Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

State Inspection in Hudson Valley

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why not bring it to where you've always brought your vehicles in the past? Unless this is your first vehicle...

Also, I don't own a Tesla nor EV, but, depending on where you are, Precision Automotive on Route 55 in Poughkeepsie is where my family brings their vehicles. It's run by a father and son and they're the nicest people on this planet... so I'd suggest there! A quick search online/here shows that you probably don't need to tell the mechanic anything since they know what to look for in inspections... it's more so just safety components (brakes, etc) since there's no engine for them to inspect :)

Also, as a selfish little plug, if you're in the Dutchess county area (or anyone reading this), would you be willing to show my family/friends and I a test drive in a few weeks? (Sept. 23rd-ish). I've test driven a Model S down in Maryland where I live, and the other day an extremely cool dude down here let me drive his Model S (we met here on TMC)... and I'll be up visiting family and friends in NY on the weekend of the 23rd and would love if my family/friends could see a Tesla as well instead of only hearing me rave about it!

For a Tesla, the NY State inspection is a 'Safety Inspection' only, the emissions part is not done as you have no emissions. The mechanic will most likely want to take one of the wheels off to check the brake pads. Make sure to tell them to place the lift precisely under the lift pads (these are very close to the battery and this could be a very costly mistake). Also, if you have air suspension, put the car in 'Jack Mode'. Once all done, remind them to torque the wheel lug nuts to 129 lb/ft. If all goes well, you'll get a sticker on your windshield and be on your way.