Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Starting to see new Rivian Trucks in OC, CA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Past few weeks, I am starting to see Rivians on the road like customer bought ones. I think I saw 2 of them on one day, but it seems to be clear that Rivian is starting to become a car you can actually buy. Is there a showroom anywhere in the OC area?

Kind of interested in Rivian. Mainly because its interior looks more like a Lexus / Mercedes interior with more detail and the truck looks like something Ford made, it has that toy truck look like the Ford Bronco. Something I wish Tesla would consider to have more details in their interior / exteriors. I'm just wondering how public charging will work when you have to do road trips, since this Rivian looks like a car you'd take camping / snowboarding. Do non Tesla EV cars have charging routes planned and know where their version of supercharging is? And is it a little nicer to have a car that doesn't need an adapter like when you wanna use Chargepoint?

I hope Rivian has autopilot because that is one thing I really like about the Tesla, is that peace of mind that I can drive long distance at any moment without the worry of being tired to drive. If it doesn't I'll probably just stick to Tesla since I'm already used to it. But if I got a 2nd car, I'd like it to be a different car that's similar to Tesla.

I saw one last weekend in Joshua Tree--it is a nice looking truck. The owner said he had it 3 weeks already.

Attachments

• 20211126_132854.jpg
    20211126_132854.jpg
    472.8 KB · Views: 95
Reactions: tm1v2
Is there a showroom anywhere in the OC area?
Questions like that can usually be answered by going to the company website, which is this case is Rivian - Electric Adventure Vehicles

And no showrooms or service locations are listed that I can find.

Rivian just started delivering vehicles in very low volumes. They have tens of thousands of reservations to fulfill — and a 100,000 orders from Amazon for delivery vans — and are in the process of very gradually ramping up production. It is going to take the company a several years to catch up to demand, so there is really no need for Rivian to open showrooms at this time.

Reactions: jjrandorin
@JetFalcon: Rivian is doing popup events. Anyone is welcome to sign up and attend to check out the trucks for free, though I believe only reservation holders may test drive currently, and even then you need to be an early reservation holder - they invite based on reservation number/order until the slots are full. They only had the R1T (no R1S) at the event we went to.

This is a bit like the early Model S days. Tesla didn't really have many sales locations yet, they were doing test drives popup events. The Tesla popup we went to was way less formal and fancy than the Rivian popups though. :) It was all about taking the cars for a spin, and Tesla let us drive without a reservation, whereas we have a Rivian reservation and still couldn't test drive! (All the slots filled up with earlier reservation holders.) But 2021 is not 2012/2013...waaaaay more interest and belief in EVs now.

@JetFalcon: Rivian is doing popup events. Anyone is welcome to sign up and attend to check out the trucks for free, though I believe only reservation holders may test drive currently, and even then you need to be an early reservation holder - they invite based on reservation number/order until the slots are full. They only had the R1T (no R1S) at the event we went to.

This is a bit like the early Model S days. Tesla didn't really have many sales locations yet, they were doing test drives popup events. The Tesla popup we went to was way less formal and fancy than the Rivian popups though. :) It was all about taking the cars for a spin, and Tesla let us drive without a reservation, whereas we have a Rivian reservation and still couldn't test drive! (All the slots filled up with earlier reservation holders.) But 2021 is not 2012/2013...waaaaay more interest and belief in EVs now.
Is this in OC area? Or Irvine since someone said their HQ is here b/c I live nearby.

Is this in OC area? Or Irvine since someone said their HQ is here b/c I live nearby.
I believe Rivian's First Mile popup is traveling around the country, but they're not too far from you right now. If you have a serious interest in their trucks or are into EVs and/or cars in general I think it's worth a drive to check out the R1T in person. Maybe combine it with something else fun in the area!

I believe Rivian's First Mile popup is traveling around the country, but they're not too far from you right now. If you have a serious interest in their trucks or are into EVs and/or cars in general I think it's worth a drive to check out the R1T in person. Maybe combine it with something else fun in the area!

Ok I can confirm now its in Santa Clarita. I saw the website. Maybe I'll go to Six Flags or stop by some arcades. Says no test drives.

But I did finally see the Rivian HQ. My work is nearby it.

I really wish Tesla would step up their game with an actual SUV like the rivian. I have owned my model S since 2013 and have debated about an X for awhile, however thinking of putting a deposit on the R1S. X doors are too gimmicky and don't want to deal with them in a few years after warranty. I have a deposit on the CT and lightning, and both of those appear to long for my garage, I was going to order the R1T however the extra seats in the R1S will come in handy a few times a year and don't really need a truck. The reviews of Rivian are impressive and the interiors look so much better then Tesla. It will be a sad day as an early adopter I thought I will have Teslas always in the future. Yes Teslas supercharger network is the game changer, however I charge 95%+ at home and the extra range will get me to most places I need to go with a short stop at a paying charger.

I really wish Tesla would step up their game with an actual SUV like the rivian. I have owned my model S since 2013 and have debated about an X for awhile, however thinking of putting a deposit on the R1S. X doors are too gimmicky and don't want to deal with them in a few years after warranty. I have a deposit on the CT and lightning, and both of those appear to long for my garage, I was going to order the R1T however the extra seats in the R1S will come in handy a few times a year and don't really need a truck. The reviews of Rivian are impressive and the interiors look so much better then Tesla. It will be a sad day as an early adopter I thought I will have Teslas always in the future. Yes Teslas supercharger network is the game changer, however I charge 95%+ at home and the extra range will get me to most places I need to go with a short stop at a paying charger.
I also have a 2013 Model S and the X I want to replace my F-150 with the R1T and not sure if you have seen the Rivian in person but the fit and finish and build quality is amazing and well as the interior which even in a truck is far superior to either of my Tesla’s.