Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

State Farm Dropped My Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just received a letter in mail from State Farm Insurance, who I have used to insure all of the cars I've owned since I was 25 (I'm now 56 - long time). In a nutshell, the letter states that State Farm will not renew my policy for my Model S. I own two other cars, which are not affected.

Basically, State Farm claims that the Model S does not meet their guidelines and standards that determine if insurance can be provided. I find this odd, as the Model S was rated "the safest car in 2013, etc". So what's up with State Farm? Is it the cost to fix one?

Does anyone in the New York area have a suggestion on insurance companies that cover Tesla automobiles?
Would you post the redacted letter please? I'm concerned about the exact verbiage.

I called my cousin on this...he "owns" a State Farm office and has been my agent forever.

He says he has never heard of State Farm dropping a specific make/model once they decide to actually insure it. People get dropped all the time.

If you want to PM your name, agent, office, etc. he said he would be glad to call for clarification for you.

SF Insurance Drop Reason

I did find out the exact reason for the non-renewal. It had to do with a claim. My Model S was tapped in a parking lot while I was shopping, which made a dent in the passenger side door. I had it repaired by a Tesla approved shop and SF covered the repair ($2900), with a $500 deductible. My wife and I have very clean driving records (no accidents, no violations), but have had a claim over the years for each of our other vehicles for slight damage repairs such as this one. The other cars include a Lexus GS300 and a Lexus SC430. No non-renewals were issued after repairs similar to the one my Model S just had for these. So, what is the real reason, that fixing a Model S is too expensive? Wouldn't be the same with any other aluminum body car? Or is there another reason?

I did just receive a quote from Liberty Mutual for $1000 a year and that is prior to offering them my other cars for a multi-car discount. State Farm was charging me $1412 a year. I've always known that State Farm charged higher premiums, but they were always rated high in service. Yet, I also have been thinking of changing due to the high premium costs, which with all 3 cars currently owned could result in over $1000 per year savings. I was also not happy with SF, as here on Long Island, the have been canceling policies with all of my neighbors who had them for homeowners insurance, right after Super Storm Sandy. (I only used SF for auto insurance).

So, this latest with SF did give me a little kick to leave SF entirely and move on.

Reactions: Gt1948
I had State Farm for years for both my home and auto. When I purchased a new home, they were having some issues and weren't able to issue a policy for my new house at that time. So I cancelled my auto policy and found I was able to get significant savings by switching to another insurer - and since then State Farm hasn't been able to get me back as a customer.

I have a Nissan LEAF, a Honda van that I use infrequently, and the Model S (P85). I changed from 21st Century because they wouldn't cover the S when I bought I last summer and I moved all three cars over to Ameriprise (Costco). The premium for the same coverage I had before from 21st is $650/6 months for all 3 cars...I'm the only driver...

I have used USAA for 12 years and they insured my S with no issues. I have multiple banking/insurance accounts through USAA and think very highly of them. Great customer service and great rates. If you are eligible (current or former military or have a family member that was/is a USAA member) you can qualify.

Ditto on USAA if at all possible. Great company all around.

I pay less than 500 per YEAR for the Model S P85.

I just received a letter in mail from State Farm Insurance, who I have used to insure all of the cars I've owned since I was 25 (I'm now 56 - long time). In a nutshell, the letter states that State Farm will not renew my policy for my Model S.

I believe collision coverage may be the issue with the Model S. While the car does have an extraordinary record for occupant safety, the autobody repair costs I've read about on this forum are sobering. Basically, you can take whatever you'd normally pay for body work on a BMW, Audi or Mercedes and double or even triple it. One owner, who had a dented hood with no other damage, paid over $10,000 for a simple hood replacement. Furthermore, Tesla requires that the work be done at a Tesla-approved body shop. No wonder insurance rates are creeping upward as real-world data rolls in.

This suggests another possible business opportunity for Tesla and a groundbreaking solution for owners: Tesla could start selling auto insurance to its customers. With cost control at every step of the way, Tesla would be in a better position to offer insurance at competitive rates. Tesla could even open its own body shops. It might be time for another disruptive business tactic.

I believe collision coverage may be the issue with the Model S. While the car does have an extraordinary record for occupant safety, the autobody repair costs I've read about on this forum are sobering. Basically, you can take whatever you'd normally pay for body work on a BMW, Audi or Mercedes and double or even triple it. One owner, who had a dented hood with no other damage, paid over $10,000 for a simple hood replacement. Furthermore, Tesla requires that the work be done at a Tesla-approved body shop. No wonder insurance rates are creeping upward as real-world data rolls in.

This suggests another possible business opportunity for Tesla and a groundbreaking solution for owners: Tesla could start selling auto insurance to its customers. With cost control at every step of the way, Tesla would be in a better position to offer insurance at competitive rates. Tesla could even open its own body shops. It might be time for another disruptive business tactic.

I was think the same. Probably a good idea to notify Tesla. Still, in my case, it was not like there was a need to buy a new door from Tesla. Just standard auto body work.

I just received a letter in mail from State Farm Insurance, who I have used to insure all of the cars I've owned since I was 25 (I'm now 56 - long time). In a nutshell, the letter states that State Farm will not renew my policy for my Model S. I own two other cars, which are not affected.

Basically, State Farm claims that the Model S does not meet their guidelines and standards that determine if insurance can be provided. I find this odd, as the Model S was rated "the safest car in 2013, etc". So what's up with State Farm? Is it the cost to fix one?

Does anyone in the New York area have a suggestion on insurance companies that cover Tesla automobiles?

That is so odd as I just got State Farm about 2 weeks ago and they didn't say anything about my Tesla S

Early on here on the forums, State Farm had the lowest rates, in general, across the country for the Model S.

Insurance companies often drop people tho if credit ratings change, review of accidents/tickets, and/or rates are at the outer limits for some clients.

Reactions: Sherlo
Weird. I have State Farm, $628 per 6 months in California, less than my wife's 2012 Explorer.
Several years ago someone scraped my Viper on the side. Was $28,000 to repair and State Farm didn't drop me. Very few other claims though.

This is a bummer but unfortunately I know a couple of people with this problem, and a friend who didn't buy an MS because of it. According to his SF agent (a friend of his), SF won't insure it because of their 'time to repair' policy. Apparently if SF can't get the car repaired within a certain number of days, they consider the car a total loss and will get you a new one. Apparently getting parts for damaged cars was a problem (at least back when my friend told me about this) and they were having to buy brand new cars for customers who had gotten into accidents even if the damage was easily repairable costing them too much on the car.

In NY Geico and Progressive do insure (I use the latter)

$429/6 mo from GEICO for P85 only (all other cars, house, etc.. through other company).

I put just my wife and I on the car. It was going to be much more to put my 20ish year old sons on the car.

The $429 was just going through their website with no history or special contacts with the company. No claims so far....