Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Startled by computer taking over braking [Automatic Emergency Braking]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ya'll are clowns rofl

I'm LITERALLY giving you what I've encountered.
IDGAF if you believe me or not with your logic.

Again, not logic, science.

Basic metallurgy and physics.

You don't have warped rotors, because non-defective properly installed rotors don't warp in the first place-- per sources you've been given including people who design, engineer, and sell brakes for a living that are used to stop at far far higher speeds than you're discussing.

And they certainly don't warp from a stop from 10-15 mph which would generate very little heat no matter how hard you applied them- and nowhere near the amount needed to warp iron.

Your story is not physically possible

Now, it's certainly possible you incorrectly THINK you have warped rotors, but instead have the uneven pad transfer described in the Stoptech white paper I linked to, and you obviously didn't read (or tried to and didn't understand).

But that ALSO wouldn't be caused by a single 10-15 mph stop.

That's a braking heat calculator.

Throw in a 4200 lb car, with 76lb rotors (roughly the stock model 3 rotors total weight), at 15 mph.

Increase in brake temp is... 5.3 degrees.

You're claiming you "warped" iron rotors with 5.3 degrees of heat.

Your story is not credible

Reactions: smatthew
So what you're saying is that you were driving in a way that was going to imminently collide with another car, on the assumption that they were going to move the way you expected them to
Ah no.. thats not what I said.. I had time to bring the car to a stop while watching to see what they did first. There was not any need to slam the brakes on 20 feet from the car in front of me. I was already slowing down, foot on the brake and shedding speed safely. The computer had no idea what was going on in front of car directly in front of me. The car in front had stopped and was already starting to roll forward when the computer slammed on the brakes. They were not on their phone.. I could see the driver clearly. And I wasn't assuming anything which is why my foot was on the brake and using it. I understand defensive driving pretty well living in CA with asshat drivers everywhere around me :/ The phones dont scare me as much as someone applying makeup at 70 MPH :eek:.

And yeah.. I reviewed the video after to make sure I wasn't going crazy..

Ah no.. thats not what I said.. I had time to bring the car to a stop while watching to see what they did first. There was not any need to slam the brakes on 20 feet from the car in front of me. I was already slowing down, foot on the brake and shedding speed safely. The computer had no idea what was going on in front of car directly in front of me.

FWIW, unless you're on FSD beta- yes, it did know what was going on with the car in front.

Radar-based teslas (including all Model 3s delivered before ~May 2021, with the exception of earlier cars on the FSDBeta branch) can bounce the radar under the car directly in front to see the car ahead of it... there's examples of the system avoiding accidents this way in fact.

One famous example-

This is one reason folks have been skeptical about the move to vision only- you lose this capability.

Ah no.. thats not what I said.. I had time to bring the car to a stop while watching to see what they did first. There was not any need to slam the brakes on 20 feet from the car in front of me. I was already slowing down, foot on the brake and shedding speed safely.
And yeah.. I reviewed the video after to make sure I wasn't going crazy..

Post that video, then.

I don't believe you. Your story has morphed from something like "I didn't slow down like I normally would because I could tell they were going to move" to something like "I was totally slowing down appropriately the whole time!" That's a huge change so I don't believe it. Fortunately, you say you have the video so you can post it and prove what you're saying. If you do and it shows you slowing down appropriately on your own and AEB slamming on the brakes for no reason I will apologize for doubting.

I don't believe you. Your story has morphed from something like "I didn't slow down like I normally would because I could tell they were going to move" to something like "I was totally slowing down appropriately the whole time!" That's a huge change so I don't believe it. Fortunately, you say you have the video so you can post it and prove what you're saying.

I never said I didnt slow down.. I said I wasn't slowing down fast enough for the computer to be happy about it. My foot was on the brake and pressing it when the computer engaged and depressed it much further down to slow to a virtual stop.

I'll check tonight and see if I still have video.. I normally dont clear out all he clips unless I'm bored waiting to pick up the kids at the school :)

Unfortunately AEB triggers falsely on occasion. I have experienced it several times over the years. Light colored cars that the old 2018 camera has trouble seeing (blends with the sky), tight radius multi-lane turn lanes, and even stopped traffic on steep hills where the car ignores gravity slowing the car down have all been the causes.
Yes, this just happened to me today, which is what brought me here. The emergency braking was activated suddenly today as we entered a parking garage. There was what looked like a ring/bracelet on the ground, but nothing that would cause a collision. The alarm went off and we were unexpectedly jolted to a stop.

I even reviewed the video to make sure I didn't miss something, but nope. Just a small, flat bracelet on the ground.

I turned off AEB. The last time I hit anything while driving was when I was 17. I think 40+ years later the stats say I can turn it off. I don't like the feeling of not being in control of when the brakes are applied — unless I purposefully have Auto Pilot engaged.

Reactions: DeepFrz
Still warped.
Two things here:

1. Rotors never literally warp, they *feel* warped from pad deposits building up unevenly, but warped is the term we use that is fine
2. I believe you have warped rotors, and I believe you noticed them being warped after an emergency stop, but this doesn't not necessarily imply that was the cause. It may have been something building up over time that coincidentally ended up bad enough to notice after an emergency stop.

@jackmott
Yea, after almost a year of driving that warped feeling was due to uneven pad wear.
I had a SC check it out and its basically a symptom of light brake usage, not light as in barely ever i mean light as in amount of force when actually used.
Every couple months i have to bed the brakes to get rid of it.

the deposits are another issue, one i haven't suffered yet.