TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

State Farm Dropped My Insurance

Discussion in 'Model S' started by CaptDaveHowe, Feb 13, 2014.

Tags:
  1. CaptDaveHowe

CaptDaveHowe Member

I just received a letter in mail from State Farm Insurance, who I have used to insure all of the cars I've owned since I was 25 (I'm now 56 - long time). In a nutshell, the letter states that State Farm will not renew my policy for my Model S. I own two other cars, which are not affected.

Basically, State Farm claims that the Model S does not meet their guidelines and standards that determine if insurance can be provided. I find this odd, as the Model S was rated "the safest car in 2013, etc". So what's up with State Farm? Is it the cost to fix one?

Does anyone in the New York area have a suggestion on insurance companies that cover Tesla automobiles?

2. slipdrive

slipdrive Member

Hmmmm.. I am in the exact same boat. Multiple cars and policys with SF for decades. The Model S was treated about like I expected a high end car. 700/6mo. Seems like they would just raise premiums. Maybe time to shop around. Who has good Tesla response with insurance companies ?

3. jonbcampos

jonbcampos Member

Strange

My tesla is about to show up and I am working with my state farm rep now and I haven't heard anything about this. They did quote me fairly high (roughly 170/month) because apparently the car is classified like a corvette. I tried to argue with them on this but they said there isn't enough info about the car so for now it is seen as high risk. I have yet to get information of being dropped though. What state are you in?

Me = Texas

4. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Perhaps it might be a good idea to let ownership @ Tesla know about this.

5. NoMoGas

NoMoGas Member

Geico, 665 6mo full coverage

6. slipdrive

slipdrive Member

My State Farm agent just returned my call, and said he knows nothing of any problem. Also said the agent always gets prior notice is such cases ...

They might underwrite on a regional basis so these decisions are sporadic ...

7. caddieo

caddieo Member

I'M in Florida. I haven't heard anything adverse so far.

8. Ven Rala

Ven Rala Member

I have used USAA for 12 years and they insured my S with no issues. I have multiple banking/insurance accounts through USAA and think very highly of them. Great customer service and great rates. If you are eligible (current or former military or have a family member that was/is a USAA member) you can qualify.

9. Bradleybang

Bradleybang Member

I know Progressive will write a Tesla S in NY. Unsure of their pricing.

10. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

My guess is cost of repair. 1/ Tesla only selling parts to "authorized Tesla" repair centers. 2/ No generic/refurbished part supply.

11. zwede

zwede 2013 P85+

I'm next door in Plano. Currently Travelers is $559/6 months for my P85+. They say it will go down a bit when I switch to paying annually rather than 6 months. The agent is also checking if I can get a discount for the GPS locator that's standard in the Tesla (makes theft recovery easy). You can call my agent if you want. Tesla was a bit of an educational experience for her and Travelers, but they got it mostly figured out now. 817-865-1801, ask for Aimee (I don't get anything for referrals, just trying to help).

12. sranger

sranger Member

I left "Snake Farm" a long time ago. I use AMICA now and have been happy with the...

13. roblab

roblab Active Member

Good thing they dropped you before you needed to drop them.

Unigard / QBE 600 / 6 mo, $1K deduct. One car.

Shop around.

14. SeminoleFSU

SeminoleFSU Member

#14 SeminoleFSU, Feb 13, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
    I'm still on SF, my payment started at 188/mo but it's now up to 197/mo... I just got a speeding ticket for 82/55, but haven't gone to court yet. Not sure if that would've affected my rate or not.... Seems like if you guys are getting 650-700 for 6mo it's time to shop around.

EDIT:
    Well I just went online and found I really can save a lot by switching to Geico. :tongue: Got a quote for $600 every 6mo.. Probably need to check the details of the policy coverages to make sure I'm comparing apples to apples- but wow.

15. rlang59

rlang59 Member

If you are a Birkshire Hathaway shareholder you will also get a discount.

16. Denarius

Denarius Active Member

My car is insured through State Farm, at my renew my rate went up slightly, but that is all.

17. Zythryn

Zythryn MS 70D, MX 90D

No issues with my SF agent in MN.
    Just renewed on my S85 a little over a month ago.

18. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Active Member

State Farm may have dropped your Model S insurance, but it looks to me like they are about to be The Biggest Loser when you transfer all your vehicles to another provider. Congratulations!

19. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

State Farm is one of the highest insurance rates around. you could easily get half for the same coverage elsewhere. consider this a blessing and drop them completely right now and go save yourself a lot of money.

20. kcveins

kcveins delivery 2/7

I'm with State Farm in Chicago - just got my renewal 2 days ago for $450/6 mons.