Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Startup difficulties

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Jason, that's spot on. The phone unlocks as normal (by proximity). I do have pin-to-drive and I have experienced the slowness of that to respond, as you described. This is quite different. To be absolutely honest, I'm not sure whether the P2D screen comes up before the message about needing the key card - I'll take note next time it happens. I'll also try a reboot. I'm so new to the Tesla that I still have to keep remembering that you might need to reboot the car!
OK. when you said it asks for the card when you put it in gear ( I think its OK to say in gear in an EV it may only have one forward and one reverse but its still a gear) I assumed that meant you did not have pin to drive since I was thinking if it was not yet activated by the phone or card it would not let you enter the pin and without the pin you can't put it in gear. If the message comes up before the P2D then that makes more sense.
I have definitely not seen this though if the proximity unlock works then mine is always enabled to drive. having one without the other is not something I have seen anyone complain about. hopefully a re-boot sorts it otherwise you will just have to treat yourself to an new phone, just in case its that.
BTW have you discovered Android NFC unlock? if the BT proximity unlock plays up you can touch the phone to the B pillar like you would with a key card and it will unlock the car. its easier than dicking around toggling BT off and on. When I do this it activates the car as well as well but if you are having activation issues touching it behind the cup holder like a key card might fix it to get you on your way and save having to get a key card out. No set up is needed for this. if you have the app and an android with NFC ( which is enabled) it should just work.

So you are saying that the phone opens the door but then does not activate the car. That is unusual. I think everyone has had issues with the phone not unlocking from time to time but once it unlocks using proximity then its fine.
If you have used the phone to unlock with the unlock button that is not the same that will work over GSM so does not prove the phone is near the car so does not necessarily activate it. but if it has proximity unlocked then that is odd.
I assume from your description you don't have pin to drive? It is not uncommon for me for the car to freeze up on entry and not let me enter the pin for what seems like forever. In reality its probably 15 seconds. if I did not have P2D and was trying to go into drive during this period maybe I would get what you a getting.
If it does this try waiting and see if it fixes itself every time after a few seconds if so it may be the same slow to wake up issue. if so try a reboot I sometimes find this helps.
I thought I was the only one who found the p2d to be sluggish! At first it was lightning fast, but now I put my pin in and it feels like forever. At times it does recognise the touch but takes a while to 'catch up' and display on the screen.

Yes, you're right, it has to be paired initially, in much the same way as a phone. After that it works as a proximity "key", in the same way as a phone, so just walking up to the car enables the doors to be unlocked and opened when the handle's pushed. Alternatively, the car can be unlocked by pressing the top of the fob, as you would with a conventional remote type one.

The fob functions are:

• Keyless/proximity locking and unlocking, much the same as a phone
  • Locking/unlocking the doors by pressing the centre "button" on the fob
  • Opening the frunk by pressing the "front" of the fob
  • Opening the boot by pressing the "rear" of the fob
  • Opening the charge port by a long press on the "rear" of the fob
Most of the time I don't use the fob buttons, but just stick it in my pocket, and use it in keyless mode. I have the car set to walk away lock, and until I got the car cover I also had it set to automatically fold the mirrors on lock, as a visual indicator that the car had really locked when walking away.
QQ, what are the advantages of using your fob as the key when you don't take it out of your pocket? I've not needed to take my phone out and use it in keyless mode to get in and leave it in my pocket too.

I contemplated the key but mainly to open the frunk. For only that purpose it didn't seem feasible. Am I missing something?

QQ, what are the advantages of using your fob as the key when you don't take it out of your pocket? I've not needed to take my phone out and use it in keyless mode to get in and leave it in my pocket too.

I contemplated the key but mainly to open the frunk. For only that purpose it didn't seem feasible. Am I missing something?

For us, living in a "not spot", without mobile coverage, both our phones are turned off 99.9% of the time. I'm getting better at trying to remember to turn it on when going out (only really because of the contact tracing app), but I still often forget, and only turn it on as I'm going out of the door, so it hasn't finished booting up by the time I want to open the car. The fob is always on, so just works as long as I have my keys in my pocket, which I always do.

Some have reported issues with their phone needing to be out of a pocket to work, or having to turn BT off and on again, whereas my experience has been that the fob just works all the time, it's never yet glitched at all. The only slightly fiddly thing with the fob is if the buttons are used, rather than just using it in keyless mode. There's a knack in timing the double button press needed to unlock the frunk and boot, that's made slightly more awkward because there's no physical buttons on the fob, just flexible areas in the fairly hard shell.

Reactions: Roy W.
It has prompted me a few times to tap my card on the console even though my phone is in my pocket. The last time 2 times I did notice my phone was connected to my Bluetooth earpiece. I'm always connected to my fitbit so it could be that having 2 is a limit as mentioned above.

I've been meaning to actually test it but haven't had the time or the patience as I replace my wedding band with the NFC ring so if it doesn't work I don't bother fiddling with phone and just place my hand on the console.