Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Startup Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey y'all!

Just wondering if anybody has experienced this or knows of a fix...? I've had at least 6+ instances since taking ownership of the vehicle taking a long time to start/boot up when I get into the car.

The car is able to detect my phone and auto unlock on approach but when I get into the car, the screen is turned off (completely black) and I can't start the car. The brake seems to be locked in a semi-depressed mode, and is quite stiff and only depresses a very short way down. The ambient lighting is on and fades off after a minute. But the car won't turn on, I can't shift to drive, or do anything. To "wake" the car up, I typically press the two steering wheel buttons for a minute while "trying" depress the brake, and the car will usually wake/boot-up on it's own after about 4 minutes later.

Kind of annoying, especially when I'm sometimes in a rush to leave the house.

Thoughts?

Reactions: Jamezam
Yes. It has happened to me about 5-6 times as well. As I’m trying to reboot twice now I’ve managed to reset all settings.
Super frustrating. Not exactly sure what I’m doing to contribute to that.
Weirder still when I approached my car today it said I had a software update (one I hope fixes this). Once it reboots and I set everything up again no sign of pending software update.

Glad other people are experiencing this problem, and not just me.

I will say this doesn't seem to happen when my car is plugged in. This always seems to occur at home where I don't have access to a charger/wall outlet and the car refuses to startup after parking it for 10+hrs. Maybe it goes into a DEEP sleep to conserve battery?

Also live in Toronto, and it's winter cold right now with temps typically below 0C.

Glad other people are experiencing this problem, and not just me.

I will say this doesn't seem to happen when my car is plugged in. This always seems to occur at home where I don't have access to a charger/wall outlet and the car refuses to startup after parking it for 10+hrs. Maybe it goes into a DEEP sleep to conserve battery?

Also live in Toronto, and it's winter cold right now with temps typically below 0C.

Do you normally precondition? I know it shouldn’t matter, but I’ve had better luck with the car unlocking and waking up if I interact with it through the app first which is normally to precondition. I’ve not had your exact issue. Mine is usually not unlocking automatically.

Do you normally precondition? I know it shouldn’t matter, but I’ve had better luck with the car unlocking and waking up if I interact with it through the app first which is normally to precondition. I’ve not had your exact issue. Mine is usually not unlocking automatically.
I guess I forgot to mention that my car is also parked in a concrete condo garage two floors into the earth, so it doesn't get any WiFi/LTE connection when parked :rolleyes:...Probably chose the wrong vehicle to own where I live :D

So while I'd love to pre-condition my vehicle, my app can't connect to my car unless I'm within Bluetooth range. Not that I would probably pre-condition my vehicle anyways as I'd want to save as much battery as possible due to the lack of charging capabilities.

The few times my Model Y would not recognize my phone the Model Y would unlock but not detect the key. Usually if I reboot the phone this fixes things. Once or twice I had to use the key card to start the Model Y.

Earlier this week I had the opposite problem. After parking the Model Y would not shut off. The HVAC kept running and the screen stayed active. I tried locking the Model Y using the phone and that revealed that the door lock command failed. I had not fully closed the driver's door, that was why the Model Y stayed powered on.

It's happened to me two times in the last couple of weeks after not using the MY for several days, sitting in my driveway w/Sentry off and not plugged in. I'm on 2020.48.30 FWIW. Annoying and embarrassing. I have my phone, OEM Key Card, and FOB... all opened the doors, but none woke up the car.

This has happened to me on both my Model 3 and now my Model Y. Delete the app and delete the phone as both a key AND bluetooth device. Then download and setup the app again, add it as a new bluetooth device, and add it as a key. That should resolve it (for a while).

I annoying issue I'm having is approaching the car, grabbing the handle, and the car doesn't unlock. Takes multiple tries. OR if I turn the iPhone bluetooth on/off (recommended in the app) it works for the rest of the day. Next morning, same deal.

Same issue for me. Car did not charge on schedule and had to reboot by holding down the two steering wheel buttons and foot on the brake. It took about 3 minutes, but came back and charged last night per the scheduled departure. Just got the 2020.48.35.5 update last night, so hopefully that will fix the issue!