Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stat apps and services

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not certain what's been going on for the past few weeks, but I have been having issues with the Stats App displaying the cost savings on the graph. This has been going on for the past 4 weeks. About a week ago the app started working again, but as of last thursday it's stopped again. I've kept the location services on (for what good reason I have no idea given that it has worked without it for a while, but I read somewhere that keeping it on corrects this recording issue - well it didn't). I've also used the app to open sand close the charge port (another suggestion offered).

Interestingly the actual cost to recharge, as noted at the bottom right hand part of screen number one remains accurate.
Any suggestions welcomed.

Thanks.

Not certain what's been going on for the past few weeks, but I have been having issues with the Stats App displaying the cost savings on the graph. This has been going on for the past 4 weeks. About a week ago the app started working again, but as of last thursday it's stopped again. I've kept the location services on (for what good reason I have no idea given that it has worked without it for a while, but I read somewhere that keeping it on corrects this recording issue - well it didn't). I've also used the app to open sand close the charge port (another suggestion offered).

Interestingly the actual cost to recharge, as noted at the bottom right hand part of screen number one remains accurate.

Thanks.
Drop the dev a note. Thru the app, you can send him an email.

Thanks.
I give up on this app. I’m not necessarily blaming the developers because I think the tesla software upgrades also mess with how it works with the app. But it doesn’t work consistently with showing data. I’ve emailed the developer and he’s made suggestions but it doesn’t fix the issues with energy tracking being hit and miss. It could also be iOS 13 that’s causing issues who know. But anyway I digress. There’s too many variables at play I think.

I give up on this app. I’m not necessarily blaming the developers because I think the tesla software upgrades also mess with how it works with the app. But it doesn’t work consistently with showing data. I’ve emailed the developer and he’s made suggestions but it doesn’t fix the issues with energy tracking being hit and miss. It could also be iOS 13 that’s causing issues who know. But anyway I digress. There’s too many variables at play I think.

I agree completely about data logging being hit or miss. There are still a lot of useful features, though.

I agree with the features. But I actually bought the app to address gas savings. Granted I'm getting a lot more than that but it was also bought to suggest changing a friend's fleet to electric. Without adequate data collection on charges, this is not really occurring. One of my close friends is spending hundreds per month for gasoline and he has been wondering if going electric might be better. I told him that he could buy a Model 3 in savings over the next few years on the 4 gas guzzlers that are used daily (I calculated 4 years).

I like the watch integration and I like the cabin and battery preparation, especially when it hits 30 degrees outside. All of these things are great and so I continue to use the app. But I agree it is inconsistent. Additionally, it may not now be worth the $19 price tag.

One big issue that I have is keeping the app on all of the time. Additionally the app developer would like a data file sent. However there is no information on what information is being sent. Giving up the Tesla Token is one thing - a very big thing I might add, but giving up more info is a bit too much, especially if the app developer's suggestions aren't working.

Random question: Is there any way with any of the third party apps to look at historical data? That is, is the data stored in the car or provided via API just the current data or could you access information from months ago if you started using an app today?

Also, any issues regarding data security with non-Tesla apps?

Random question: Is there any way with any of the third party apps to look at historical data? That is, is the data stored in the car or provided via API just the current data or could you access information from months ago if you started using an app today?

I don't know of any apps that currently do that or if it's even possible. I pretty much gave up on this app. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It'll work for a few weeks recording everything, then it'll only record certain stats, and then a few weeks later it'll magically start working again. I see the dev is still active on twitter but it's been over 9 months since the last iOS update.

I don't know of any apps that currently do that or if it's even possible. I pretty much gave up on this app. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It'll work for a few weeks recording everything, then it'll only record certain stats, and then a few weeks later it'll magically start working again. I see the dev is still active on twitter but it's been over 9 months since the last iOS update.

Has anyone figured out how to fix this issue within the Stats app? I've reached out to the developer through the app and he appears to mean well but he can't seem to fix the problem of my graphs not showing any data. It has now been down now for about a week and apparently there's nothing I can do to fix this issue? I'm having trouble with the 2nd tab on the top and these specific graphs: gas savings, driving efficiency, distance driven, battery health, and phantom drain

The app would be great if it worked, but I at this point I feel like I got scammed out of $25

This is not going to be the last time you feel scammed by an app. My favorite was the RV GPS by Rand McNally. After they had sold quite a few copies they decided to nix the project and screw those who bought it. Even Apple refused to help. And it's not like they stopped making updates, but you could keep using it with the old map data. No, they issued an update that refused to install. So you thought your iPad was in error, but if you deleted it you couldn't download it again as it was no longer on the store. The only way to find out what happened was to call support and they were extremely tight-lipped about it.

Probably trying not to get sued.

I use and love TeslaMate. It's self hosted (you can even set it up on a raspberry pi) so less concerns about other people accessing your data as long as you don't expose it outside your home network. It's not turnkey like the other apps but it's maybe a Medium difficulty level project if you have zero experience to start with.

Has anyone figured out how to fix this issue within the Stats app? I've reached out to the developer through the app and he appears to mean well but he can't seem to fix the problem of my graphs not showing any data. It has now been down now for about a week and apparently there's nothing I can do to fix this issue? I'm having trouble with the 2nd tab on the top and these specific graphs: gas savings, driving efficiency, distance driven, battery health, and phantom drain

The app would be great if it worked, but I at this point I feel like I got scammed out of $25
There's something in the FAQs about how to recover lost data. It can't create data that never existed, though.

Have you tried exporting the data into a csv file?

There's something in the FAQs about how to recover lost data. It can't create data that never existed, though.

Have you tried exporting the data into a csv file?

Thanks for the response, but the FAQ you are mentioning doesn’t help. The bar graphs are just stuck on “loading” and if I swipe down to try to re-load the page the app freezes up and I have to force quit.

Ironically I posted this a few days ago after about a week of the app being broken and it just started working again yesterday. It seems totally random when it works, so I assume it will just break on me again soon

See my thread here: PSA: Don't use third-party apps and services, period.

I still stand by much of what I originally wrote. I won't point a direct finger, but my concerns did become very real with a couple posts on this forum. There is clearly someone leaking or misusing info, and this is not shocking to me at all.

As for historical data prior to the app, there's essentially nothing you can do. They're basically being a logbook for you, and until you start writing in the logbook you won't have historical data.

Good day guys,

There is probably a ton of these on the forums already, sorry.

I'm looking at some of the third-party apps and services for tracking data. (wish Tesla had it built in)

I'm worried about vampire drain, I keep hearing its high with these 3rd party services.

Security aside what do you guys think of these services.

I've looked at TeslaFi, Stats ios, Teslastics.

TeslaFi leaves a lot to be desired in style and look
Stats app is nice but always needs to be running in the background but has some nice extra features like siri shortcuts
Teslastics is what I'm currently testing, it has a very clean look still trying to get enough data in it to give it a good comparison.

It's hard to compare since they all need real-time data.

What do you guys think and your experience so far with them?

Thanks

I used Tezlab. Deactivated after I read camalaio's PSA. I figured I don't need that much data anyway.

Last edited:
I did a TL;DR skim, but from what I know, TezLab is waiting for a good authentication method like Google/Yahoo have for most platforms.

Until then their app takes your info and uses it ON YOUR DEVICE to create the token. It is never sent to the TezLab guys. Yes, they have access to your Tesla data like where you traveled, but so does your cellphone company. I know you should never give up freedoms for a little security (thanks Great Uncle Ben) but I'm willing to give up the security of my car in the short run to gain the diagnostic and logbook features of this app. In the long run when Tesla really does release a PUBLIC API, they will also have to release a secure login feature.

While I am waiting I use the Apple password storage feature built into their services and have a different password for each place I log into, including Tesla. Oh, look, there I go giving my password to Apple, a stranger, for some convenience. Sorry, I would lose too much of what I value if I were to follow @camalaio

Last edited:
I did a TL;DR skim, but from what I know, TezLab is waiting for a good authentication method like Google/Yahoo have for most platforms.

In the short run, their app takes your info and uses it ON YOUR DEVICE to create the token. It is never sent to the TezLab guys. Yes, they have access to your Tesla data like where you traveled, but so does your cellphone company. I know you should never give up freedoms for a little security (thanks Uncle Ben) but I'm willing to give up the security of my car in the short run to gain the diagnostic and logbook features of this app. In the long run when Tesla really does release a PUBLIC API, they will have to release a secure login feature.

While I am waiting I use the Apple password storage feature built into their services and have a different password for each place I log into, including Tesla. Oh, look, there I go giving my password to a stranger for some convenience. Sorry, I would lose too much of what I value if I were to follow @camalaio

To be fair, there's a lot to read in that thread. There's not much better about them using a token; the token itself gives far too much access, and TezLab does indeed hold onto that token on their servers, as well as a lot of compiled information on your vehicle specifically.

I will summarize with this though: For any such third-party service, even if they use the token only, you are giving them a "Virtual Key" to your car. Unlike a physical key, it can be used anywhere in the world at any time by any person, and "copies" are trivial to make. If they are benevolent holders of this key but still lose it somehow (hey, it happens, frequently), anyone can access your car and its information, probably without you ever knowing. Good luck.

Yeah, friend of mine has been saying that since I started using TezLab, I have yet to hear any good suggestion of what someone can do with that key. I guess they can crash your car using summon, but they can take a hammer to your car w/ much less effort.

Anyone else have the issue that when you do a Siri command via the watch, you have to do an extra step by clicking 'Do' (or 'Cancel') on the watch? I can't figure it out

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-01 at 11.12.45 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-01 at 11.12.45 AM.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 72