TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Starving Drivers in Formula One Sparks a Quiet (?) Debate

Discussion in 'Cars and Transportation' started by SwedishAdvocate, Apr 8, 2014.

1. SwedishAdvocate

SwedishAdvocate Active Member

#1 SwedishAdvocate, Apr 8, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
    How hard can it be to foresee this outcome? Seems like a piece of cake to mandate a ballast system to counter any advantages from weight and center of gravity because of differences in physique.

Just absurd.

Additional sources:

Adrian Sutil: lighter Formula 1 drivers blocking weight rule change - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com

F1 ace Jean-Eric Vergne hospitalised after Australian Grand Prix due to weight loss | Mail Online

2. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

Yeah just make driver + seat weigh 90kg (or whatever 82kg + decent seat weight is)

3. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

reminds me of wrestling in high school. you'd be surprised how much water weight you could shed by running a few miles wrapped in a trash bag.

4. SwedishAdvocate

:biggrin:

funny stuff

5. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

The discussion is going away already (it's last years news) as the actual races are showing that there's no correlation between driver weight and real results. The two drivers making the most noise again now (Adrian Sutil and Jean-Eric Vergne) happen to be being outperformed by their (smaller) stable-mates right now.

Lewis Hamilton, who is the outstanding driver of the moment, had this to say previously:

6. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

Nuts or take off those stupid bling ear rings :)

7. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

LOL. But that was a helluva drive in Bahrain!

8. lolachampcar

Love seeing him and Nico go at it but I wonder how much more of this abuse Nico is going to put up with before he punts Lewis. You can tell Nico was raised a good polite person but that is going to wear off at this rate.

9. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Merc have made it pretty clear that the guys can race, but they better bring the cars home. For now Ham is undoubtedly doing that bit better than Nico, but Nico knows that crossing the line with (too) aggressive driving will just get the team bosses raining blows on his head; I think he's smart enough, and more importantly patient enough, not to do anything stupid.

Fascinating intra-team rivalries all over F1 this year.

10. lolachampcar

I just fear Nico's lack of a "take it at all costs" attitude may cost him the best chance he may ever have at a championship. NOTHING gets in the way of what Hammy wants and I believe Nico will have to take that same approach if he is going to maintain the lead that was gifted to him in the first race (by Lewis' mechanical problems).

11. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

China will be interesting; Ham has a better track record there than Ros does and if Lewis finishes ahead of Nico that's going to have a big effect on Nico's confidence/motivation.

12. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Nigel (oh, the horror, a mod no less!) and Bill, you have your own parallel track going here :)

On topic, Schumi (speedy recovery, champ!) was extraordinarily fit and I'm not surprised at him clocking in at nearly 80 kilos. Race cars are not thoroughbred horses to merit a short/malnourished jockey. This is all rather silly.

13. SwedishAdvocate

If it matters, the OP doesn’t mind. Feel free to steer completely off the circuit :wink:

- - - Updated - - -

So why are they loosing weight and opting to race without on-board water supply? And one of them to such an extent that he ends up in a hospital... :eek:

I guess that’s yet another shortcoming of not being that proficient in science and math. It makes it a bit more difficult to approach this from a quick napkin calculation point of view… :redface:

14. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Adrian Sutil was the only driver who said he was going to drive without a water bottle, interestingly he's being out-performed by Esteban Guttierez who is his diminutive teammate. It's not a great stretch of the imagination that Sutil is looking for reasons to blame for his own performance.

The exact same thing is occurring with Jean-Eric Vergne (he of the hospital stay); JEV is not a bad driver but he's being severly outperformed by his new (and smaller) stablemate Daniil Kvyat.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, in a loose attempt to make this conversation relevant, did anyone else know that Juan Pablo Montoya now owns a Model S?

Juan-Pablo-Montoya-Tesla-600x602.jpg

Really nice guy, I met him when he was driving for McLaren in '06.

15. lolachampcar

JPM is a riot! He has some of the quickest hands in the business. Nice to see him in a MS. He appreciates good hardware.

16. thelastdeadmouse

Anyone who thinks the driver's aren't under pressure to reduce weight (whether its from the team or just themselves) doesn't follow the technical side of F1. There's not a team in the league that wouldn't pay a million dollars per pound to remove weight from the car itself, dropping 5-10 from the driver is a no brainer.

Arguably weight is more important now than its been in years. The teams are having to reduce power during much of the race to stay within the allowed fuel consumption rates, have reduced power, reduced downforce, and the potential to reduce total weight (in recent years shedding weight just helped you move your weight balance). Reducing total weight means lower fuel consumption, faster acceleration, faster cornering, and later braking. Its the only thing you can do to a race car that makes it better in every way. If they have a way to reduce their total weight by 0.7% they're going to do it.

17. physicsfita

physicsfita Member

It's a little more subtle than that. F1 has a minimum car-plus-driver weight, but the engineers want it as low to the ground as possible. When they shave some weight off a component (or the driver), they can put it on some tungsten ballast on the bottom of the car.

18. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

I'm not going to bite. The reality of this season is that what was perceived as a potential major issue has really turned out to be secondary. Drivers weight hardly comes into play when rival teams have a 40bhp power advantage.

There's a great article by Andrew Benson of BBC Sport out today which explains the power issue.

19. thelastdeadmouse

That was the case in recent seasons, but when changing the regulations for this season, they underestimated the weight of the new powerplants, and I believe all the cars are above the minimum weight this year. So if they can save a pound somewhere, they're reducing the total weight of the car.

You're right, the power plants are by far the most important factor this season. I'm guilty of speaking imprecisely; I was trying to make the point that weight is more important this year than it has been in previous years, not that its the most important factor this year. Losing a couple pounds alone isn't going to make the other teams competitive with Mercedes this season. Teammates are still driving otherwise identical cars though, and the other teams are still racing against each other, so weight still plays an important role. Compared to the money and effort F1 team put into taking pounds and ounces out of a car's weight, driver weight is low hanging fruit.

20. lolachampcar

This reminds me of the whining Paul Tracy did in ChampCar but, in that case, it was obvious that Paul needed to go on a diet. It is equally obvious here that F1 drivers do not and to do so creates an unsafe condition. F1 is more than willing to operate in an unsafe condition for a competitive advantage so the governing body is going to have to step in on this one.