Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Startup Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
....and these are the people promising full self drive capabilities? Something recent has prevented us from doing something as simple as starting the vehicle :(

FWIW.. as side effect of the issue is that the MY won't wake via the app either to pre-condition.

....and these are the people promising full self drive capabilities? Something recent has prevented us from doing something as simple as starting the vehicle :(

FWIW.. as side effect of the issue is that the MY won't wake via the app either to pre-condition.

Okay, i thought i had something similar happening before, on the last version .35 The back doors wouldn't unlock the car. But, I haven't had issues with the app not waking up the car to pre-condition. This was usually after it was definitely asleep.
The front doors would wake it up though.

Once again, I'm on 35.5 now and not seeing the same symptoms, but too soon to say for sure.

I'm baffled, and more than a bit angry, that NHTSA is allowing any of these "full self drive" cars on the road while the manufacturers figure out the bugs.

I think the whole concept is absurd. DRIVE YOUR CAR, use your own eyes, ears, hands, feet, maybe even your brain.

It's funny how we want this car to have all the advantages of being a high performance computer, but none of the shortcomings of a computer despite it having to function in a much harsher environment where it has to rely only on tenuous veins of communication wifi/bluetooth/cell. You can't have the processing power and reliability for all the sensors and complex algorithms without it taking a bit of time.

Any computer takes a bit of time to boot and start up. The tesla can 'sleep' or nearly turn off- when the latter happens, there is a longer delay. There are times where it seems to be dozing and takes a while to wake- this is ONLY when I walk right up to it after have not interacted with it or the app for the past few hours.

A simple solution is to give it a 'Hey, you ready yet?" heads up like you do with people you are travelling with. As soon as I start to get my stuff together, I'll wake the car up by opening the app on the phone- I usually do this anyways because I'm curious about the state of the charge or- for the last 3+months have preheated/preconditioned the car.

And like everything else in life - people ruin things. As hackers get more and more sophisticated - so will the routines the software has to go through to make sure that it's a legitimate access. This will likely chew up time and internet connectivity.

Personally I would much rather deal with this than pump the gas, start a stuttering cold carbureted engine and baby the throttle while it warms up enough to have it not stall when I get in gear....

Reactions: Jamezam
A simple solution is to give it a 'Hey, you ready yet?" heads up like you do with people you are travelling with. As soon as I start to get my stuff together, I'll wake the car up by opening the app on the phone- I usually do this anyways because I'm curious about the state of the charge or- for the last 3+months have preheated/preconditioned the car..

It's a good interim fix until they get it sorted out, thanks. It's not functioning as designed though. The idea is that you can walk up to your car with your phone in your pocket and go. God forbid you had to get into the car in an emergency and either the door wouldn't open, or once you're in, the car doesn't wake up. If they don't get it to work reliably, might as well get a fob. Heck, I was walking back to my car last week with coffee in one hand and when I reached for the handle, nothing. Here's hoping it gets sorted out soon. It never did on my M3 and the Service Center folks told me they were aware of it and that it wasn't the phone... it's the car's software.

jmatero: Rshephorse's post wasn't justifying any issues that some of you are having. He's simply stating that our expectations, in general, need to be based on computer/software realities of timing.

Based on your observations, it sounds like your car has some issues. The other posts above might have similar issues. Some of them might have their "problem" solved by understanding what Rshephorse has explained.

I’ve been dealing with the same thing the last few weeks. I’ve had the car since June and it’s been nearly flawless walking up to my car with my phone in my pocket. Lately I’ve had to wake my phone/app or use the keycard.

I'm baffled, and more than a bit angry, that NHTSA is allowing any of these "full self drive" cars on the road while the manufacturers figure out the bugs.

I think the whole concept is absurd. DRIVE YOUR CAR, use your own eyes, ears, hands, feet, maybe even your brain.

Thank you, Pianewman! Another voice in the wilderness...

And save $10K, which apparently goes down the porcelain convenience, as it appears not to be transferable to a new car.

Yeah, there are 2 common issues and I've experienced both:
  1. You walk up to the car with your phone in your pocket, the door opens, but the car does not wake up. No screen, brake pedal hard as a carp. Only way to get moving is to reset the system via the steering wheel buttons and wait 3-5 minutes until the screen re-appears.
  2. You walk up to the car with your phone in your pocket, car won't let you in.
Issue 1 I had with my 2019 Model 3, acknowledged by service, never really resolved. Model Y is issue 2 for me and started recently.

Reactions: Jamezam
For me your #1 features a screen that isn’t blank, but says unlocked and shows picture of the car. Then screen goes blank and nothing seems to revive it. Once it revives it launches browser to some Tesla address. Twice I’ve lost all settings except phone as key. Strange.