Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

State based EV road user charge (Overturned 18/10/23)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Energy minister Dan van Holst Pellekaan told Parliament they (SA Government) plan to use GPS trackers. So I assume everyone will be given a GPS tracker to put in their EV (or the top kitchen draw every second week).

Even though it is illegal to wind back Odometers, and it would be cheaper to have EV owners report their mileage every 6 months, the legislation is part of a broader plan to privatise the road network - essentially turning each and every road into a toll road over the next 10 to 15 years as everyone transition to Electric. The GPS is therefore essential to determine who's road you have been traveling on and what private owner will get the levy.

It appears to be a very expensive way to take a odometer reading.

The government will have to supply the GPS hardware. Will it be self install, or have to be fitted by a tech? If it is self install, can you install it on a fixed surface at home, rather than in your car? Or if you have a couple of cars, can you install it in the one with the lowest ongoing millage.

How will be data be downloaded? Will it be 4G?

How much will the IT platform cost to retrieve, store and process all the data?

What privacy concerns are there?

It appears to be a very expensive way to take a odometer reading.

The government will have to supply the GPS hardware. Will it be self install, or have to be fitted by a tech? If it is self install, can you install it on a fixed surface at home, rather than in your car? Or if you have a couple of cars, can you install it in the one with the lowest ongoing millage.

How will be data be downloaded? Will it be 4G?

How much will the IT platform cost to retrieve, store and process all the data?

What privacy concerns are there?
My Tesla already records all that stuff. I see it in TeslaSpy. It's scary how much it knows about me.

Chances are governments will simply order Tesla to supply it.

And if any manufacturer refuses, or doesn't have the tech onboard already, they'll insist you install it yourself as a condition of registration.

GPS tracking in our cars, time to write to the local MP; what else will they do with that information?
Sell to a private company for some extra cash?
Put it on a public DB like the 100,000 NSW drivers' licences leak?
Issue parking and speeding fines?

GPS tracking by government of electric cars. That should destroy the industry nicely.
Also what a fantastic trial for a new method of revenue raising. Every time you exceed the speed limit, bang, the expiation is in the post.
But not sure why the SA government is still going with this. The majority of the senate have already declared it will be voted down.

So if it's GPS, does that mean when you drive on toll roads like Citylink it's exempt, as technically it's a private road?

Apparently state treasurers have been working on it for over a year, but details are still very scant.

Its understood the largest proponent of the EV tax is Infrastructure Partnerships Australia. (it may even be their policy) They are basically a lobby group for the likes of Transurban who own Citylink. It would be interesting to contact Citylink with your question and see what they have to say.
Road User Charging for Electric Vehicles - IPA

The long term goal as I understand it is to remove tolls (well sort off). As more and more roads become privatised, it makes sense to have one collection house. So the idea is the government (until they privatise VicRoads) could act as the collection house for the Road User Charging scheme. If the GPS shows you are traveling on Citylink, they can pass the fees collected to them. As the charges are the same, it removes any bias towards one road over the other.

The states can then gradually privatise all the arterials on 99 year leases and its transparent to the public (hence, Infrastructure Partnerships Australia interest in this). You won't have 100 different tolls you have to manage. Its a bit like public transport, most states still have a central ticketing system, even though they have different private operators for their bus, train, tram networks.

However the current problem I see with passing fees to CityLink at the moment is the unit charge. The Victorian government has indicated 2.5c per km. Citylink is more like 40 cents per km as I understand it. So the 2.5c might just be a introductory price.

The other remark about cost is fuel excise goes into consolidated revenue. It doesn't actually pay for roads. Its unclear at this stage if the long term plan is to use the Road User Charging scheme to fund roads in its entirely - i.e. in 15 years when EVs make up most vehicles.

Last edited:
More charging stations? Car-to-home power? Federal Government ponders ways to boost electric car sales

Fed Govt Electric car strategy

There is no direct financial help for motorists to switch to electric cars and no target for new electric car sales.

Instead, the discussion paper includes:
  • $72 million in funding already announced for co-investing in charging infrastructure.
  • A two-year trial of an electric car fleet for COMCAR, which provides cars and drivers for politicians.
  • Updating the 'Green Vehicle Guide' website.
  • Asking energy agencies to look at options for car-to-home and car-to-grid battery use.
There is also no mention of fuel efficiency standards.

More charging stations? Car-to-home power? Federal Government ponders ways to boost electric car sales

Fed Govt Electric car strategy

There is no direct financial help for motorists to switch to electric cars and no target for new electric car sales.

Instead, the discussion paper includes:
  • $72 million in funding already announced for co-investing in charging infrastructure.
  • A two-year trial of an electric car fleet for COMCAR, which provides cars and drivers for politicians.
  • Updating the 'Green Vehicle Guide' website.
  • Asking energy agencies to look at options for car-to-home and car-to-grid battery use.
There is also no mention of fuel efficiency standards.

So pretty much the bare minimum