Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

State Farm increasing premiums on Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are 50 states plus DC. (expand this by other countries, territories, provinces, etc.) Each state has its own laws and each company has its own loss experience. Each state is going to have its own product manager (each PM can have more than one state) that is responsible for profit in the state. State Farm could raise rates in one state because loss experience dictates that, while dropping them in another because they are looking for more market share. Auto insurance is something you can't compare across people - at all. You can compare rates for YOU across companies, but your rate has nothing to do with anyone else's rate.

State farm was never good for me (all 6 mo quotes for the same house/vehicle, one month ago):

Liberty Mutual Insurance $802
progressive $811
esurance $872
geico $991
ameriprise $995
metlife $973
florida farm bureau $1111
travelers $1154
statefarm $1211
farmers $1384
safeco $1431
general auto $1962
american family ins $2084

That's interesting. I haven't saved the numbers, but I got quotes from about half a dozen different insurers when I bought my Model 3 a few weeks ago. The range was even greater than yours (one of mine was an outlier, at something like 4x the rate of the others). Geico, for me, was over 2x the rate of Progressive, and IIRC, Liberty Mutual was slightly more expensive than Progressive. Of course, small differences (like Progressive vs. Liberty Mutual flipping positions) could be accounted for by differences in coverage, since coverages never line up exactly; but bigger ones (like Progressive vs. Geico) more likely reflect something else, like regional or driver-to-driver effects.

In any event, I suppose the lesson is to shop around for you and your car, not to rely on somebody else's experience. (That's not to suggest that sharing experiences is pointless or bad; just don't assume that your quotes will match what you see others getting.)

I don’t have my model 3 yet but I do have State Farm... the quote they gave me a few days ago was only slightly higher than my current Audi. I hope that doesn’t change when I take delivery.
I sell auto insurance and I looked at what it would cost me to insure an M3. I pay about $1000 a year for my 2017 Audi A4 2.0 with Safeco and the M3 would run about $200 more for the same coverage in Colorado. One of the things the insurance companies stress it that although the cars are safer, fixing them with all the electronics makes them more expensive to fix.

Funny....just received State Farm 6-month bill and invoice went down slightly.
11/19/18....$373.62
5/19/19....$364.01

No claims, changes in coverage, etc...
Insurance in the midwest insurance is so much lower than Colorado, specifically the front range. We have had huge hailstorms lately. People actually died because of the large ice chunks falling. Western slope is much less expensive.

$576 / 6 months for my M3 Performance, and I have the gold package and higher coverage limits. 37, married, clean record. Coverage summary:

$250k/$500K/$100K
$1k Collision, $500 Comp Deductibles
Rental Coverage
New Car Value Umbrella - Full replacement value at MSRP for 3 years in the event of total loss
Accident Forgiveness

It's the same price as my wife's Volvo and actually a touch cheaper than my previous 2016 Cadillac ATS-V

I like that. Which carrier?

Crap, I missed that in my original post. All State!

Here's more info, I guess I was wrong on the 3 years, it's 2 years, but still cool. The coverage falls off after two years, for what it's worth, it's $15 / 6 months for that line item, so effectively $60 for 2 years to guarantee if your car is totaled, you just get a brand new car. I bought it mostly because I saw a lot of posts about their cars being totaled out with what didn't seem like significant damage (compared to ICE cars).

https://www.allstate.com/auto-insurance/car-replacement.aspx