Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Starting up the car, put the reverse, creep mode on, and the brake does not work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmm... I immediately go to gear and go almost every time I get in the car. It even goes into gear before the dash comes all the way up at times (showing the boot logo) and I've not experienced this issue. I'll keep an eye out though.

Whoa!! You can get into gear before the dash logo spins all the way around to show speedo?! No way does my car move from the P position indicator no matter how many times I flick the gear up or down... until the car is good and ready. And only then does the parking brake release.

I WISH my car would let me do that.. because I am often feeling too hurried to wait for the song and dance of the spin.

But if that time is needed for flight pre-checks and drive readiness, and is now being skipped.. I would rather it finish its job properly... before the car starts creeping... or just plain rolling.

Maybe this is how they shaved 0.1 seconds off the 0-60 times :wink:

You know this could be a simple bug, they got the order of releasing the parking brake, or point in the drive sequence where that should happen, screwed up. And in all honesty, if that were my company.. a few people would be immediately dismissed because of that error.

Last edited:
I wanted to be sure, so I just tried on 115 software on my S classic (no autopilot stuff), and report no issue.

Car waits until dash spin to complete before gear selection allowed.
Parking brake stays engaged until gear selection is made, at which time releases.
Brakes are fully there immediately, and throughout this process. No block under the foot feeling or lack of resistance or abnormal pressure required to have desired effect of braking. Brakes available as soon as e-brake released.

For completeness, this is all with creep off. Given my results I don't think it would matter if creep was on.

UPDATE: just repeated with creep on, same results. All fine.

Last edited:
I think my two incidents of this came on version .113. I wonder if .115 fixed this. Anyone have an issue since installing .115?

Oddly, my P85D with the new brake system is still on .113, and the P85 (old brake system) is on .115... this would lead me to believe that there is no fix in either update.

Again, though, I've not experienced this. I wonder if it doesn't affect all vehicles.

Just to chime in - I had the exact same thing last week. Was on a slight downward incline, engaged reverse from P, released Footbrake and car instantly started rolling forward. Stomping on the brake didn't do anything to stop the car rolling onto a concrete low wall. Fortunately, only the black plastic lip touched (and left a slight rash).

After checking the front, everything worked as normal.

When I got home, I called Tesla straight away, who pulled the logs and got in touch with the Vancouver service centre, whom I emailed the next day with the timeline of events. Not heard back from them since their acknowledgment it was being looked into at the factory.

Glad I saw this thread - I was beginning to think I'd done something stupid like shifted into N instead (curse you, self doubt!)

hopefully 115 has fixed this, but some feedback from Tesla and maybe a new black lip would be nice......

The way it's being reported, it could be in interaction problem with creep and brakes. Or not. It could just be that creep surfaces the problem of free roll being allowed (e-brake off) and brake pedal being slow to wake up.

Someone who has experienced the issue and can recreate it should try again, but put creep OFF and park on a steep hill. See if the car rolls with brake pedal having no effect.

The fact that you must have the foot on pedal to change gears, and this having no real effect on braking power as e-brake releases... is more than a creep-only problem.
It's like having a placebo for brakes when you need brakes. The car must not disengage e-brake if pedal brakes are not ready.

- - - Updated - - -

Just to chime in - I had the exact same thing last week. Was on a slight downward incline, engaged reverse from P, released Footbrake and car instantly started rolling forward. Stomping on the brake didn't do anything to stop the car rolling onto a concrete low wall. Fortunately, only the black plastic lip touched (and left a slight rash).

After checking the front, everything worked as normal.

When I got home, I called Tesla straight away, who pulled the logs and got in touch with the Vancouver service centre, whom I emailed the next day with the timeline of events. Not heard back from them since their acknowledgment it was being looked into at the factory.

Glad I saw this thread - I was beginning to think I'd done something stupid like shifted into N instead (curse you, self doubt!)

hopefully 115 has fixed this, but some feedback from Tesla and maybe a new black lip would be nice......

thanks for chiming in, we must have posted seconds apart... needed to here this free rolling case

Whoa!! You can get into gear before the dash logo spins all the way around to show speedo?! No way does my car move from the P position indicator no matter how many times I flick the gear up or down... until the car is good and ready. And only then does the parking brake release.

This is how mine works. And if I get too aggressive, it puts up the "system initializing, press the brake pedal when this message goes away' message. As that takes a couple of minutes to clear, it's kind of a punishment for haste. (Note this has only happened a couple of times.)

I have had the P85D for over three weeks now and no issues. I use creep and have a very tight parking spot so if this brake issue happens it would not be good. I usually fiddle with radio before starting the car so maybe that gives it enough time to boot up.

The technician dropping off the loaner P85 also showed me that press and hold the parking button will engage the emergency brake... another thing to remember, besides shifting into neutral -- for emergency situations.

Cept while you're crapping your pants it's tough to remember lol

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm... I immediately go to gear and go almost every time I get in the car. It even goes into gear before the dash comes all the way up at times (showing the boot logo) and I've not experienced this issue. I'll keep an eye out though.

Guys... why the rush? Where on earth is everyone going that the 3 seconds of boot time is the make or brake :)p) of the days trip?

Also chiming in... It happened to me twice this weekend. Creep mode off. P85D delivered last month. SF Bay Area, so warm weather.

1st time: Saturday. On a downward incline. Put the car into (R)everse. Press accelerator, but nothing happens. The car rolls forward. I panic a little and press on brake, press (P)ark. It happened pretty quick, I don't remember all the things I did. After putting the car back into (P)ark, it works normally again. So I assumed it was user error (I must have put it into neutral?).

2nd time: Sunday. On a upward incline this time. Put the car into (D)rive. Press accelerator, but nothing happens. The car rolls backward. I pumped the brakes multiple times. The car stops. I put the car back into (P)ark. Then it works normally again. Can't reproduce the error, so could it be user error again?

After reading this thread, I'm pretty sure it's not user error.

I contacted Tesla.

Very interested in seeing how this is resolved. I have never been able to put my car in gear without the dash being fully booted up and it is usually just turns on and is ready the moment I open the door. I think I have only seen the dash boot screen twice and both times I had to manually restart it.

As has been asked earlier, was this a case of no boost or no brakes at all​?
Could not tell from my case. Though other folks reported that when they pressed really really hard, it slowed the car. I reacted by shifting to Neutral. But like someone else described, it felt like a block of wood was under the brake.

Very interested in seeing how this is resolved. I have never been able to put my car in gear without the dash being fully booted up and it is usually just turns on and is ready the moment I open the door. I think I have only seen the dash boot screen twice and both times I had to manually restart it.
I frequently saw the boot screen (while the music is always on instantly) - it could be a energy setting thing? or temperature related?

I got the update from service center. They replaced a component (part of the booster if I understood correctly) and will send it back to factory engineering team for further analysis - to make sure there was no manufacturing/install issue - my understanding is that this is done as a precautionary measure and diagnose, not that they found the component was faulty.
They are currently installing the .139 firmware, and is waiting final confirmation from engineering team that this is indeed the firmware that will fix the timing issue. It is clear that they realized a timing problem. They will also create a service bulletin. Since I am not a car guy, what I described here may not reflect the complete situation. Please do not take everything as 100% accurate description of what they did or will do :)

I also communicated what I learned from this thread and asked the service center to relay to the engineering team.