Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

State based EV road user charge (Overturned 18/10/23)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Road maintenance funding my arse
Roads are full of pot holes
Politicians and their stupid ideas…

Exactly.

It seems quite convoluted - certainly not thought out.

Budget Paper 1, Page 26:

The government is intending to introduce a road user charge for plug-in electric and zero emission vehicles. The charge will include a fixed component (similar to current registration charging) and a variable charge based on distance travelled. Electric vehicles do not attract fuel excise and therefore make a lower contribution to the cost of maintaining our road network. The proposed road user charge will ensure road maintenance funding is sustainable into the future.

I wonder if that includes or excludes PHEVs?

If it excludes PHEVs, you could buy one and run mostly on Electric power and fly under the radar.

If it includes PHEVs, do you pay Electric Tax on the kilometres for the year AND fuel excise on every litre of fuel you pump into it? Or do you have to keep a log book on your electric miles vs petrol miles?

Update which I think we may all be aware of

1668993249716.png

...and none of this was predictable of course, as practically all politicians have failed to accept any of the climate science that is well established and long known, the dim witted morons that they are.

A general science knowledge and logic comprehension test should be mandatory for all aspiring politicians.

A general science knowledge and logic comprehension test should be mandatory for all aspiring politicians.

Yes there are some who probably would have trouble with a basic climate science test but the main trouble is the amount of money being thrown around by those who seek to keep the status quo - the mining and oil sectors are very powerful and have deep pockets. Alas there are some car companies who also play this game.

Regardless of why the roads are in the state they are, there needs to be a vast amount spent to fix them, especially in the bush.

practically all politicians have failed to accept any of the climate science that is well established and long known, the dim witted morons that they are.
Zee, I have to disagree with you there.
It is difficult to determine whether the pollies are stupid or self-serving. Maybe they understand and believe the climate data but are trying for short-term wins from re-election or business interests? And the future can go **** itself?
Short-sightedness and self-destructiveness are ever our greatest foes.

In the face of anthropogenous climate change being the root cause of an extinction level process for billions of people on this planet, prioritising self-servedness over the greater good is a sign of diminished mental capacity - and yes, I perhaps overly colloquially characterised this as "dim witted". I'm not saying their disability is due to a fault of their own, perhaps they grew up with too much lead in the air and they now lack the 5 IQ points that would have kept them inside the standard distribution.

Road upkeep esp in rural areas of course is a major cost factor that needs to be budgeted for. Budgeting without taking increased frequency of severe weather events into account is going to fall short of what's safe, useful, and acceptable. But even in the cities roads are in abysmal conditions. Some of the worst roads I've encountered (and cracked rims on) are in the Sydney CBD and highways within 5km. There is no excuse for not fixing these issues daily, especially in the age of crowd sourced quality data. Waze can tell them within minutes of bitumen coming lose where an urgent fix is needed.

You know.. when this finally gets overturned

My prediction, FWIW, is it won’t. The “vibe” of the hearings might provide some insight into the Court‘s thinking on the constitutional question at hand, and their questions might hint at a predisposition one way or the other, but we won’t really know until they release their decision after the hearing - which could be many months after Feb.

My prediction, FWIW, is it won’t. The “vibe” of the hearings might provide some insight into the Court‘s thinking on the constitutional question at hand, and their questions might hint at a predisposition one way or the other, but we won’t really know until they release their decision after the hearing - which could be many months after Feb.
Its going to be an interesting outcome. Victorian are effectively collecting tax from cars that leave victoria and then return from another state. Once transport becomes electric the problem will be even more amplified