Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

State EV Tax Credit: Modified MSRP Eligible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Prospective (who am I kidding? Future) Model 3 owner in New Jersey:

Does a showroom adjustment to a "new" vehicle's price affect its eligibility for a state EV tax credit?

I have my eye on a Model 3 Performance which dipped below the $55K threshold due to a price adjustment (confirmed demo vehicle). Fremont says original MSRP is what is considered for tax credit while several Tesla locations in NJ claim the vehicle should be eligible due to the adjusted MSRP but cannot provide anything in writing.

Given the conflicting info received, I figured it was worth joining the community to ask =)

For anyone else interested, came across this statement from their program's FAQ while waiting for a reply:

"Which vehicles will be eligible for the incentive?
Eligible vehicles are new, light-duty plug-in electric vehicles, with a final MSRP of up to $55,000. Eligible electric vehicles are both plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEVs) and battery electric vehicles (BEVs). The Eligibility List is under development and will be released when the incentive becomes available."

• Informative
Reactions: BluestarE3
I think the “Fremont says” is in reference to the pricing calculation details they post on their website. It’s not a definitive statement about the rebate policy. As long as it’s a new car (never before claimed) and conforms to the price threshold, it appears you’re golden.

I think the “Fremont says” is in reference to the pricing calculation details they post on their website. It’s not a definitive statement about the rebate policy. As long as it’s a new car (never before claimed) and conforms to the price threshold, it appears you’re golden.
Sorry, should've clarified: "Fremont" was in reference to the sales advisor and his manager. While helpful, both admitted they weren't 100% confident in their response