 days.
Day 29- Try to leave for work at 6:45 and I have a new message when I try to put the car into reverse... Car Disabled, pull vehicle over. I call the mobile service and they dispatch a tow truck. 3 hours later it arrives and my car get taken too the service center. I'm told that they won't have a loaner for a few days but they will provide Uber credit until then. I get a call 2 hours later saying that they have loaner for me. I go to pick up the loaner and find out that it could be several weeks before they can replace the rear motor.
Day 30- I realize that I have driven 2087 miles and had a lot of issues. Start questioning if I've made a huge mistake. - End Rant

tl;dr - I've had the car for less than a month, lots of small issues until yesterday when my motor went out.

Wow. That is tough to read. Sorry that you've had so many issues. I'd suggest you start making noise about your state's Lemon Law (if Colorado has one). I don't want to jinx myself, but my car has been working perfectly since the day I got it. I'd be hopping mad if I'd had half the problems you've had. Good luck and let us know how you resolve the situation.

Reactions: Jimmy 1
Damn man. Sorry to hear all of that . After front motor disabling no day 4 I would have returned for refund , especially if you're not happy with multiple paint and microphone issues already.

More terrible customer service stories. This is what's making me wait 2 years or so till I purchase. By then other manufacturers should have serious alternatives out. I hope they take care of you in the end!

I'm also in CO and picked up a month before you. I too had to prompt them to go over anything at delivery, but otherwise went smoothly. I had a couple of small cosmetic issues (two of which they fixed right away, the third a week ago via mobile service). My UMC died after about two weeks, but once I got in touch with the parts department, I had a replacement in 24 hours. Otherwise, I haven't had any issues.

It sucks that you've had so much trouble. With all the state incentive to buy so high, I really hope they are expediting opening additional service centers in CO. It's clear there's too much demand for the two they have.

One note on the SentryCam. You should make sure you stop the USB drive by pressing and holding the camera button before pulling the drive. That happened to me the first few times I tried to check footage and all my files were empty. Now, I haven't had any issues.

Question on the delivery process. Is there a way to go through some sort of quick but thorough checklist when picking up the car and have it in writing from them that they will fix the issues. Is a drive test possible before signing and picking up the car on Day1?

Reactions: AW9nineteen
I'm also in CO and picked up a month before you. I too had to prompt them to go over anything at delivery, but otherwise went smoothly. I had a couple of small cosmetic issues (two of which they fixed right away, the third a week ago via mobile service). My UMC died after about two weeks, but once I got in touch with the parts department, I had a replacement in 24 hours. Otherwise, I haven't had any issues.

It sucks that you've had so much trouble. With all the state incentive to buy so high, I really hope they are expediting opening additional service centers in CO. It's clear there's too much demand for the two they have.

One note on the SentryCam. You should make sure you stop the USB drive by pressing and holding the camera button before pulling the drive. That happened to me the first few times I tried to check footage and all my files were empty. Now, I haven't had any issues.

Thanks for the advise on the SentryCam. My files aren't empty, they just can't be opened with any mp4 player. I tried holding the camera button and nothing happens.

Wow, so sorry to read your wall of problems. I think you might have drawn the black marble/short straw as I've had my LR AWD about a month as well (6/24 delivery) and have had zero issues, including flawless paint. If I may ask, why didn't you return it on DAY 7 and order another?

M3 w ceramic.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Vegas
Question on the delivery process. Is there a way to go through some sort of quick but thorough checklist when picking up the car and have it in writing from them that they will fix the issues. Is a drive test possible before signing and picking up the car on Day1?
There are a few on the forums if you search for checklist. I reviewed them before my delivery and it was helpful.

Thanks for the advise on the SentryCam. My files aren't empty, they just can't be opened with any mp4 player. I tried holding the camera button and nothing happens.
Well, that's what I should have said. Mine weren't empty, it showed the files, but they were all 0KB and wouldn't play. The camera should grey out and if your USB has a LED indicator, it should turn off when you hold the camera button.

I also had an issue getting them to play on one machine, but they worked fine on my laptop. My issue might have been a problem with my version of Windows Media Player on the first machine, but I didn't really dig into it once I got them to play.

Wow, so sorry to read your wall of problems. I think you might have drawn the black marble/short straw as I've had my LR AWD about a month as well (6/24 delivery) and have had zero issues, including flawless paint. If I may ask, why didn't you return it on DAY 7 and order another?

View attachment 431278
I would have missed the cutoff to receive the federal EV credit. I was still very happy with the performance of the car and they assured me that things would be fixed. In hindsight I should have returned it... and got the performance.

Reactions: r1200gs4ok
sounds exactly like me

picked up on 6/29 during end of q2 release so everyone was running around
noticed paint spots at pickup, delivery guy said bring it in anytime in july well take care of it
got the disabled front engine witin 30 hours of ownership
gashes in my white seats
took it to service for the paint, resitsed doing the work at fdirst, had to get the ca on the phone to honor it
paint defects still pending
made an appointment for my seats and got the "we inspect every vehicle upon delivery" - oh really? howd you miss the paint spots then?!

the car is awesome. tesla customer cs sucks an entire bag of dicks

I've noticed the the microphone doesn't work sometimes, but that always seems to be during times of poor network connectivity. Pretty sure the voice commands are all processed online.
That's an interesting observation. I will have to see when it happens next if I have poor cell service. They definitely need to put more work into their voice recognition. It is about on par with Chevy in 2013.

I would have missed the cutoff to receive the federal EV credit. I was still very happy with the performance of the car and they assured me that things would be fixed. In hindsight I should have returned it... and got the performance.

Yeah, especially today as the performance now is pretty close to what we paid for the AWD a month ago. I'm sure they will fix you up and he SC and a month from now all of these minor issues will have been forgotten!

View attachment 431278
im not op but in the same position:

i was assured that the issues would be addressed: im not going to return a car for a few paint spolotches thwat can easily be buffed out. The front motor failure was worrying but went away and i havent had any issue with it since as tesla told me it mustve been a bug

all in all, i could be anal or my expectations may be too high but my experience with tesla so far has been "weve already got our money, **** you"

Wow. I am speechless on this one. If there is a worse problem delivery, I haven't seen it yet. I wonder if any of this is due to a "end of quarter, get it out the door" issue.

Oh and to add, my experience is irrelevant now because it has been so long since I have had my car, but for what it is worth, my chicken wing version of the Tesla is still running perfect after 3 years.