Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Starts charging on it own

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently I started using the tesla on-board charging schedule, but what I found is that regardless of the time it is set to charge it will start charging within minutes of plugging it in.
When I saw this happening I stopped the charge, but I would continue charging a short time later. Using FSD Beta 10.8.1

Reactions: Gt1948
Scheduled Departure - Charging and Scheduled Charging are flaky. Suggest setting Scheduled Departure charging and preconditioning (if desired) from the Charging settings screen in the Tesla Model Y. When you set Scheduled Departure charging will complete before (usually 20 to 30 minutes prior) your Scheduled Departure time. The Tesla vehicle's battery will be warm from the charging session so this means faster preconditioning and minimizes additional energy usage. You can set a second Scheduled Departure Preconditioning time using the Tesla app (this can be a different time than the home Scheduled Departure, i.e. when you leave your workplace at the end of the day.)

Thanks, I basically work from home. So, I don't have a scheduled work departure time unless I have a job or task to do. My job comes in on a moment's notice so, the departure charging may not work for me. I'd hate to have my battery down to 10% and have to make a 60-minute drive in the middle of the night. I think I'll go back to my Juice box as it has always worked for me in the past. :)

Unless you have a TOU rate plan with peak and off-peak rate periods why not just plug in and charge immediately?

If you have any third party Tesla monitoring apps installed these can interfere with the Tesla Scheduled Charging and Scheduled Depature settings. Sometimes the only way to fix this is to change the password on your Tesla account. Any left over 3rd party app will notify you that you need to update the app settings with the new credentials. Then you can decide if you want to keep the 3rd party app.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
You can try setting up Scheduled Charging using the Tesla app and maybe that will be more reliable. There have been cases of third party apps misbehaving as far as charging. I don't use a third party app; I would not trust these apps with my Tesla credentials. I wouldn't hurt to change the password on your account see if the app notices.

My third-party charge scheduler is off. And I do get a kickback if I charge after 12midnight. :D
Those other functions of scheduled departure and preconditioning time have been giving people problems ever since Tesla introduced them. But what has been there for a very long time (at least 8 years) and has always worked perfectly is just setting a start time. It always just does exactly what it says and what it's supposed to. So if you want it to start after midnight, just set a start time for a few minutes after midnight. It doesn't have to be hard.

Reactions: outdoors
Juice box by Enel X North America, Inc does not need your car login; it runs on it own internal clock to start charging. I reconnect to Teslafi & the charging schedule still works. I’ll be adding others later to see if the scheduler misbehaves.