Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Starting to regret my purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oddly enough, I have the exact same "bump out" flaw on my rear bumper, in the same place. I decided not to really care about it, as nobody knows it's there but me, and I've done much more terrible things to my car's paint since then. I haven't see anyone else with that flaw, but it just seemed strange to have it in the same spot.

Reactions: ZapZap
I was very very lucky. My car is a July 2018 production Hell build, probably has electric tape for some issues, and was probably built in the tent. All of that notwithstanding it has been relatively trouble free with no issues at delivery. I’m really sorry for all your issues. When buying a Tesla we are confronted with so many ifs. What about my trade if I reject my car? Will they really take care of all my issues after delivery? What if I’m not satisfied after the 7 day return window? I hope you get satisfied with your car in the end.

I took delivery of a Model 3 AWD June 20th. My passenger door rubs against the fender when opened and now the paint is chipped along the edge of the door. The front doors don't close properly you have to throw it very forcefully, microphone for me is intermittent too, there's an issue where the brake pedal clicks from time to time, glove box isn't aligned properly, among other things. I had an appointment last week and couldn't make it, now I have to wait another 2 weeks and if it needs to be left, they couldn't even promise me a loaner. Very disappointed that we spend 50k+ on a brand new vehicle and have so many problems. It's almost like they just threw them together to make quota.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Wowza, sorry to read you had such bad experience. I got my LR RWD a year ago and have had 0 problems with it. I broke one of my sun visors cleaning the car but had it replaced.
now a rock hit my roof and I need a new roof, @$%$ rocks flying on the FWY.
I would suggest that when you have issues with the car not to call the service center and rather use the contact tesla icon you your car screen. let them channel you to the right center you need. also use the app to schedule the service.

This sort of unusual and somewhat unrelated glitches make me think "electrical gremlin", a loose electrical connection.

I'm due to pick up my first Tesla, a P3, next Thursday. If it has problems like this right off the bat, I'm returning it. You can spend a lot of time chasing down gremlins like this.

I'm curious if anyone else out there has had a lot of issues in a short time or if I drew the short straw?
I purchased my 3 AWD exactly 1 month ago to the day. I arrived at the delivery center barely containing my excitement. I signed the paperwork, they handed me the keys and said bye bye...I had to ask them to go over the bare minimum since I'd never sat in a 3 before. I notice several white circles around paint defects. I point this out to the delivery person and their solution is to wipe them off. I didn't have a chance to take a picture before they did that. To say the least, my delivery experience was not great. I'm still super excite to finally have a Tesla.

Day 1 - I discovered that the microphone on my new car wasn't working. I tried calling the service center but they didn't answer and their voicemail box was full.
Day 2 - I give the car a very close inspection to document all the paint issues to determine if I'm going to keep the vehicle or return it within the 7 days. I discover several more paint issues, a bump-out on the rear bumper and the window seals are wrinkled. I set up a service appt. via the mobile app to address some of these because I cannot get a hold of the service center.
Day 3 - The microphone starts working.
Day 4 - I have a front motor disabled, reduced power message appear. I tried calling the service center again with the same result. This message went away after a few hours of not driving. I assume it was just a bug.
Day 5 - I end up calling the national sales number because I can't get a hold of my local sales person. I have to decide in the next 24-36 hours if I'm keeping the car and that depends on if they agree to fix the paint issues.
Day 6 - I get assurance that they will fix the paint issues so I decide to keep the vehicle.
Day 7 - Discover that the Sentry Cam feature isn't working on my vehicle. Writing files that cannot be opened.
Day 10 - Service tech comes, fixes window seals, does software update and tells me Sentry Cam is working. I test it out later that day and it's not working. I've been searching this forum and have purchased 3 different flash drives in an effort to get it functioning.
Day 15ish- autopilot randomly keeps disengaging anytime there is a shadow on the road. Did not previously do this.
Day 20 - I follow up with the sales person that assured me that they would fix my paint. They say that it is still about 30 days out before an appointment opens up.
Day 28- Driving 75 mph on the highway in autopilot, the car drops out of auto pilot and give me a rear motor is disabled, power reduced. I'm in the fast lane and cannot go over 50 mph now. I limp home going 45-50 on the highway. Call service center and for the first time ever someone answers. I tell him the issue and he says that if it doesn't go away by the morning I can bring it in on Friday (3 days away). I test it every few hours and am getting the same result. I decide that I will just have to tough it out on my 40 mi commute for the next 3 days.
Day 29- Try to leave for work at 6:45 and I have a new message when I try to put the car into reverse... Car Disabled, pull vehicle over. I call the mobile service and they dispatch a tow truck. 3 hours later it arrives and my car get taken too the service center. I'm told that they won't have a loaner for a few days but they will provide Uber credit until then. I get a call 2 hours later saying that they have loaner for me. I go to pick up the loaner and find out that it could be several weeks before they can replace the rear motor.
Day 30- I realize that I have driven 2087 miles and had a lot of issues. Start questioning if I've made a huge mistake. - End Rant

tl;dr - I've had the car for less than a month, lots of small issues until yesterday when my motor went out.

Quick update - My model 3 has been at the service center for 1 week now. On Monday they said that it would be ready for pick up Tuesday morning. I got a call late Monday evening saying that it would be a few more days. I went into the shop this morning (Wednesday) to retrieve a few things that I didn't expect to go without for more than a few days. I was able to get a few more details out of the service tech. They installed a new rear drive unit and it was still "throwing codes". It appears that they are going to put in another new rear drive unit. He told me to "get comfy" with my loaner vehicle. I had been enjoying a Gen2 S P85D as a loaner, however I ended up trading it out for a regular S. The driver seat on the P85D would move an inch if I accelerated or braked to hard and it felt rather unsafe.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Thanks for the advise on the SentryCam. My files aren't empty, they just can't be opened with any mp4 player. I tried holding the camera button and nothing happens.
I didn't read through the whole post, but HW3 uses HEVC h265. You need a newer computer or complaint video card to process that codec. Most modern phones can do it, but my old laptop cannot, so I needed to upgrade my laptop.

Guide to HEVC/H.265 Encoding and Playback

• Informative
Reactions: Common_Loon
Really sorry to hear about this. I do think it’s possible that for a period of time they were so rushed they were slapping them together any way they could. I also think that was the exception, but it does seem clear that once you need customer service from Tesla, you’re screwed.

Best of luck.

Wow, that's unfortunate. My only defect was/is a 1" scratch in the
roof glass, above the trunk, it's not endangering anything and I don't
care. The software has had bumps, but once I learned to do a full
reboot after updates, it's been just fine. Seems they pumped out
200,000 cars this year, and there are bound to be a few w/ problems.

I know how you feel, this isn't a cheap car. But the tendency is to see
everything as being connected, and it's not. You have very specific
issues with the motor/drive that they are apparently correcting. That
has nothing to do with paint or anything else. You are visualizing this
in a dark cloud that says everything is broken. It's not. Yes, they have a
minimal customer service approach, that's largely a staffing issue due
to tight margins. It's not GM where they sell so many cars, have such
flexible margins and have built up their profitable dealerships. But it
sounds like they are gradually fixing your issues. In fact the M3s are
far more advanced cars, and after they correct the problems you'll love
yours. I think that meanwhile you shouldn't develop health problems
due to stress. Try to take it as it comes by remembering that there aren't
as many things to go wrong, it's not like a gasoline car with thousands
of little valves and such. Sure, it's frustrating, but save your health.

DO stay on top of them, be a nuisance, let THEM deal with that, and
remember that the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Second Update:
After being without my new car for 27 days I got it back yesterday. They put 2 new rear motors in and also had to replace the rear subframe. Apparently the bushings were installed too deep into the sub frame. I was running late to get to my kids school so I got out of the service center without fully inspecting the car. When I got home I opened the trunk to find the liner was not put back in, there is also a small door scratch that was not there before. The car was returned filthy since it had been sitting outside during monsoon season for a month. It took 2 days but I finally got in touch with the service manager. He said that they would get me in asap to spot fix my paint issues. Another service adviser called and said that they could schedule me in 3 weeks to do the paint spot fixes and I would be without a car for another 2 weeks... I said that would put me well into the 30 business day territory to qualify as a lemon car under Colorado law. As soon as I said lemon, he told me to hold on for a second. He came back a minute later and said that the service manager would call me tomorrow and discuss a buyback/exchange. He said he could not say anymore until I spoke to the service manager. Apparently using the word lemon is a trigger for them. I will update once I find out more. Also the sentry cam is still not working even though they claim it is.