Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

State Inspection in NH

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since there is no service center in NH, what's a good recommendation for where to get the annual inspection (Nashua area specifically)? I suspect most places wouldn't really know what to do with an EV though I'm sure they will find some sort of "required" repair to upsell regardless.

Does anyone know if an annual inspection is even required in NH? I didn't get a NH (or any) sticker when I bought the car back in December and I have been driving in NH without a sticker. Just renewed the registration.

You've had NH plates for nine months without a windshield sticker? Impressive! In our town, if your birthday month is over and it's one day after the 10 day grace period, likely wouldn't get too far before getting pulled over.

I've had several NH inspections at different shops. Predictably, Tesla knowledge is pretty uneven. Wherever you end up taking your vehicle, a couple of recommendations. Ask them if they are familiar with the jack points and how to lift the car. If they plan on removing any wheels, good to review the lug nut torque specs. A good shop will appreciate the info. On a side note, when we finally do get Tesla service in NH, there's a good chance Tesla won't be putting the sticker on the windshield. Unless things have changed, last year I asked Dedham service about their MA inspections. Was told they don't do state inspections on site, vehicles were taken to a shop just down the street. In some ways it's a plus. Having third party shops familiar with Tesla brakes, tires, etc., gives us more trusted options for service.

Like to add to tga's mention of emission exemptions. After a recent and slightly different inspection experience, I searched and found a thread on the Model S On-Board Diagnostics (OBD).
Does the Model S have an OBD-II connector?
The consensus seems to be that this standard 16-pin connection will not reveal much useful information. It also appears unlikely that a state emissions test computer system could interpret anything concerning vehicle emission data, especially since it doesn't produce any! So on my last NH state inspection, the technician found the standard port on the drivers side and proceeded to plug in. (Never had any other shop try this). He told me the state was now seeing that I had no emission errors and would pass. What a relief! Hindsight, I wish I had paid attention to what he was looking at on the shop monitor. Would be interested to hear from someone who might have an explanation or even speculation as to what a tech or the state can possibly view with their equipment.

Your inspection report should list inspection type of "safety only" as the vehicle is exempt from emissions. If it lists both safety and emissions, your shop doesn't know how to deal with EVs.

Attachments

• 20170923170737_DSC_0700a.jpg
    20170923170737_DSC_0700a.jpg
    413.1 KB · Views: 771
I got an inspection for my model 3 at audi in stratham nh.
No problem with no obd2 port.
Safety only.
$25 dollars.
Didn't put it up on the lift.
They said they had done inspections for a number of tesla vehicles before.
They even sold a tesla S a while back.

Reactions: kayak1 and chjch
I got an inspection for my model 3 at audi in stratham nh.
No problem with no obd2 port.
Safety only.
$25 dollars.
Didn't put it up on the lift.
They said they had done inspections for a number of tesla vehicles before.
They even sold a tesla S a while back.

I just asked them to do my Model S and they said they won't inspect Tesla vehicles due to the lifts they have.

No to self promote here.....
But we do a fair amount of Tesla State Inspections ($45). We also do brake services, tire rotations, 12V battery emplacement (we stock two). My shop is a European specialty shop, I'm also Tesla owner and we have a HPWC https://www.plugshare.com/view/location/162979.
Feel free to stop by or check us out.
https://www.duncansauto.com/
Plugshare link is broken - try PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You (remove "view/")

Last edited:
No to self promote here.....
But we do a fair amount of Tesla State Inspections ($45). We also do brake services, tire rotations, 12V battery emplacement (we stock two). My shop is a European specialty shop, I'm also Tesla owner and we have a HPWC https://www.plugshare.com/view/location/162979.
Feel free to stop by or check us out.
https://www.duncansauto.com/

Came by this week for my state inspection. (Model 3 LR DM). Was impressed by the friendliness of the front staff and the tidiness of the place. They clearly take pride in their business. Unfortunately the owner wasn’t there, so I really didn’t get a sense for how well the rest of the techs are experienced in Teslas apart from him, but the place made a great first impression. Although I probably would have declined, an offer of a wash or at least a vacuum would have been a nice touch. With no SCs in NH, it’s nice to have local options like this.

Reactions: duncansport
Came by this week for my state inspection. (Model 3 LR DM). Was impressed by the friendliness of the front staff and the tidiness of the place. They clearly take pride in their business. Unfortunately the owner wasn’t there, so I really didn’t get a sense for how well the rest of the techs are experienced in Teslas apart from him, but the place made a great first impression. Although I probably would have declined, an offer of a wash or at least a vacuum would have been a nice touch. With no SCs in NH, it’s nice to have local options like this.
Thanks for the kind words! I'm in PEI this and next week..
We usually wash/vac cars for our clients, perhaps the team thought it wasn't needed, nevertheless I'll need to check in with them.

Thank you for the feedback

Ben-

Reactions: kayak1